Theres a rat in my kitchen…
Posted: 28 November 2006 05:06 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2006-11-24

...what am I gonna do? Actually its in my (for want of a better word) living room. I left our back door open by accident the other night and we were woken by scratching snuffling noises. My wife went investigated and she saw something run across the floor. We looked under our armchair the next day and theres a rat sized rodent chap hiding under there. Any ideas on the best way to get him out? Not too keen on grabbing a broom and chasing it around the room screaming. :)

Posted: 29 November 2006 03:57 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Haha! Well a friend of mine did the ol’ mousetrap loaded with cheese. Sure enough she had 5 dead rats and 1 to go inside of a week. The nasty part is the disposal of the remains of course. Ugh.

There’s also rat poison, but then they die somewhere tricky and other rats eat the corpse.

Yeah, not a fun predicament. Good luck and let me know what happens.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 30 November 2006 04:49 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2006-11-24

An update…

I went hunting yesterday and found that ratty has scratced and nibbled his own little hole and is currenly living somewhere in the walls! I’ve got a couple of those humane animal traps where the creature walks in and steps on a pressure plate loaded with food & the pressure plate makes the door drop shut. I’ve placed the traps next to the hole and around areas I think he might like to hang out. Now we play the waiting game…..

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot to add. Do rats like cheese? If so, will they like Iberico? If not what do they like? Ta

Posted: 01 December 2006 09:00 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Yeah, rats like cheese my friend. No idea about the queso iberico particularly, but probably anything with a non-rotten smelling odour (yet a strong one) will work best.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 13 January 2007 04:23 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2007-01-11

Dont know about rats but I do know mice always fall for chocolate in traps, give it a try. It has worked for me before.