Getting married in Granada
Posted: 25 March 2009 08:57 PM  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  46
Joined  2009-02-12

Hi all,

I am a British girl, living and resident in Menorca, and getting married to my Spanish boyfriend in Granada in December. 

I?ve posted on here a couple of times already but am still a bit confused about paperwork!!  I understand I need a birth certificate, a baptism certificate (it?s a catholic church wedding) and a Certificate of No Impediment.  Am I able to get this from my local British Consulate here in Menorca?  And once requested how long does it take before I get it?  I then believe I need to send all this paperwork off to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London to be legalised with the Hague Apostille and then finally have it translated.  Is this right?  Are there any EU citizens that have been through all this that can let me know if I?m on the right track and how long it took for everything to be sorted for them.  It?s all so daunting!!

Thanks!

Posted: 15 August 2013 12:15 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2013-06-28

Hi. I’m also British and going through the same problem but in Madrid. I believe the British consulate there should translate the documents but at a price. (They told me to check their website which is this used to be the Directgov website. Contact info for all the British consulates there here’s my situation:  I’m engaged to a Spanish citizen and we want to get married. I’ve read and re-read the advice on the consulate’s website and we went there but all they said was “make an appointment on the website” . Simple enough I thought but you have to fill in a request form for an appointment . They say you have to send the documents before the declaration . We have everything but the certificate of no impediment. I read that you have to scan documents into an email with the request form and send it to the consulate . Which is right? We are utterly confused. We have also been to the civil registry. My fianc?e doesn’t read or speak English .
How did you get the documents together ? I know you’re in another part of Spain but I’d appreciate advice as I assume you’re married now.
Please reply quickly. We aren’t sure if we’re going enter into a civil partnership or not , I know they’re not valid in UK but they are here for heterosexuals. I’m trying to renew my healthcard too and a quicker way supposedly is civil partnership or marriage. We’ve been engaged a long time and really would love to marry .