Motorhoming in Autumn
Posted: 17 February 2008 05:09 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-02-17

Hi Everyone. I’m looking for some general advice. I’ve recently retired and my wife and I have bought a motorhome. We plan to travel from the UK with our border collie (pet passported already) in around late September time, to take advantage of the warmer weather. We plan to be away for upto three months. At the same time we plan to explore some areas with the view to moving to Spain permanantly for retirement. I know these are ‘how long is a piece of string’ questions, but we are looking for the right areas to check out. Neither of us have been to Spain before. We need some nice places to stay with the motorhome, dog friendly, and with a good expat community to take advantage of. Coastal and inland is great, we don’t mind. Any suggestions will be noted and explored. Thanks for your time.

Posted: 18 February 2008 02:30 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2007-12-04

Hi Captain_C,
it’s good to meet another adventurous motor caravaner.

Me and my husband travelled out to Spain (Granada region) in a motor caravan (an old American RV) in August 2006.  We had already bought a house which we were employing a ‘project manager-builder’ to renovate and the idea was that we would live in our RV for a short time, while the renovations were being carried out.  As we had two large hounds (we have since ‘adopted’ a stray as well), bringing them out with us in the RV seemed the ideal solution (less stress for them and a moveable ‘home’ for us).  Remembering our experiences of motor caravaning prompted me to answer your post.

Firstly, choose your area/region with care.  I would recommend sticking to coastal areas for a couple of reasons.  First, that is where you are most likely to find an expat community, but secondly, and more important, living in a motorcaravan for a number of months in Autumn has its disadvantages.  September in Spain can be hot, and in inland areas it can be blistering hot!  Our RV was made of aluminium - it conducts heat.  In the day temperatures outside rose to the mid 30s, but in the van they often topped 40c.  It was like living in an oven! 
However, with October, nights become increasingly cold - particularly in inland and higher regions (Granada, although in the South of Spain, is pretty high and gets very, very cold on winter nights!).  At that time a motor caravan can literally turn into a fridge!  We had to go out and buy a new oil-filled radiator and a fan heater, and sit huddled around it.  But that had its problems, as the camp site we stayed at had an electricity supply of 230 volts - 16 amps - not enough to run a heater and boil a kettle at the same time - you learn to adapt quickly in those situations.  And the campsite we stayed at had a higher electricity supply than most.  Some you would have difficulty boiling a kettle without the supply tripping out.

It’s a long, painful story, (which relates to errant builders and many mistakes ...) but we lived in that RV all through the winter.  It was a very cold winter too - Spain was covered in snow for weeks almost from one end to the other.  We finally moved into our (unfinished) house in April 2007.  I look back now at that time and wonder how we made it through!

But enough of our experiences.  Don’t let me put you off!

What I would suggest is that you and your wife look at some books for starters.  We found Alan Roger’s ‘Camping and Caravanning 2006 Europe’ and ‘Camping and Caravanning 2006 Spain and Portugal’ (hopefully there will now be a 2008 one) quite useful, also the AA’s ‘Caravan and Camping Europe’ was perhaps more useful. We also bought a book on Campsites in Europe produced by the Caravan Club,  which was the most detailed and helpful of all.  All these books give details of caravanning and camping sites all over Europe and list facilities at each site - showers, wc, snack bar, electricity supply, RV waste disposal points, etc, plus, most important for yourselves, whether dogs are welcome.  They also give details of pricing, opening times (many campsites close down in October until the following summer and of those that remain open, many close down their ‘tourist facilities’ - swimming pools, snack bars, shops etc, by early to late September).  The books also give contact details (many of these sites have web addresses you can look up).  I would also recommend ‘Googling’ ‘caravan sites in Spain’ or something similar, on the net, as that is how we eventually found the site we stayed at.

But be prepared for ‘enhanced’  descriptions of sites and facilities.  The one we stayed at was friendly and welcoming (especially for dogs) and we were to discover later, was better than most in the area, but the ‘launderette’ was a set of stone sinks with cold water based outside, and the ‘full shower facilities’ were old, draughty, and unheated and most days you got a cold shower as well.  Not quite as the website described it!  And this does appear to be the case for many caravan/camping sites in Europe - after all, they seem to expect ‘caravanners’ to be a hardy lot!

As to preparations for your trip, if you have a petpassport for your dog, please check the validity of the rabies shot before you leave, as without up-to-date confirmation that your dog is completely safe, you will be able to take it out of the UK, but you won’t be able to bring it back in again, so, if you haven’t done that already, I would suggest doing that well before you embark.

When returning to the UK, your collie must see a European vet within 24 hours of your scheduled departure time for tic and worm treatment and the vet’s stamp to show this has been done.  There are vets available to do this in the vicinity of all French ports.

You must have High Visibility Vests available in your motor caravan for all on board and if you are pulled over for a check by gendarmes/trafficos (as can often happen to vans with UK plates), please put your vests on before leaving the vehicle - it’s an instant fine if you don’t.  But you can read up on all this in the books I recommended.

When travelling through France, there are many ‘aires’ you can stay at for the night if you don’t make the campsite on time, they have a variable range of facilities (some excellent, some a w/c ‘hole in the ground’ ).  But if you do choose this, please make sure your vehicle is securely locked before going to bed and it is recommended that you park next to another motor caravan or two (there seems to be ‘safety in numbers’ - although I must say we didn’t find this a particular problem).

Make sure your vehicle’s documents are in order for the duration of your trip.

And get good breakdown insurance.  It could prove invaluable.

I’ve run out of space so that’s all I can say for now!  But good luck.  You’ll love Spain, just make sure your are well prepared for your trip!

Posted: 18 February 2008 03:17 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-02-17

Bloody Hell! In the 17 years I as an Airline Captain I never received such an excellent and comprehensive briefing. Some good tips there and thanks for your effort. I certainly think that coastal regions will be where we shall head off to for the bulk of our stay. If there are any suggestions as to exactly where then I’m all ears. I’m looking for a lively ex-pat area but avoiding what I call the ‘Ibiza’ crowd. I’m sure you know what I mean. I’m hoping that the gas heating on the motorhome will do us nicely for any cold nights, and I’m seriously looking at getting aircon fitted before we set off from the uk. I’m lucky to have a good friend who is a vet nurse so hopefully no slip-ups with the pet passport system. Thanks again for your response, and I appreciate all replies.

Posted: 18 February 2008 04:35 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

Hi, Captain C, Welcome aboard…
Couple of points to add to zanias reply…
If Zania is pilot (NF) then I must be pilot (F). Husband and wife, and me an avionics engineer of forty years experience…

Re Air-Ccon definitely worth the expense of installation. The unit we had on our monster struggled to get the interior temp down by 10 degrees F!

Gas; You dont say whether your M/H uses bottled gas or has an integral LPG tank. If its bottled then not too much of a problem, bottles are generally available from Repsol and Campsa garages. If however like ours it has an integral tank then I must tell you that LPG stations are few and far between in Spain. You would be best advised to check out Repsols website.

General: the whole coast line known as the Costa del Sol is also known as the Costa del Concrete, but there are a hell of a lot of Brits along this coastal strip say from Fuengirola in the west to Nerja in the east. (Torremolinos and Benalmadena have been virtually taken over by Brits and there is a possible Ibiza Crowd influence…) Nerja to Salobrena lots of Brits but dare I say it not the Torremolinos crowd…
Unable to comment on other areas beyond Granada and Malaga Provinces.

As for routings through Spain North to South… Most GPS routes will have you follow the M30/M40 through Madrid… definite NO-NO!
I am assuming you intend to travel N-S in which case Madrid is unavoidable but If you leave the E5 at Jarama to the North of Madrid, there is in existence the M50 which routes between Barajas and the Spanish Airforce base at Torrejon. It can be a bit confusing but not nearly as confusing as central Madrid in the rush hour!

Good luck with your venture.

Maybe someone else can jump in with some help with different regions…

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Posted: 08 March 2008 12:34 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2008-03-08

Can I suggest if you’re coming down skirting Madrid… check out the following : Cuenca, Segovia, Salamanca and Toledo - all fabulous places and all have campsites near to the towns with buses in if you like campsiting it.  We travelled up from the costa blnca in our m/h when on the way to Galicia and had a great time.  My tip - stay away from the coast totally…... much nicer inland!
We’re off to Girona in August and to explore that side of Spain next.

Signature 

http://www.spanishtownhouseforsale.piczo.com

Posted: 08 March 2008 01:23 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-02-17

Many thanks to you all for all the comments and information. I will print off this entire thread and take it with me when we eventually set off on our adventures. Keep em coming…...