1 2 > 
1 of 2
Spanish swearing
Posted: 28 May 2008 02:55 PM  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  303
Joined  2006-03-16

I’m curious as to how Spaniards swear, given that they use obscenities all the time anyway.  You hear words like co?o and joder even in fairly polite and formal contexts, and on family-oriented TV. So when I heard some words bleeped out in a Spanish programme recently I wondered just what they might be. What do Spaniards say when they really want to let rip, and what would a Spanish-speaker come out with if they were suffering from Tourette?s syndrome?  Any thoughts?  I’m sorry if this is a bit flippant, but I think it’s interesting…..

Signature 

Martin, Scotland and the Alpujarra.  http://www.casasierra.blogspot.com

Posted: 28 May 2008 04:19 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Um, good question, but I’d imagine the words bleeped had something to do with putas in the leche. 😊

As for the tourettes, I can’t even begin to *cago en la puta madre* guess but I had a *mierda* good chuckle when I read the question! *co?o*

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 29 May 2008 01:27 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

go out with a spanish woman and god you fined out every work under the spanish sun
co?o

Posted: 02 June 2008 02:56 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2008-03-08

We got a great little book called Pardon My Spanish….. a guide to Spanish slang, and its very good…...http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pardon-My-Spanish-Harrap/dp/0245607218

Signature 

http://www.spanishtownhouseforsale.piczo.com

Posted: 06 June 2008 03:03 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  115
Joined  2008-04-10

Generally, the worst insults/curse words are “me cago en tus muertos/dios/el copon”.  My husband, a Venezuelan, found out the hard way that certain acceptable phrases in Venezuela like “co?o de tu madre” or “marico” sound awful in Spain.  And he felt insulted when his friends would chummily call him “cabr?n”.

If you’ve ever been in the middle of a

But if you think about it, its like that in English too.

Signature 

A word is dead when it is said, some say.  I say it just begins to live that day.
-Emily Dickinson

Posted: 06 June 2008 06:25 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

Fanny, twat… um. I know there are others too.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 06 June 2008 06:40 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2008-06-02

It is all in the intonation.
I reckoned I had got it about right when after 4 years of an excellent relationship with my first landlord, I told him I was moving out and after a few exchanges he gave me a great hug and called me a co?o in the nicest possible way.

In Spanish you also turn a statement into a question simply with intonation in speech or the question marks in writing.

Posted: 06 June 2008 06:45 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

[quote author=“El Capitan” date=“1212777625”
I reckoned I had got it about right when after 4 years of an excellent relationship with my first landlord, I told him I was moving out and after a few exchanges he gave me a great hug and called me a co?o in the nicest possible way.

Um, are you sure it was an excellent relationship if he called you a co?o? 😉 haha

Signature 

Posted: 06 June 2008 06:47 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2008-06-02

As it was “in the nicest possible way”, albeit I was a bit taken aback but it was all in the delivery.
I was lucky, tenant paid the rent, landlord fixed any problem which came up.

Posted: 17 June 2008 02:50 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-06-17

Thats it Capit?n, it all depends on the intonation. The stronger might be ‘Me cago en tu puta madre’. But you can use it with your friend as well. I. E. when you want to congratulate your friend about any issue, you can say: ‘Qu? cabr?n!’ (intonate like: It is really handsome!) or for your worst enemy you can say: Cabr?n!... and prepare for fighting.

Posted: 17 June 2008 09:26 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

I met some Canarios last night at a restaurant and at the bar, later, one of them was able to list over 15 different ways of saying pene and co?o each (to the embarassment of the rest of us). Mejillones anyone?

Unreal.

Signature 

Posted: 18 June 2008 05:59 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  115
Joined  2008-04-10

Anyone ever made the mistake of asking for a “pene” instead of a peine to comb your hair with?
Once I was in a discussion about breast feeding vs. formula and bottles, and I asked a guy, “Tu madre te mam??”

Signature 

A word is dead when it is said, some say.  I say it just begins to live that day.
-Emily Dickinson

Posted: 18 June 2008 08:13 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

thank bit god my mother live in Ireland lol and no mother law yet , ” i know off ” Tu madre te 😊

Posted: 19 June 2008 04:45 PM   [ # 13 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  303
Joined  2006-03-16

I’ve heard people who say co?o without batting an eyelid apologise and look sheepish if they let “hostia” slip out by accident.  Seems taking “communion wafer” in vain is unacceptable.  I think the French have a similar attitude - they say “con” all the time and are careful about anything which refers to the church.  Is that true of Ireland too, Jurdy?

Signature 

Martin, Scotland and the Alpujarra.  http://www.casasierra.blogspot.com

Posted: 23 June 2008 09:40 PM   [ # 14 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2008-06-23

The worst insults and swears usually involve saints, Jesus, Virgin Mary and the Church etc etc.

Signature 

“I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.”

Posted: 18 August 2011 05:13 PM   [ # 15 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2011-08-18

I usually find that the worst ones involve dissing someone’s mother…

One of my favourite profanities is :ir a mear encima de una cuerda!

Look it up on google translate! 😉

1 2 > 
1 of 2