Poll
Do you know which of the following needs to be declared on the Modelo 720 Tax return?
Savings in the UK over Euro 50000? 0
Your rental property in the UK over Euro 50000? 0
Offshore Investments held in Isle of Man, Guernsey etc? 0
Spanish Compliant Investment Bonds held in Ireland? 0
Total Votes: 0
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Independent Financial Advice for Expats in Mallorca
Posted: 05 August 2015 10:54 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2015-04-23

Independent Financial Adviser to Expats in the Balearics.

Are you an Expat in Spain or thinking of a move to Spain?

Apart from all the usual things to think about life in Spain I would say top of your list should be getting your finances in order. You may have noticed that the austerity measures introduced as a result of the financial crisis in Spain have given rise to the Spanish Tax Authorities (Hacienda) looking for ways to top up the pot. Expats have traditionally been seen as an easy target for increased taxes.

Sound familiar?

This need not be the case. Legitimate Spanish tax compliant solutions from Internationally recognised companies can be used to protect much of your savings and wealth from taxation.

I am often asked by Expats: What happens to my wealth if I die?

For residents of Spain, Spanish Succession law applies to your worldwide assets, it also applies when assets are passed to your spouse either during your life or on death. A recent change by the EU (effective Aug 2015) allows you to make a choice of your native country or country of residence with regards to Inheritance Tax ? How do you chose?

Are my current savings and investments tax efficient?

Your UK & Offshore (Isle of Man, Jersey etc.) bank accounts and investments including PEP’s, ISA’s and National Savings are not recognised under Spanish Law as being tax protected or efficient and are liable to tax in Spain at the highest rate and they need to be declared on the Modelo 720 tax return above a certain sum. Have you declared yet?

My Pension is in the UK, is this still the best place for it now I am a Spanish resident?

For many their pension is their largest asset after their home, careful thought should be given to ensuring the tax efficiency and safety of your pension fund. Should the pension remain in the UK or is it better elsewhere? How can Income be structured to pay the lowest possible tax?.

Professional, regulated advice should be sought in all circumstances, get in touch via the forum or email me if you need to talk.

Sandy Paterson DipFA, CeMAP
Independent Financial Adviser

Signature