Tax for Offshore workers
Posted: 07 April 2009 11:59 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-04-07

Hi,

I work offshore, travelling from Aberdeen airport to my rig located in the north sea.

I would like to move to spain in the near future.

Can anyone tell me what i need to do in regards to income tax. When i move to spain i will be working equal time on amd off the rig. Only working offshore 6 months of the year but with travelling time i will be out the contry for more than the stated 183 days each year.

So say i live in spain for 175 days a year do i need to pay tax? if so how much (%)

Cheers

Andy

email me at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted: 07 April 2009 01:53 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

I think it depends where your question is coming from - if it is really can I avoid both UK and Spanish taxes the legal answer is no - you have to declare where ‘your centre of economic interest is’ ie where your main residence is.

If you are confused because of the split of days - if you are not going to be really living in Spain and you are earning money not coming into a Spanish bank account then stay a UK tax resident.

If you think being based in Spain for tax is beneficial for you then convince the UK you have left and declare in Spain.

Or take legal tax advice from a professional.

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/

Posted: 24 August 2009 05:39 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2009-08-24

Hi Andy,

I am in the same position as yourself. I am looking to move out to spain next year sometime. I work offshore on dive support vessels outside the uk. I know that the new tax rule in the uk which is now in force the majority of all offshore workers are going to be taxed. As I have a few freinds who currently live in spain for a few years now as far as i believe you dont pay spanish income tax on your salary as long as you are out the country for more than 183 days per year. However to qualify for this you will have to be a spanish resident and declare yourself out the uk. i think that you may need to pay national insurance. if you have recieved any other information on this matter it would be apriciated if you could let me no.

all the best marc

email .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

‹‹ Vendor Non-Resident Tax      La Crisis ››