bringing left hand drive cars to spain
Posted: 06 May 2008 12:00 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-04-11

Hey all

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated on this.

We are moving to Spain in August for 9/10 months to teach English in Galicia.

We thought we could purchase a left hand drive vehicle here in the UK and transport what stuff we need to our new home and use it while we are there.

However a friend of mine said this is not a good way to do it as there are legal problems with purchasing a car in the UK and using it for that length of time in spain.

We could buy a car there or in france to use for our time there but that defeats the object of driving our belongings over from the North East of England.

We could of course stick with a right hand drive but would prefer a left.

Does any one know what the issues are surrounding this issue legally as of course we would like to be on the right path so to speak!!
cheers

Posted: 06 May 2008 09:11 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2008-02-23

Once you get to Spain you will need to re-register the car onto Spanish plates before you have been signed onto the padron for more than 60 days after this you will have to pay import tax (emissions tax). As long the as the LHD is from Europe and you have the registration documents in your name the process is simple. With the car being LHD will save money on changing lights ect.

We can source LHD cars for you, take a look at the website.

Signature 

MOTORING MATTERS
http://www.motoringmattersspain.com
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted: 06 May 2008 09:45 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-04-11

Hello Tourist

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

Could you tell me what the padron is please.
I have been in touch with the DVLA here in the Uk and they say a vehicle does not need to be re registered in Spain till after 6 months.
What is the cost involved with re registering a vehicle?

Thank you for giving me details of your LHD cars for sale website…unfortunately we are only humble English teachers and 3,000 euros is our maximum wedge for a LHD!!!

However if we ever win the lottery..!!!! 

Cheers

Posted: 06 May 2008 11:06 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-05-03

I can only give you advice from some experience, as I was looking to do the same with an english RHD Renault 5.

You’ll need to do the headlights as “Motoring Matters” has mentioned (scrap yard). Then you’ll have to get in contact with an official engineer, who will translate the technical documents over to spanish. (150-200 euros…. maybe around low end of that figure if I remember correctly). ITV (spanish MOT) will inspect the car ($?) (...that’s as far as I’ve gotten.)  Then, I assume, you’ll have to go through paper work with the DGT to get plates, register the car and insure it (I hope your Spanish is up to scratch). If you were to go that route I’d give some leeway driving under insurance so you won’t have to tow the car from A to B. If ITV finds a problem with the car you might (??) run more of a bill (RHD) but if it’s a LHD (bought in England) I wouldn’t see much problem in it passing since LHD’s are European…. anything can happen really

As I’m a penny pincher, I’d look into doing a day trip to England from Santander with the car after spending 6 months in Spain (if it’s cheaper) which will probably give you another 6 months on paper allowing you to technically wing it for the last three months?  (That’s if you are definately here for 9 months.. or 12 for argument’s sake.) If you pull the day trip plan, I’d make sure you are fully insured for Europe with your company in England at all times. (Talk to them of the ins and outs?)

I’d also take into consideration if the Spanish insurance company that you choose recognizes your insurance company in England as to avoid being treated as a new driver and getting hit by maximum insurance rates. (that I can vouch from experience, although under entirely different circumstances)

If you buy in Spain, make sure that the ITV is up to date. The car being purchased must have it, by law, before it is sold.

BB

Posted: 07 May 2008 07:16 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2008-02-23

A padron is a piece of paper saying that you are registered at the local town hall. You will need it to sign on with a doctor, register children at school, ect.

Signature 

MOTORING MATTERS
http://www.motoringmattersspain.com
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted: 01 June 2008 04:37 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2006-08-25

I taught English is Spain for 7 years now back in the UK with my Sapinsh car which I’m driving back next month or it’ll outstay its 6mths in the UK.
There is loads of info I could give you re this question but I’d rather tell you than write it all down.
My email is .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) if you’d like my help,
Tullie

Posted: 15 June 2008 06:56 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2007-04-19
BeaverBill - 06 May 2008 11:06 PM

I can only give you advice from some experience, as I was looking to do the same with an english RHD Renault 5.

As I’m a penny pincher, I’d look into doing a day trip to England from Santander with the car after spending 6 months in Spain (if it’s cheaper) which will probably give you another 6 months on paper allowing you to technically wing it for the last three months?  (That’s if you are definately here for 9 months.. or 12 for argument’s sake.) If you pull the day trip plan, I’d make sure you are fully insured for Europe with your company in England at all times. (Talk to them of the ins and outs?)

BB

It’s a nice thought but then we’d all do that! You can only a UK plated car in Spain for 182 days a year out of 365, not out of 183!!!

Posted: 16 June 2008 12:06 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2007-03-17

hi guys

I have a question for all of you. we have imported our car from the US. we received the customs paper saying that we are exempt of IVA because of change of residence.
we received the car on the 23rd of may. we had to go to the Ayuntamiento and ask for the empadronamiento to register with a doctor and that was done on 05-06-2008
Now a gestor is help us going through all the process. we are working on all the canges ho need to be done to the car. our gestor said that we should get a letter from the american embassy “baja de residencia” and when we get that paper we have 60 days to finish the registration , is it correct
I will appreciate any advice

thanks
sylvie

Posted: 15 July 2008 03:38 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-06-15

Regardless of whether a car is LHD or RHD you have 6 months to re-register it with Spanish national plates. It cannot be driven to the UK and then taxed and MOT’d and driven back to Spain again. It has to stay out the country for a full six month period.  However, any car in an EU member state country has to be fully road legal in the country of registration. That means that, in the case of a UK registered car, it must display a current tax disc and have a current MOT.  A Spanish ITV is not valid on a UK registered car. If the UK MOT has run out on your car then your insurance would also be void.  If you are in any doubt about your insurance cover you should write to your insurance broker and explain that you are resident in Spain and that you drive a UK registered car with no Tax or MOT and which has also exeeded the six month compulsory re-registration time limit and you would like a letter from your underwriters stating that they are quite happy to carry on insuring you. Once you have that letter keep it with you at all times!

After six months you automatically assume fiscal resident status and your car must be re-registered.

http://www.carimportinspain.com