Ambito Rural…a bit of a bum deal.
Posted: 30 January 2007 06:58 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2006-07-18

Hola - I`ve just discovered that I can apply for ADSL Ambito Rural. What do you think of the service? Would you recommend it? Can you tell me if there is a limit on the amount of downloading that you do per month?

Thanks for any help, advice and comments you can give. I think the price is quite high so I am considering carefully whether to apply or not!

Armanel

Posted: 30 January 2007 07:29 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2006-11-29

Hi Armanel. I`ve been on ADSL Ambito Rural for about a month. That`s the only way I can get broadband and I suspect its the only way for you also. All I can say is that its much faster than dial-up and does not tie up your land-line. But as I said in my earlier post its a bum deal from Telefonica. I live on a very small urbanization in La Veleta, Torrevieja. My friends who live nearby in the next street can get ADSL 4 mbs for 39.90 euros a month and all local and national calls free. But Telefonica have told me that all I can get in my street is ADSL Ambito Rural because there is not enough people who want ADSL where I live !! So all get is 512 kps for 39 euros a month and no free calls. The woman in the Telefonica shop said thats all you can get, take it or leave it ! So I took it. It all depends how bad you want ADSL. There are no limits on downloads as far as I can see. But overall I`m very happy with the service. I`ve been told that things may improve in the future.

John

Posted: 30 January 2007 11:09 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

You guys may want to check into OnSpeed. I keep hearing all these claims about ridiculous jumps in speed, even on ADSL… I think there’s a free trial or something too. If it works for you then please let me know.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 31 January 2007 02:54 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2006-07-18

Thank you, Jaycee60.  Your reply was helpful, being positive about the quality of the service, if not the price!  I shall probably apply for ADSL.  I have Onspeed at the moment - it`ll be interesting to see if that improves the ADSL significantly.

Armanel

Posted: 31 January 2007 10:23 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

You do? So how is OnSpeed? Does it work as well as they claim? What do you have to do to set it up?

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 31 January 2007 11:06 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2006-07-18

Yes, I`ve had Onspeed for about 10 days now and I think it does speed things up somewhat but I have such an awful telephone connection that I couldn`t actually measure any difference!

It was very easy to download and if I can do it, anyone can!

Armanel

Posted: 02 February 2007 01:14 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2006-11-29

I`ve been using Onspeed for a couple of years now. When I was on dial-up I noticed some improvement when loading web pages. But now-where near as fast as they claim to be.  It will not make your connection any faster. and you will not download files any faster. It compresses image files and then un-compresses them. Unfortunately the quality of the images suffer a bit.  There were also times when it did nothing so I had to exit it and surf without it.  Since being on ADSL I`ve noticed no difference what-so-ever. In fact I`ve now un-installed it despite the fact that I`ve paid for the rest of the year !! Remember, it will not make your connection any faster, just load web pages a bit quicker. Although I say quicker, you still have to wait while Onspeed compresses the images and then they load all at once.

John

Posted: 05 April 2007 02:00 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2007-03-29

Hello,
I currently use SySpeed - http://www.syspeed.com/ . Instead of just compressing the images, it actually speeds up your Internet connection by fine tuning certain things. It takes a while for it all to be set up but it increases download and upload speed. I currently have my dial up connection at 79kbps ( real speed ) which is close to double the normal speed for a dial up. It also works with ADSL and Rural ADSL.

Posted: 27 April 2007 08:48 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-04-27

Hi . .I also have ADSL ambito rural, although I live in the middle of a town.  My next door neighbour has ADSL, and I had it myself until I tried to change from Ya.com to Telefonica.  I think that they are definitely using this as a way of forcing you to take out a telefonica contract, but having said that, there is nothing we can do and it is the only option available to some poor people like us!  It does have the advantage of ADSL lines, e.g. you can use the phone at the same time, and it’s faster than dial up, but it is very slow compared to an ordinary ADSL line.  Mine was incredibly slow, and I telephoned and they gave me a new number to connect to and it was better after that, so bear that in mind if you have problems. It’s expensive, offers no perks, and is typical of Telefonica . .take you for all they can get and kgive as little as possible in return.  that’s life!

Posted: 05 May 2007 06:07 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2007-03-29

Hello,
With Rural ADSL you can get a deal for national telephone calls but you have to ask for it because it is not a package deal. Rural ADSL is 39 Euro and you can get all national calls per month for 16Euro. So the total cost per month for Rural ADSL+calls is: 39Euro(Rural ADSL), 16 Euro ( national telephone calls-not mobile numbers), 10 Euro( line rental) and tax.

Posted: 16 May 2007 11:43 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2007-03-29

Well I’ve had to cancel my rural ADSL for the second( and last) time. It started of sooo sweet- only a down time of one or two hours a day but then the engineer came to fix everything and it hasn’t worked since. Back to dial up and I will give the Sky DSL a try. I really want a decent upload speed and to be able to use the internet whilst making a phone call ( you only get a fast download speed with Sky DSL ) but short of moving house ( a possibility ) I should realise and accept that I live in Spain.
Can anyone shed any light on my cause?Help, Telefonica have driven me crazy!

Posted: 27 June 2007 05:46 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-06-27

A quick look at the telefonica website shows me that Ambito Rural is available everywhere except Catalonia. That is probably because The GenCat put it out to competitive tender, whereas the rest of the regions just contracted (and funded) the Telefonica deal. I think Catalonia came off worse because they just got screwed over in the same way as cable TV in rural england. Only available to people who have 4000 close neighbours. As I understand it, one company was kicked out - unfortunately not the company that covers my area (IberBanda). If I could see the radio mast I’d be okay. Instead I see mountains - the few in Spain that don’t have masts on top of them.

Strange thing, cutting edge technology. Before digital TV, you could always get a picture - maybe a bad one but a picture. With digital, you either have it or not.

Why do I get five bars on my mobile phone, but I can’t get an IberBanda signal?

Why can’t Telefonica leverage mobile technology better? I have TRAC digital phone line (a mobile screwed to the wall) but I can only get 45kbs dialup. If I use my (Telefonica) mobile I get 112kbs.

Signature 

Woopeedoo it!

Posted: 27 June 2007 07:47 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2006-12-15

Hi aycee60

Have you considered proposing to your friends to share the connection using a wifi connection ? You could split the charge and with an external antenna you can easily extend the range enough to cover a couple of blocks. Using encryption (WPA) and filtering on the Mac addresses (You machines unique ID) should ensure enough security.

Cheers

Christian

Posted: 27 June 2007 08:57 PM   [ # 13 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-06-27

Unfortunately there is no connection to share and my nearest friends are 8km away (and out of sight).

Signature 

Woopeedoo it!