US Citizen to marry Spanish citizen in the states but living in spain
Posted: 13 July 2009 03:22 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-07-13

I am set to marry my Spanish fiance in the states next year. After the wedding, we plan on residing in Spain where he is working. I asked the Spanish consulate in Texas (where I am from) what paperwork I needed. They told me once we are married in the states all we need to do is bring the marriage license, birth certificates, and passports to the consulate office. There they would issue us a libro de familia. Once we get to Spain we need to take the libro de familia to the police and they would file it for us and issue me a residency card. Has anyone else been through a similar situation. What paperwork was required/ what is the process??

Posted: 14 August 2013 10:35 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2013-06-28

Hi. I’m British and want to marry my Spanish fianc?e. We are feeling overwhelmed by the process . We went to the British embassy in Madrid and were told to look on their website. Things aren’t clearer though. We have to provide birth certificates , empadronamiento , and certificate of no impediment. We are really struggling getting this certificate. I’d love to be of more help but we went to the civil registry and were then told to go to the consulate .  Not sure where we’ll marry in the end

Posted: 06 October 2013 01:02 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2013-10-06

You need to visit the Registro to get a list of documents that you need to marry, birth certificates, any former marriage and divorce documents, and a document from the British embassy of non-impediment to marry. Also empadronamiento for both, and all documents must be less than 3 months old, and if in English, officially translated. After everything is in, it’s just looking for an open date….