Cost Of living in Spain- Salary feedback
Posted: 27 May 2009 06:44 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-05-27

Hi,

I’m an American with an EU passport and I’m trying to make the decision on a move to Barcelona, Spain.  I have been made an offer of 49,000 Euros Plus a 20% variable.  My current salary residing in Boston, Massachusets is 70K USD + 20% bonus so the offer is relatively on the same level as my current salary.  I’m guessing the cost of living is more expensive than that of Boston, but I’m trying to figure out by how much?? 
I want to make sure this offer will allow me to live comfortably in a place by the beach in Barcelona and free to travel around the country and surrounding islands 3-4 times per year.
If the 49K euro is not sufficient then what would be a salary range that would allow for a beach lifestyle in Barcelona for 2 people??

thank you to whoever has some feedback

Ric

Posted: 27 May 2009 08:01 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-05-27

Basically what is the level of compensation needed to live in Barcelona in a nice upscale apartment by the beach?
Are salary’s of 70,000-80K Euros salary’s common for upscale neighborhoods in Barcelona?

Posted: 27 May 2009 01:38 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2008-06-23

Best advice i can give is to google services etc on the net.

I found a 2 bed second line to beach apt for 596,000.00 Euro`s, didn`t find much under that price.You need to work out how much your bringing to purchase etc etc.The site calculated that on an 80% mortgage at 6.25% over 30 yrs you`d need to pay 2,935.00 Euro`s a month.

That` a wedge to find for the next 30 yrs.

A 1 bedroom 60m sq nowhere near the beach is around 300,000.00 Euro`s.

You wage is high compared to Spain, but not high compared to major cities where people live in prime area`s.

Spain isn`t cheap, it was only a good deal when you factured in exchange rates, labour rates for workers are lower than some EU countries, but there has been a raise in cost of living.

The prime locations have been purchased by second home investers from around Spain and outside, so prices reflect demand.As anywhere in the world, perfect location on the med comes at a price, if not its sold very quickly.

Signature 

“I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.”

‹‹ Posting Tax Return Online      FORM FD9 ››