Leaving Spain - Autonomo - Please help.
Posted: 15 November 2014 06:52 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2014-11-15

Please someone help me 😊

I’m leaving Spain and need to know what I’m supposed to do.

I’m an autonomo, Spanish resident with green credit card sized paper, my car has been matriculated from UK to Spanish plates.
I have an accountant, but what he is telling me never seems right, looking for a second opinion.

My final day is 21/11/2014. I want to close everything, pay what I owe and leave ASAP.

I am expecting to have to submit a Q4 tax return, I’m expecting a VAT/IVA payback from the UK I’m told from Feb onwards, I’m expecting to calculate my tax liability for 2014 (been paying 20%) which I’m told will be payable in about June 2015.

My accountant says I cannot de-register as a resident for 6 months. So quite how I ever become non-resident?
What else do I or my accountant (or someone recommend a good one) have to do.
Is it possible to go to the Tax agency and say - I’m leaving how much do I owe?

I plan to drive back to the UK, then ship my car outside the EU and register it there. Should I de-register in Spain?
I think I need to go to the trabajano (town hall place) and say I’m leaving on date xxx strike me from the register here.

And importantly, can I do any of this remotely? Or I should do all now?

Thanks.

Posted: 15 February 2017 01:28 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2017-02-15

As this is an old post, I imagine you have already left Spain and de-registered as autonomo etc..

How did it go?

Any problems?

I may reluctantly have to become autonomo in Spain for awhile and would like to know how easy it is to “de-autonomo” if things don’t work out .

Posted: 15 February 2017 01:39 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2014-11-15

Yep, done, not so easy, although everything is possible at a cost (not so much).

Went with accountant and assistant to police station, of course it even then stuffed up, because it’s spain and everyone stuffs everything up in my experience, even the police. So gave up residency then autonomo which was also done with de-register at tax office etc. i had to do myself!! very helpful and the most helpful, i de-registered at the local council/city municipality building where i said hey, you cant have me as living in this city anymore (elche).

yeah, like everything in spain, takes time, but possible. and probably a good idea.\then de-registered the car which was also pretty annoying, graham shelton did most of it remote. accountabt was good, but really always thought i was some criminal because he said everyone almost tries to cheat, and i was the first person ever to de-register and do things properly. sigh, good to loose ALL connection with spain, did my complete best to pay up everything i owed, probably something oweing but nobody with skills in accounting or tax to work out how to complete a process… why i left the country, dont appreciate this kind of lifestyle. each to their own though, fondly miss drives home along the beach in some ways.

Posted: 16 February 2017 06:24 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2017-02-15

Yep - sounds very familiar to experiences I have had of Spain.

Total chaos when it comes to paperwork / getting things done.

Sounds like it’s well worth using an accountant to help sort it out.