Ambito Rural…a bit of a bum deal.
Posted: 07 January 2007 10:07 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2006-11-29

Hi all. This is my first time here. A Happy New Year to you all. I`ve just had ADSL installed by Telefonica. They were`nt my first choice however.  After a lot of research and perusing local papers I discovered that the company that my land-line calls are routed through ( Cittrus Comms ) could provide me with ADSL. I know that there are different speed and price packages depending on where you live, dictated by Telefonica of course. 

In my case living in Torrevieja ( only a half hour walk from the town centre ) the price would be 36 euros a month for 1 meg inc. free calls to local and national numbers. No great I know. But I `d contacted several other providers such as Direct Telecom and Ya Com and as soon as I gave my telephone number I was told that they could provide ADSL.

But alas, after assuring me that they could Cittrus Comms said they couldn`t get access at network level ( and just before Christmas too ) But they promised to keep trying, technology moving as fast as it is.

So back to the the Telefonica shop in Torrevieja equipped with the latest offers and packages printed from Telefonica.es. The first thing she did was to input my number. She said that unfortunately as from August 2006 the area that I live in ( La Veleta ) comes within the zone called Ambito Rural and as such Telefonica can only offer 512 kbs at 39 euros a month and NO free calls !! She said if you want ADSL thats the best you`re going to get. Take it or leave it. Needles to say…and after asking my wifes permission !! I took it. But I feel as if I`ve had a of a bum deal.

Its not a great connection. I`m connecting at 400-450 kbs most of the time, but compared to dial-up there`s no comparison ( I`m still enjoying the delights of Google Earth.)

So does anybody know anything about this Ambito Rural. I can see Torrevieja from my front door so how can I be too far away from the exchange.

Posted: 08 January 2007 12:50 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Not sure what it is exactly, but a lot of expats seem to run into very similar issues with living too far away from the nodes to get proper ADSL service. Sometimes I wonder if Telefonica hasn’t told their service reps to ensure that any foreigners who call in receive the worst possible service levels in some nationalistic bid to make life more difficult for us…

But yeah, I haven’t heard of this Ambito Rural myself, but check out our page on rural internet and perhaps post on the forum link provided on that page…

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.