I Phone ins Europe and in Spain?
Posted: 06 September 2007 02:36 AM  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  86
Joined  2007-07-09

A freind of mine which works in Sillicon Valley, California has just told me news that are circulating there about the Iphone released in Europe. It seems so far that Vodafone is out of the picture. This is due because Vodafone wants exclusivity for all Europe and Apple is not willing to due that. Also another situation is that most of the European markets run on 3g UMTS Gsm networks and this is different than the U.S which uses a GSM Edge network . So they are manufacturing a 3g version for European carriers and so far O2 which services Uk and Ireland and Germany is ahead of everyone else. 02 is a subsidiary of telefonica which also the parent company of Movistar so sources say that movistar will more than likely get exclusivity for Spain and Portugal. In regards to France it seems like a reality that Orange will be the carrier there. All the rumors about T-Mobile being the first carrier to get it are disapearing quickly due in fact O2 also services germany. The realeased date in Europe for UK, Ireland, Germany will be somewhere in November and for France the same with Orange. As for Spain they are talking about February 2008 for launch. As for Japan which uses Technology like the U.S they will get it by Summer next year. Let me expain the difference of technology. In the U.S Japan and allot of Asian countries they use CDMA Developed by US company Qualcomm. It has been proved that CDMA is far more superior in voice quality, signal stability, data transfers than GSM. In the US Verizon, Sprint and smaller carriers like alltel and others use CDMA. AT&T former ( Cingular) uses GSM as for T-Mobile. In The U.S GSM is fairly new but because more people in world like Latin america Europe and Oceanic Countries AT&T decided to be more compatible using GSM. In Japan NTT Docomo is the largest mobile company in Japan and in asia the use CDMA EVDO technology so far the news is that Docomo will developed a parallel GSM network to support the I-phone there and that is going to take time. So far the news for us in Spain is that will get it after christmas but telefonica will become in Europe the main carrier with 02 and Movistar. As for latin america Telefonica has the upper hand because they are getting it in Europe that the Movistar brand in latin america will probably get it too.

Posted: 06 September 2007 02:42 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Wow, great info dig rokipatel! Keep us up to date if you hear anything more. What do you think of the new iPods?

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 10 September 2007 12:44 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-09

I was one of the lucky ones before i left Miami to get an Iphone from AT&T which i still paid because i will be travelling every 3 months back to the U.S to check in some of my business. Since then i have been roaming with my I-phone using Vodafone network and the service is great. But i am paying very expensive roaming rates that made me decide last week to get a Spanish phone which i got with vodafone. Yesterday i left in a hurry to meet some friends for lunch at Antonio in Puerto Banus and i took my iphone this is the first time i talk it our in public mainly i used parked in my car but i tried not to use it in Public because i don’t want people to touch it so much and break it. I am telling you when i received a call form my sister in the U.S and i took that phone out MAN! this people went crazy they all wanted to get their hands on it and they were surprised why i have not told them i have an Iphone roaming in Spain. Let me tell you people from nearby tables got up to see me play with the phone Brits, Spaniards allot of people. I really do not know what apple is waiting there are so many people that want the iphone in Spain and in Europe that i do not understand the delay. My phone has been working excellent with vodafone internet, gps calls everything. Allot of discussion when around the table who is going to get it in Spain Brits hope is Vodafone so they could use it everywhere Spaniards say that Movistar has better signal in Spain i dont know i was just hoping they did not brake my phone. Like i said in the previous post O2 is sounding very strong to be the first to get it in Europe for the UK and Germany and Orange for France. In regards to Spain everything points out until next year maybe mid year???????

Posted: 10 September 2007 01:03 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-09

Adding to that i have not seen Iphone here in Spain not even by some americans that are roaming. But i was very surprised my Neighbor is a tech freak he is Either the man in Charge or second i am not sure for UBS Espana he pretty much travels every week between Madrid and Marbella Office. He went as far to ask his counterpart in New york which is a good friend of his to get him an Iphone from the U.S with AT&T he pays the contract thru internet like i do and he is one of the only ones in Spain that has it. But he told me that there are allot of wealthy bankers in Madrid with offices in the U.S that have gotten the Iphone too. I cannot believed that, i will not go out of my way so much for a phone i got it because i also have residency in the U.S and some of my customers need to reach me with a local US Phone.

Posted: 25 September 2007 09:46 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-09

It is official like previously said in my above post Orange will launch the I-Phone in France as early as November also Bloomberg is reporting that T-Mobile will released it in Germany and also by that time and O2 will released it in the UK and Ireland . Is being reported that Steve Jobs will be in Europe to unveil releases in those markets. Bloomberg is also reporting that Italy and Spain will be next for releases by Spring 2008. Bloomberg is also reporting that for Spain Movistar will be the carrier due to the fact that O2 is property of telefonica this company probably negotiated the rights for release in Spain.

For those who live in Spain customers of Amena ( Now Orange Espana) and have all Europe roaming plans can easily get the I-phone across the border and slip a Spanish Orange sim card for local service. Now this was publish by engadget in order to do that you must obtain the I-phone from an independent authorize distributor in France, because Orange stores in France will required ID that you are a resident of France to purchase the I-phone.

In regards to other news the American giant AT&T has publish that because of the I-Phone the have added millions of wireless customers to their network provided that AT&T plans to be the most dominant wireless carrier in North America and plans to also become the world most powerful communication company. At this moment AT&T is second to Verizon Comunications in regards to market capitalization and Share. Verizon might be the 2nd wireless carrier in the U.S and the 5th Wireless carrier in the world but it is the Largest Telecommunication Company in the world by Market Cap. Verizon Operates almost 150 milion land lines in the U.S plus has the most advance and Largest Infrastructure in the World. Recent moves from Verizon selling Latin American Operations in Dominican Republic, Puerto rico and Venezuela are seemed like moves that Verizon will concentrate in the U.S. AT&T will become by next year worlds largest telecommunications by Market cap this is due by its aggressive expansion in Residential telecommunications, DSL and foremost Digital tv. Rumors point out AT&T is prepared to make an offer that will make Drectv part of the AT&T family. In regards to World Expansion company officials have said off the record that next year AT&T will acquired or merged with one of Europes biggest players as a move to introduce the AT&T brand world wide industry analyst are pointing out that EU reforms in telecommunications are very important to deregulate the Industry Monopolies in wireless as well as Landlines. One company official points out that countries like France, Germany, Spain keep large stakes in countries telecom monopolies that make it hard for Mergers and Aquisitions but he sees that laws are being pass in order to attract investment. Industry analyst say that AT&T and T-mobile have signed various cooperation agreements for Network usage in the U.S and Europe. An industry analyst that doesn’t want to be recognizes says it is probable that by 2009 AT&T will either merged with T-mobile ( D-Telekom)  under an AT&T Brand!!!!  but this is not confirmed…..

Posted: 08 October 2007 12:31 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  66
Joined  2007-06-08

Sorry, but isn?t that thing you?re talking about just a phone?????????

Hardly worth all this rambling, in my book….

Sorry

Posted: 08 October 2007 10:11 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05
vetlel - 08 October 2007 12:31 PM

Sorry, but isn?t that thing you?re talking about just a phone?????????

Hardly worth all this rambling, in my book….

Sorry

Hi Vetlel, no, sorry, I think you’re confused. We’re not talking about “just a phone.” Look it up.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 04 October 2008 05:08 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-10-04

What I needed was a European cell phone I could use during my trips abroad.
And after doing some research I decide to stay with callineurope.com the rates they offer look more competitive compared to few sources I verified. And I won’t have to pay any monthly fees and will be able to reroute my US number.

Posted: 04 October 2008 06:10 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

just get top up phone in spain and it cheap