Diabetic
Posted: 17 November 2006 11:24 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2006-11-17

Hi

Hope somebody could help, i just wanted advice on being a diabetic in Spain for my son.  Is there diabetic clinics to get medicine etc , we live in Los Alcazares Murcia and would appreciate any help or advice.

Thanks
Feee

Posted: 21 November 2006 08:51 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2006-07-11

Hi Feee,
My son is diabetic as well. We live in Barcelona, so I can’t speak for Murcia, but I’m really happy with his care at the hospital here. Another issue is getting materials and medication, which is really a pain, at least in our “ambulatorio”. Adult diabetics have a counter at the clinic where they can go and pick up blood test strips, keytone strips, etc. every month or two, but for pediatric diabetics you need to call ahead and make an appointment with the nurse. What usually happens in our case is that after waiting a while for our turn the nurse will either (hopefully) go get the materials we need and have the doctor fill out our insulin prescriptions, or (unfortunately, more common) tell us to go to the other window for adults and get the material there - which we then do only to be sent back to pediatrics, who then telephone the people in the other department to complain, etc. , etc. I think it really depends on whoever is working that day…Anyhow, sorry for my little rant. The great news is that test strips, keytone strips and glucose monitors, as well as insulin pumps and the pump supplies if you are using one of those, are completely free and covered by social security. Prescriptions for insulin are almost free (around 2-3 euros per vial), lancets for blood testing are not free, but very cheap, and I can’t remember exactly since my son has been using a pump for the past year, but I think syringes are free as well.
In short, as far as his level of care we’re thrilled. The details of the materials, etc., are a pain, but even so I’m greatful to be here instead of in the U.S. where I’m sure we’d be bickering with insurance companies over the cost and coverage of every little thing…
Good luck with everything, and feel free to get in touch with me again at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) if I can answer any more questions for you!
Melissa

Signature 

Melissa
http://www.babyrockenglish.com
Music and movement workshops for children ages 0-4 and parents in Barcelona