1 2 > 
1 of 2
Were Do Expats Live in Spain?
Posted: 26 October 2006 11:11 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2006-10-24

Are there some areas which are more heavily populated by expats? 

Like to talk with some expats about the quality of life in Spain. 

I am from Arizona and recently moved to England.  Now I now it was a step towards
another country with the kind of culture and lifestyle which is important to me.  It is:

rural, sustainable, friendly, organic, community-oriented.

Ideas - look forward to hearing from you.

Posted: 02 November 2006 01:59 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2006-09-04

I would definantely consider the Costa de la Luz as the things you have spoke about are all here on offer.

Thsi part of Spain is not overun by ex pats, there is obviously a few but its still very much rural spain, very typically spanish and very much a community feel to it.

Private Message me and i will explain in more detail.

Posted: 04 November 2006 02:29 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2006-10-24

Thank you for your response to my questions. 

Do not yet know how to do a private post…will find out and send you another reply.  Interested in your ideas re the above.

Posted: 11 November 2006 09:23 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Oshanaben, try clicking on the button that says “PM” below Costaluz’s name and information on the left there. The button is next to the “profile” button.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 05 March 2007 01:46 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-03-05

I hope these places mentioned here are covered by Skype. I’ve been using Skype Voip to make calls home, since last 1 year. It feels like you are talking to the person next to you. It’s real good, and its cheap. Now calls from Spain-Barcelona costs only ? 0.017.  I wish I can continue using Skype here.

Posted: 24 March 2007 10:04 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2007-02-28

The area around Marbella and Malaga is heavily populated with Brits

Posted: 18 May 2007 08:03 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  85
Joined  2007-05-18

Almeria is not over developed. Do some research on the internet.

Kizzy

Signature 

Chris
http://www.freeadsspain.com

Posted: 19 May 2007 02:23 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  74
Joined  2007-01-25

The North-East area of Granada Province is growing in popularity amongst British, German and Swedish ex-pats - especially the areas surrounding the Natural Parks of Sierra de Cazorla, Sierra de Segura, and Sierra de Baza.

The town of Galera is well known for it’s large community of British Cave-Home owners, and is growing a reputation as a holiday destination for people wanting to rent a Cave, since the town has been featured on various TV programmes recently.

Also, the nearby towns and villages of Orce, El Margen, Huescar, Cullar, Freila and Baza are reporting an increase of ex-pat home buyers - including some who are re-locating from the Golf-Ghettos on the coast!

The lower cost of ownership probably has something to do with it - you can still get a nice three-bed property in a quiet village setting for under ?50,000

Lots of info, links and blogs at http://www.bisobodega.com

Signature 

http://www.cavehomes.com
Amazing Andalucian Properties

Posted: 09 June 2007 06:39 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2007-06-09

There are thousands of British Ex Pats in Torrevieja…south of Alicante. we have been here since 1996 and I am sad to say that we still don’t know any Spanish people!! We did take classes in Spanish at the beginning, but gace up as we never used the language except in shops etc.
We have everything here, near the sea, near the country, near the town of Torrevieja, Guardamar, La Mata, all the shops, all the conveniences….......its really great if you want to be in an area that is growing by the minute!!!
Ours was the first urbanisation to be built outside the town about 25 years ago, so it is well established and quiet, other areas are thriving, bustling and growing rapidly…....great really!!

Signature 

Change Your Life…......http://www.webs.com/makechanges/

Posted: 11 June 2007 04:43 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2007-05-27

Costa Blanca and Valencia are also still very healthy - there are foreigners but not too many at all, you get full immersion into Spanish culture, and the types of expats here are more the integrating types. Beautiful region as well.

Signature 

Valencia City Guide
Complete Tourist Guide to Valencia

Posted: 26 July 2007 01:28 AM   [ # 10 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2007-04-22

If you want to know the extent of british influence in an area count the number of british bars, restaurants and shops and see if the local spanish min imarkets now sell english cheeses and sliced bread. These tghings were rare 25 years ago so in those days one integrated and enjoyed spain as it was rather than trying to change it!!

Posted: 26 July 2007 05:56 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2006-09-27

Take a look at Matarrana, this is just across the border of Catalunya and into Aragon.

Stunning scenery, small traditional villages, virtually no ex-pats, so it makes you learn Spanish, no English bars etc.

Property here is still relatively cheap as it is pretty much undiscovered by the rest of the world, but i am sure that will change in the future.

PM me for more details

Jools

Posted: 27 July 2007 01:32 AM   [ # 12 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2007-04-22

Eight years ago we walked 950 kilometres from the sea west of Irun to the Med via the PYRENEES. wE NEVER SAW ANOTHER LONG DISTANCE WALKER IN 51 DAYS!!! We had never carried a tent and rucksack before and really enjopyed the welcome in the many villages with then less than ten opeople…we gather that even there is changing!! But try Galicia especially if you come from Wales or Scotland. The villages had less than 20 and still going down, prices for 40,000 sqr metres and house still less than 100,000 euros but although VERY HOT SUMMERS there are many months or rain and mist!!! Kiwis grow well there!!!!
We decided to stay in Valencia!!!

Posted: 20 August 2007 03:24 AM   [ # 13 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  86
Joined  2007-07-09

hello

Posted: 20 August 2007 12:18 PM   [ # 14 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2007-04-22

To assess the Spanishness of a Spanish village sit in the main square for a few hours during the busiest shopping times or at the british drinking times of 6 to 8——preferable sipping a drink at a bar ....and assess how many non spanish cars drive through.
If non it’s probably very Spanish still. B ut ask the bar and local shops how many foriegn customers they have and whether they stock english sliced bread and cheese to keep their imported toasted sandwich machines active.. Probably preferable to the many chinese foodstuffs now being imported.

Posted: 20 August 2007 01:39 PM   [ # 15 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  74
Joined  2007-01-25

On that basis, where I live is still very Spanish.  I have only ever met 4 other Brits, 2 Germans and a Kiwi in the village, and none of the shops stock anything other than traditional Spanish goods.  Fresh-baked bread is delivered by van twice a day, but you have to slice it yourself!

Cuevas del Campo is popular with tourists, but mostly Spanish visitors who come for the Market, the Fiestas, the Lake and to visit relatives.  Most of the bars don’t come to life until 10pm and are very family oriented.  The people are very warm and friendly, the kids are well-behaved and respectful.  Long may it stay that way!

Signature 

http://www.cavehomes.com
Amazing Andalucian Properties

1 2 > 
1 of 2
‹‹ Piano      Theres a rat in my kitchen... ››