HP Computer Purchase.
Posted: 25 October 2014 12:39 AM  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2008-06-06

Hi.

My HP laptop`s warranty ran out about 6 months ago. The lap top has suddenly stopped working: nothing. Press the start button and nothing happens.
I know that in the UK the Sale of Goods Act protects consumers for incidents like this, beyond the manufacturer`s warranty.
I`ve heard that the same law exists across the E.U including Spain.
Can anyone guide me to what that law is specifically?

Thankyou eta eskerrik asko.

Tony

Posted: 27 October 2014 06:26 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2010-11-08

Hi Tony, It might be worth writing to the manufacturer directly as sometimes they will offer a ‘grace’ period of time beyond the stated warranty period. In my own experience I received some help with receiving a replacement faulty tv remote on a Philips television a few months after warrant expiry - o.k. not as pricey as a laptop but they just might offer you some help.

As for the laptop itself - does it not start at all even with the power cable attached?
I think you might be able to get it going if you perform a hard reset.

Posted: 29 October 2014 04:22 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2008-06-06

Hi Ian, thanks for the response.

Yeah it does fire up when I have it cable attached - but that`s not how it should be.  I use it for teaching and it`s become a bit untrustworthy.

I`ll try the hard reset and see what happens.  Once again thanks for your time.

Tony

Posted: 29 October 2014 06:58 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2010-11-08
phlaaps - 29 October 2014 04:22 PM

Hi Ian, thanks for the response.

Yeah it does fire up when I have it cable attached - but that`s not how it should be.  I use it for teaching and it`s become a bit untrustworthy.

I`ll try the hard reset and see what happens.  Once again thanks for your time.

Tony

The makers web site will tell you if there is a battery recall program. I think Dell had battery issues in the past and they offered replacements outside warranty so I’m sure other manufacturers may well do the same.

Worth checking.