L.A. Times Article
Posted: 18 October 2007 10:30 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-10-18

The L.A. Times article from 10/16/07 is making some folks back in the states (and in other western nations) shake their heads. To them, bullfighting is something that should no longer be tolerated in a civilized nation.  At the very least,  Spanish tourism and trade will suffer.

Posted: 24 October 2007 09:40 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  66
Joined  2007-06-08

Because one american newspaper writes an article???
I would have thought, all the other exposure on the subject, all over the world, could have some effect as well…

Posted: 31 January 2008 03:33 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2007-10-02

To be perfectly honest I think bullfighting is cruel.

I think it should be banned. I mean, in Spain they don’t show boxing on normal TV channels because it’s considered immoral, yet bullfighting is fine?

Doesn’t make sense to me.

I realise many influential and powerful people in Spain live off bullfighting. As for tourism though, I don’t think you find many tourists going to watch bullfights. It’s mostly locals. Tourists prefer to visit the bullrings solely for their architecture and history.

As for the running of the bulls / calfs…

This one gets my approval. This one does attract tourists and represents no cruelty to the animals. It’s also great to watch people get run over or gored by the chasing bulls (I’m sorry but if someone want’s that thrill they gotta live with the risks just like skiing or any other dangerous sport).

They could replace bullfighting with bulljumping that I’ve seen some kids do. That would very entertaining.

Signature 

Rentals Estepona - Apartments, Townhouses and Villas for rent in Estepona.
Satellite Sotogrande - Satellite Installations in Sotogrande and the Costa del Sol.

Posted: 01 February 2008 03:01 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

sandmadd where you from ? Thinking you from Usa . Bullfihting is Cruel but it a past time ,  bullfighting remains similar to the way it was in 1726, when Francisco Romero, from Ronda, Spain, used the estoque, a sword, to kill the bull, and the muleta, a small cape used in the last stage of the fight. been around long time . but like sayying ban the superbowl as it all money driving ( not because its a sport )
Each state , counrty has to give up some think like sport driving music drinking it

Marcosll you wrong about bullfighting been show on free tv channels , http://www.tve.es website ” In August 2007, state-run Spanish TV cancelled live coverage of bullfights claiming that the coverage was too violent for children who might be watching, and that live coverage violated a voluntary, industry-wide code attempting to limit “sequences that are particularly crude or brutal.”
next think we see is the Easter Parade in spain are running off the bulls been cancelled

Its there way off life
jurdy

Posted: 01 February 2008 02:45 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2007-10-02

Thanks for the update Jurdyr,

Didn’t realise that bullfighting is no longer shown on TV. I must say though I completely agree with this.

Signature 

Satellite Sotogrande - Satellite Installations in Sotogrande and the Costa del Sol.

Posted: 01 February 2008 03:51 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2006-09-27

I am very glad to say that corridas are shown on Canal Sur (Andalucia) and Estremadura TV.  They are an incredible display of bravery and talent, however watching or attending is not compulsory.  If you don’t appreciate it, don’t watch!

Don’t move to Spain and then criticize aspects of their culture because you think your “moral values” are superior.  That attitude causes Spaniards to resent immigrants and causes problems for those who wish to settle in.

Posted: 01 February 2008 03:59 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2007-10-02

Well let’s see…

Firstly, I am Spanish so I have a full right to voice my opinion about my own country.

Secondly, it is hypocritical and wrong to have laws prohibiting cruelty to animals (such as dogs) and allow bullfighting.

Thirdly, if you call being against cruelty “superior morals”, then yes, my morals are superior to yours.

Signature 

Posted: 01 February 2008 04:43 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  303
Joined  2006-03-16

If you’re strongly against bullfighting, you really should be vegan, or at least vegetarian, to be consistent.  I suppose the corrida is bloodthirsty, but the bulls have an excellent life until the day they fight and die.  Contrast it with the months of misery many intensively reared farm animals endure so that we can eat them.  On the other hand, if you do eat meat and still object to bullfighting, then you’re presumably unhappy about the concept of people enjoying a spectacle that includes the violent death of an animal, rather than the fact of the act itself taking place. That may be a philosophically valid position, just, but I can’t see how you could get seriously upset about it and still tuck into a burger. And sandmadd, if a nation’s tourism was badly effected by its brutality, nobody would ever visit the United States…

Signature 

Martin, Scotland and the Alpujarra.  http://www.casasierra.blogspot.com

Posted: 01 February 2008 04:54 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2007-10-02

I’m against vegans too 😊

Most of the food I eat seems to live quite happily actually. But if you know any farms where they misstreat animals you should probably call the authorities.

As I said before what I’m against is inconsistent laws. If they allow bullfighting they should allow dog fights, cock fights, etc…

But in general, yeah, cruelty for sport I would consider immoral. Cruelty for food / survival I’m fine with. It’s a distinction that I’m sure you’re capable of making right? I hope?

Signature 

Posted: 01 February 2008 05:27 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2006-09-27

What is your definition of cruelty?  Cattle for human consumption are generally killed before they are two years old, and reared intensively in somewhat unnatural surroundings.  Fighting bulls are usually 4 -5 years old when they go in the ring, and have ranged free.  Which is more cruel?

Dog and cock fights cannot be compared with bullfighting.  The former are merely a way of humans to gamble on an outcome, like horse-racing.  There is, as well, no element of skill or bravery shown by the owners of the dogs.  In a corrida the outcome is rarely in doubt, though I have seen two bulls last year “pardoned” for their bravery, but the humans definitely are at risk. 

Bullfighting is not a sport, but an art and you have to look at it differently, however I don’t suppose you will be convinced by what I say, so why don’t you accept that other people think contrary to you instead of proclaiming yourself “morally superior”?

Posted: 01 February 2008 07:29 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2007-10-02

Cruel: extremely unkind and unpleasant and causing pain to people or animals intentionally.

My definition of cruel is apparently the same as the dictionary definition of cruel. What’s YOUR definition of cruel?

Signature 

Posted: 01 February 2008 09:34 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-16

Just out of interest; are bulls from the corridas eaten?  I know the famous dish “rabo de toro” is so widespread that it can’t all come from fighting bulls killed in the ring, but those big carcasses have to go somewhere, don’t they?

And MarcosII, you say you don’t have a problem with “cruelty for survival”. But eating meat isn’t something you do “for survival” unless you’re stranded on a desert island. In fact, we’d all survive a lot better if we stopped eating meat altogether. I’m not a vegetarian myself, but I don’t like the hypocracy shown by people who eat meat but don’t like to witness or even think about the death that goes into the product.  Personally I think if you want to eat meat, you should be prepared to kill and butcher your own animal. Que viva la matanza!

Signature 

Posted: 01 February 2008 10:02 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2007-10-02

Actually bulls are eaten after a bullfight which makes it not so bad.

You obviously didn’t understand (or bother reading) the definition of cruel otherwise you wouldn’t have made up a silly phrase like “cruelty for survival?.

I stopped reading your reply after you came out with that phrase and I consider this conversation over. I’m not replying to any more posts by you on this thread.

Signature 

Posted: 01 February 2008 10:09 PM   [ # 13 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-16
Marcosll - 01 February 2008 04:54 PM

I’m against vegans too 😊

Cruelty for food / survival I’m fine with.

They were your words, Marcosll, not something I “made up”.

Signature 

Posted: 02 February 2008 08:24 AM   [ # 14 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

no more BBQ rib are no pigs then HA Ha Ha