Speaking Castilian
Posted: 02 March 2008 09:07 AM  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2007-12-27

Another question - sorry guys!

My family and I are currently learning Castilian Spanish.  Is this the standard Spanish spoken throughout Spain?

We’re looking to move to Spain this summer and would like to live in a city/region where the children will be fully exposed to Castilian Spanish. 

My question is - where is the best place for us to move to if we only want to hear and speak Castilian Spanish?

I would really appreciate your help on this.

Many thanks.

Adrian

Posted: 03 March 2008 07:04 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  303
Joined  2006-03-16

Castilian or Castellano is just the more precise name for the language that most people call Spanish, and as such it’s spoken throughout Spain and Spanish-speaking countries in Latin America and elsewhere.  In Spain there are three other main languages and a few tiny pockets of other minority languages.  Gallego is like Portuguese and is spoken in the far North West, Basque is spoken in the Basque Country (obviously) and Navarra, although it’s so difficult that lots of Basques don’t speak it very well.  The one to really look out for is Catalan, which is spoken in Catalunya, the Balearic Islands and parts of Valencia, France and Sardinia, with between 5 and 10 million speakers, depending on who is quoting the statistics.  This really is the first and dominant language in many areas and it’s said you can go right through school and University in Catalunya without studying any Spanish.  I think you’re right to avoid Catalan-speaking areas unless you plan to stay for the long term - not because there’s anything wrong with them (on the contrary, they’re fabulous), but if you want to learn Spanish properly, it will make things difficult and confusing. So for pure Spanish, you’re left with everywhere else - i.e. most of inland Spain and the Med coast from the Portuguese border up as far as Valencia (with the Catalan/Spanish border being quite vague and porous around there), most of the North including the coast in Cantabria and Asturias, and the Canaries. 

Within Castilian Spanish areas, you naturally have accents, as in English.  In Andalucia, Extremadura, Murcia and the Canaries, pronunciation and slang is distinct from standard Spanish (more like Latin American), but is not so different as to make things too difficult.  The equivalent of “Home Counties” or “BBC” English is probably found most around Salamanca, Burgos, Leon - cities with universities, cathedrals and often old-fashioned ways and manners.

Signature 

Martin, Scotland and the Alpujarra.  http://www.casasierra.blogspot.com

Posted: 03 March 2008 07:33 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-27

Hi Martcross

I really appreciate the time that you took to write such an informative reply.

Many thanks.

Posted: 03 March 2008 07:52 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  303
Joined  2006-03-16

No problem at all.  I’m sitting in my office in Glasgow watching the snow outside turn to slush, and if I didn’t spend my time replying to queries on SpainExpat.com, I might be reduced to doing some work….

Signature 

Martin, Scotland and the Alpujarra.  http://www.casasierra.blogspot.com

Posted: 03 March 2008 08:02 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-27

Doesn’t that Glaswegian weather push you to just hop on a plane and head to Spain?!!?

Just for the record, I’m in my flat in Beijing watching another hotel being constructed for the Olympic Games.

Posted: 04 March 2008 12:09 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05
MartCross - 03 March 2008 07:52 PM

No problem at all.  I’m sitting in my office in Glasgow watching the snow outside turn to slush, and if I didn’t spend my time replying to queries on SpainExpat.com, I might be reduced to doing some work….

LOL :D

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 25 September 2008 07:32 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2008-09-25
adrianmark - 02 March 2008 09:07 AM

Another question - sorry guys!

My family and I are currently learning Castilian Spanish.  Is this the standard Spanish spoken throughout Spain?

We’re looking to move to Spain this summer and would like to live in a city/region where the children will be fully exposed to Castilian Spanish. 

My question is - where is the best place for us to move to if we only want to hear and speak Castilian Spanish?

I would really appreciate your help on this.

Many thanks.

Adrian

Move to Asturias!!!

Signature 

Don’t bug Me…..Hug Me!

Posted: 25 September 2008 01:43 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-27

Thanks for the information but why would you suggest that I choose that area?

Adrianmark

Posted: 25 September 2008 07:28 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-09-25
adrianmark - 25 September 2008 01:43 PM

Thanks for the information but why would you suggest that I choose that area?

Adrianmark

Good question.

I live there 18 years, beside of, you will learn the Castilian or (Cate?ano) you will also learn the old (Caste?ano) to the Est you have the Catalan mix probably you will have to learn Catalan and no so good Castilian, (they Catalu?a people, are no to enthusiastic about speaking Castilian) Madrid would be OK, however if you truly like to learn the Culture (some of the regions are mix with turist like “south Est and big city’s” ) you will learn the language but mix cultures.

So what is left? North and northwest, to the very West you have Galicia (good region) the speak some mix with Portugues, (nothing wrong with that language OK?) since you like to learn the language “Cate?ano” so there, are not to many places the you will get the flavor of the true “new and old Caste?ano” at the same time.

And Culture like Asturias and the Sidra y Marisco nothing like in Spain!

The most friendly people, I am from there!!!

Hope it helps.

a friendly guy.

Signature 

Don’t bug Me…..Hug Me!

Posted: 27 September 2008 08:32 AM   [ # 9 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-27

Hi Olmo

Thanks very much for all your great information.

I will definitely check out that area and I hope everyone is as friendly as you.

Have a nice day.

Adrian

Posted: 27 September 2008 10:07 AM   [ # 10 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-09-25
adrianmark - 27 September 2008 08:32 AM

Hi Olmo

Thanks very much for all your great information.

I will definitely check out that area and I hope everyone is as friendly as you.

Have a nice day.

Adrian

You welcome!

Signature 

Don’t bug Me…..Hug Me!