1 2 > 
1 of 2
Marijuana
Posted: 18 January 2007 08:28 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2007-01-18

How is possession of marijuana or hash looked at by Spanish authorites?  If I have a small amount of either substance is it okay for me to smoke on the beach, or anywhere public for that matter?

Posted: 18 January 2007 06:41 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-01-16

As far as i am aware it is legal for a Spanish person to have an amount of hashish for personal consumption, this includes growing up to 3 plants. It is not legal for a non-Spaniard. This is what I have been told on more than one occasion by both Spaniards and expats who have been here some time.

Posted: 18 January 2007 11:43 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  106
Joined  2006-02-09

I’m surprised this question hasn’t been asked before… About time! :D

acase may be right, but I can’t verify that. I’ve heard similar notions about legally carrying a small amount for personal consumption. In practice you’ll definitely see people on the streets carrying out their legal “personal consumption”. It’s not that difficult to come by either, and without the concerns for being framed by dealers and cops for bribe money like in, say, Thailand.

Viva Espa?a! 😉

~The Editor

Signature 

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Facebook for updates, advice, news, and highlights.

Posted: 19 January 2007 02:43 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2006-09-15

Marijuana is decriminalized in Spain, and its marijuana policy is rather unique in that it encourages marijuana smokers to grow their own product. That is to say that it is meant for PERSONAL use, and that alone.
The sad flip side to this is that it has the highest HIV figures in Europe.

Posted: 19 January 2007 03:06 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-01-18

Okay,
rok on…. it sounds like i wont be messed with if i grow and/or own my own SMALL personal stash, but it is imperative to WEAR CONDOMS!

Posted: 19 January 2007 03:09 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2006-09-15
TJourneyman - 19 January 2007 03:06 AM

Okay,
rok on…. it sounds like i wont be messed with if i grow and/or own my own SMALL personal stash, but it is imperative to WEAR CONDOMS!

Dot be mistaken into thinking that just because the locals are allowed to grow some then it will be fine for you too as well. The Guardia may look very poorly on someone coming into Spain with the express reason to grow a bit of a stash.

Posted: 22 February 2007 02:02 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2007-02-13

so is it really true about the HIV rate????

Posted: 22 February 2007 06:21 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2006-09-15
jyeppers19 - 22 February 2007 02:02 PM

so is it really true about the HIV rate????

It is im affraid, not surprising in such a Catholic country really.

Posted: 22 February 2007 08:55 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-02-22

Yeah, i’m from torrevieja and I have heard the same about the laws here. My friends and I often go to the beach and have a smoke. Speaking of which, does anyone know of someone who sells it?

Posted: 22 February 2007 09:34 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

If anyone does know someone who sells it, please don’t post it on here… That’s what the PM (private message) feature of the site is for. Thanks 😉

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 22 February 2007 10:07 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2006-09-15
silentbob - 22 February 2007 08:55 PM

Yeah, i’m from torrevieja and I have heard the same about the laws here. My friends and I often go to the beach and have a smoke. Speaking of which, does anyone know of someone who sells it?

you have got to be joking mate!!!

Posted: 27 November 2007 06:34 AM   [ # 11 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-11-27

Well my mate just got back home from spain (he was on the islands)
..he could tell me about a very healthy diversity in what you can smoke over there.
So next time I visit spain, I look forward to having some spliffs on the beach, and getting that amsterdam feel spread all over my hotel bed :coolcheese:

Posted: 27 November 2007 03:42 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  303
Joined  2006-03-16

Does anyone know what the decriminalised allowance actually is?  I read in a Spanish paper recently about a guy who fled from the police while carrying 60g.  He was later fined for reckless driving and avoiding arrest, but not for possession, as 60g is apparently not enough to get you into trouble - although at over two ounces it seems a lot to me, at least it would be at UK prices.  On the other hand, lots of Spanish farmers on the coast of Granada province have been busted recently for growing in invernaderos - those plastic greenhouses - presumably on an industrial scale.  Are there any fixed limits or is it up to the courts to decide on the circumstances?

Signature 

Martin, Scotland and the Alpujarra.  http://www.casasierra.blogspot.com

Posted: 28 November 2007 02:42 AM   [ # 13 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  235
Joined  2007-04-25

I’m not sure of the legalities, but am well aware that growth and consumption is’nt restricted to any particular agegroup.

Whilst working on a property reform in a small village in Granada, I’ve seen the “growth” of many plants in the neighbouring back yards. Not a one of the neighbours is under 70. Obviously it helps those “aches and pains”.  😉

I must admist that I was quite surprised when I first came here looking at houses. I would walk into a garden or yard and think “Is that plant what I think it is?”

One house I visited, had a dining room table, featuring a huge pile of the refined product. I could’nt believe my eyes!! If that was for the owners “personal consumption”, then I wish I’d made a stupid offer for the house while the owner was away in the clouds of smoke with the faeries hehe!

Signature 

Visit our website - http://www.granadapropertyreform.com

“Dedicated to making your Spanish house a home”

Posted: 06 December 2007 04:16 AM   [ # 14 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2007-12-06

I remember I was on Ibiza several years back working, we where between San Antonio and Ibiza pueblo up in some campo and the Marijuana plants where growing seemingly wild at the back of some old buildings. It was fairly openly used here on the mainland but not quite as openly as that.

JFYI, there are opium fields out the back of Malaga that are harvested for pharmaceutical industry, remember reading that the Guardia put a lot of officers on foot patrol at night and catch quite a lot of people every year, those who try and bleed the poppies into film containers painted ’ marked ’ so the dealers know which sap was theirs 😊

Posted: 25 December 2007 10:56 AM   [ # 15 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2007-12-17

What about any hallucinogenic plants native to Spain? Mushrooms? Cacti? 😊

1 2 > 
1 of 2