Hello - anyone in Vic or nearby?
Posted: 05 December 2007 08:31 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-12-05

Hello!

I?ve just moved to Vic after living in Barcelona for 2 years. Wondering if there are any more english speakers here…. feeling a little lost amongst all the Catalans here! Be great to meet with fellow expats. Missing all things english at the moment!!

I am 34, and live with my partner and my daughter (5 years old). Both speak fluent Catalan….not me :-(!!

Anyway, if there is anyone in the area please get in touch!

thank youuuuu,

Donna

Posted: 05 December 2007 11:40 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Cool, how’s Vic?

As an aside, I always found it secretly hilarious when the Catalans would talk about being from “beek” (prounced), as it reminded me of a bic pen.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 06 December 2007 03:08 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2007-12-04

Hello Donna, welcome to the Forum.

Two years in Barcelona and you still do not speak Catalonian or Spanish? You will always feel lost among them if you do not learn one of their languages. It is very nice to meet other Expats but try to make your way with the locals too.

Posted: 07 December 2007 12:43 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-12-05

Hi Martin.

I do speak Spanish! Its Catalan I don?t speak. Before i arrived I knew nothing of the Spanish/Catalan languages. I have spent 2 years attending evening school in Barcelona twice weekly in order to learn Spanish (I primarily chose Spanish as the first language to learn as its the most widely understood, and we also did not forsee a move to Vic in the near future). I also work for a spanish company in Barcelona and have to survive using Spanish only. So I think I have been making the affort!

The problem is that, even learning a language, after two years I still don?t feel completely fluently comfortable in social situations, and thats why it would just be nice to meet someone in the area who is English speaking. Of course, I get by with the Spanish (in response to their Catalan, which I understand in the main but don?t yet speak)....but it is just not the same as having a conversation with a native English speaker…

Donna

Posted: 08 December 2007 01:30 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2007-12-04

Yes Donna, now I understand. You did right learning Spanish. I understand now that you prefer a native English speaker. Being an expatriate has advantages and disadvantages…......Martin.

Posted: 15 August 2013 01:23 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2013-08-15

Hello Donna, are you still in Vic? My husband is Brittish and I am from Barcelona. We moved to a little village 30 min away from Vic about 3 weeks ago. We have been away from Europe for about 6 years and coming back here is a big cultural shock even for me (the bureacracy, the working hours, the noise!). We have 2 little children. I’d love to meet you and see how is your Catalan going! Eva