Mobile Broadband
Posted: 04 March 2008 11:08 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-03-04

Looking through the forum there seems to be alot of people having broadband problems.

I am on the Costa Del sol (Estepona) and have recently got connected to the net using vodafones 3G Mobile broadband. Its pay as you go and by plugging a small USB dongle into my computer it works anywhere in Spain (like a mobile phone). You can go straight to vodafone for this but for a bit more cash the guy that helped me get it sorted was READ RULES PLEASE < WEB SITE GONE who offered full English support and was very helpful. Total 295e for all equipment including my first 3 months and 60e for a further 3 months (although this is data related)

Hope this helps someone

Posted: 05 March 2008 07:36 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

Yes Orange and good old Movistar both offer USB plug-in devices for broadband over the mobile phone network as well - and to be honest I think they are both cheaper than Vodaphone.

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

Posted: 01 May 2009 11:25 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2007-12-31

paulallan, you are a complete chump! you’ve been HAD…badly!!
we’re with vodaphone and we didn’t pay a penny for setup.
we do pay ?50 a month but thats because we are data junkies and cann’t stand download limits.
295e ???
do you spend like this normally ? go and get a dictionary and look up the word “thrift”

Posted: 02 May 2009 01:52 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05
andreavarga - 01 May 2009 11:25 PM

paulallan, you are a complete chump! you’ve been HAD…badly!!
we’re with vodaphone and we didn’t pay a penny for setup.
we do pay ?50 a month but thats because we are data junkies and cann’t stand download limits.
295e ???
do you spend like this normally ? go and get a dictionary and look up the word “thrift”

I’m sure there are more constructive ways to make the same point…

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 21 May 2009 10:06 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2009-04-30

Hi all sorry to interrupt :D

I’m moving over on the 1st June and have an internet based job. I’ll be living close to Valencia and the owners of my new home are unsure whether we’ll be able to have broadband connected due to the locatiion. They are however 100% positive that receeiving wireless broadband is not a problem. So I was just wondering if anyone knew which company would be the best to go with?

Aside from a fast connection I need a relatively fast turn around setting it up and preferably one that deals with foreigners as I have yet to absorb the Spanish language haha

Any help greatly appreciated-if you need to pm me that’s fine :D

Thanks

Emma & Luke

Posted: 21 May 2009 10:14 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  550
Joined  2008-09-12

With Mobile Internet your capped to around 1gb after that you get p*ss poor connection until the next month…

Advise is call Telefonica etc.. from were you are now and ask them to see if its possible to do a line check to see what broadband you get…

Mobile internet so far is naff and not reliable.

Mac

Posted: 21 May 2009 10:24 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2009-04-30

Thanks for that. I was told Telefonica are total rubbish to be honest. Heard a lot about WiMax though-whatever that is! I searched WiMax and it just came up with a resources page so don’t know how you’d go about getting it :S

Emma & Luke

Posted: 27 May 2009 04:49 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-05-27

I live near Ontinyent, Communidad Valenciana.

We had Movistar mobile internet for 18 months, ok but only dial up speed and 40E a month so it wasn’t cheap.

Moved on to Vodafone Espana unlimited 3G+ for 50E a month which was great for the first 9 months, but is now absolutely useless. It used to run like an on all the time high speed connection. Now we are lucky for it to stay connected for more than a few minutes during the day. Admittedly it does get better after about 10pm, so I’m assuming that Vodafone have saturated here and cannot handle the volume.

I’ve written to them twice but so far they have chosen to ignore me.

Has any one else come across this and if so how did you sort it out?

From where I’m sitting it looks like a case of waiting until the contract runs out and then go somewhere else.

Regards

Phill

ps Couldn’t run the spelling check because my connection disconnected….......AGAIN

Posted: 31 May 2009 03:26 AM   [ # 8 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  120
Joined  2008-03-18

Try first DSL over landline, afterwards for Iberbanda or finally a 3G solutions (Movistar gives normally best coverage). If you pm I can look at the direction if you can get dsl or iberbanda.

Regards

Posted: 03 June 2009 10:45 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-05-27

Hi Pieter,

I appreciate what you’re saying but I’m still tied in to this contract for another 5 months.

I’ve written to Vodafone, no reply of course.

I’ve tried 100 155 and 123 000 and to be honest the quality of the recorded messages is so poor I doubt whether anyone could understand what they were saying.

It’s a waste of time going in to the shop, they just tell you to call 155.

As far as I am concerned they want your money and after that they don’t give a damn. Hang on that sounds like the definition of a telecom supplier.

I’ll pm you with my direccion (thanks) in the hope that I can sort something better when this contract expires.

My only advice to anyone else is don’t sign up for mobile braodband unless you absolutely have to, and don’t assume just because you can get a good service now, you will still have that service in 12 months time.

Phill

Posted: 04 June 2009 01:44 AM   [ # 10 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-18

Phill , I guess it’s more than 12 months, now operators normally make 18 months contract.

To avoid this I often recommend to get contract without any device or mobile added to the contract, with this you’re unbound to minimum contract length and get a operator-free usb device or phone (Also make sure when signing contract that the shop doesn’t include any IMEI or phone model).

For ocasional internet access also a lot of 3G phone models with their datacable and software act as 3G Modem, this is usefull as you have to carry only one device, one sim,one contract.

Regards

Posted: 14 June 2009 12:55 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2009-06-10

I posted this in another section but it looks more approriate here.
I see here comments against vodophone but does anyone else have expierence with them, or what is really an alternative.

I want set payment not to get caught out on overusage, as I have Skype phone which will be connected to laptop so people can call in though Skype in. Hence conneced 24/7 to broadband required.

I am looking on Vodophone but can not see were they offer an unlimted 3g mobile broadband package with fixed monthly rental.
I am hoping to move to Albir or Altea on long term rental, My wife is going next week from 22/06/09 to survey rentals many suitable rentals but no broadband.
If I know that it is possible to get this type of system then rental hunting will be far easier.

Posted: 15 June 2009 03:23 AM   [ # 12 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-18

You will need to check mobile coverage, check for Movistar as they are expanding 3G coverage faster. Also look at how long you’re going to stay, perhaps options like DSL or Iberbanda could be better.

Regards

Pieter

Posted: 29 June 2009 05:19 AM   [ # 13 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-06-29

I am visiting Rhonda for a week in August and staying in a home without broadband. Internet cafe usage is not an option for me. I have a USB stick from Verizon that I use in the United States. My questions are as follows:
!) Are there any providers for Spain that let you just pay as you go or, at the very least, sign on for just one month? Who woul dyour suggest?
2) Do I need to buy a new USB stick for the new provider or will the Verizon one work with a new provider?
3) Can I buy the package, and stick if I need one, at the airport, or store in Rhonda?
4) Any idea of cost I should expect?

Thank you for your help
Perry