Opening and Entertainments Licence ** Advice Needed **
Posted: 13 January 2009 04:33 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2009-01-13

Hi,

I’m new to this site, so hello everyone!

I am currently in the process of opening a bar/bistro in the Cartagena (Murcia) Region and I am finding it increasingly difficult to find any concrete advice regarding the procedures and regulations in place when obtaining these licences, even from our solicitor!!

Opening Licence

The bar currently has an opening licence (town hall) with the existing owners. I was advised originally that this would simply be transferred into my name on completion of contracts. However I have now been advised that an inspection will be completed any time after a year of applying for the change of name and the inspector will then advise what changes are required. I will be renovating the existing bar, although the layout will remain the same. Can I not receive this advice before carrying out the renovations so any changes can be implemented during decoration? If the inspector knows what the latest requirements are why do I need to wait?! Is this information not freely available?

Entertainments Licence

Our solicitor and assessor have advised that the entertainments licence for live music is automatically granted and as long as I maintain the decibel levels and finishing times. This seems a little vague to me as I have read so much contradictory information online. Could anyone clarify this for me please? I would also like to have regular music (Cd’s etc) playing and television. Are there separate requirements for this?

I simply wish to ensure that I am completely legal from day one and just having someone say ‘it’s ok, just do it’ is too risky when you’re investing a great deal of money in a project - these people are never around to pick up the pieces when they go wrong!

Your advice and observations are very welcome and if you can advise where I can receive a definitive answer from the authorities even better!! There might even be a drink it it for you…....

Salud!
Lee