1 of 3
i dont think spains a good place to settle
Posted: 29 July 2009 11:41 AM  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  80
Joined  2009-04-23

i don’t think Spain a good place to settle and bring up your kids,

its a place for you to retire or get easy sex, been here over a month now cant see what all the fuss is about living in spain most people who live here live hand to mouth, it lacks real importunity’s if you do get a opportunity you have to work like a dog. and the prospects of you getting rich here are low.

and people tend to bum about here alot that’s what they mean by the relaxed way of life. there is a spanish saying ive heard recently for every 1 person that works, 3 people watch

and also every ones out to con each other here, its a respected way of making a living.

Andalusia = http://www.geo.com/alfgon.geo/andalusia.htm

its a shame its a beautiful place but at the same time its a shit hole.

dont fall for the spanish con

Alex

Posted: 29 July 2009 12:35 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  453
Joined  2008-12-30

alex-armstrong,
which country would you suggest the best place to go to?

Posted: 29 July 2009 01:27 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2008-06-23

I agree.

Andalucia is a place not to be confused with Spain though.

Each region within Spain has its own unique quality and quirkiness.

As in any country really, but many regions within Spain whilst good or bad, tend to be far different from what most Expats experience and write on Spanish forums.

I had an discussion on another site about the violence in Benalmadena, that person was constantly stating its not violent and has never witnessed any.

Even after I posted quotes from the internet from news reports in Spanish (which he couldn`t understand as didn`t speak Spanish), a link to the Costa Del Sol Street Crime programmes etc etc.

His defence is its media hype, so no all the stabbings etc on a Saturday night is due to the media stabbing people, so as to get headlines.

Some expats cannot admit that they made a huge mistake and are to proud to either return to there homeland or integrate with Spanish people.

Had a laugh though, this numpty was critical of all the English walking around in there guiri cloths, I pointed out on his photos on the site he`d posted showing his grand kids using St George towels and wearing English football shirts.

He didn`t appreciate that.

Many Expats moved to Spain under the pretense that Spanish culture was far different than UK culture, in many ways it can be, but in many ways English culture doesn`t mix into Spanish culture unless your mentally able to set aside your National pride and accept the culture you`ve entered is many years behind the culture you left.

And Knife and gun crime is far worse in Spain than the UK has ever been.

Spanish govt does not do accurate surveys of anything bad, the UK is always publishing facts and figures on crime, finance etc etc.

The Spanish govt nope, until recently the Spanish govt was calling the Recession it was in, “a deceleration of the acceleration”.

The Spanish economy always has been behind the rest of Europe, it is well aware that surveys telling people how bad any situation is would be bad for the country.

Many expats spend a few holidays there, assume its a nice place to live, then they move, which has resulted in many moving back.

We returned before the crisis, I got chatting with the guys moving us, about living in Spain, they told me then, that they move just as many back to the UK as they move to Spain.

Signature 

“I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.”

Posted: 29 July 2009 03:37 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-23

the best place to live is the England, at least everyone gets some sort of chance in lfe, in Spain being foreigner is a big handicap, cant wait to get back to the UK and eat some decent food,

i live, work, shit, eat, and party with the Spanish so i am well integrated.

SO, i know the Spanish are hustlers

Alex

Posted: 29 July 2009 04:08 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  196
Joined  2009-06-03
alex-armstrong - 29 July 2009 03:37 PM

the best place to live is the England, at least everyone gets some sort of chance in lfe, in Spain being foreigner is a big handicap, cant wait to get back to the UK and eat some decent food,

i live, work, shit, eat, and party with the Spanish so i am well integrated.

SO, i know the Spanish are hustlers

Alex

Great - Let us know when you’re gone, we’ll hold a party - after the fact.
So the fact that you’re going gives you the prime opportunity to say how much you hate the place..

Qs: How many Brits have gone back to England hating Spain, vS English hating England and heading for Spain ?
Most Brits that are/have left is due to the exchange weakening I’m sure..

P.S: How come you’ve been “shitting with the Spanish” ??

Chocolate sports maybe ?
OMG !

DSB.

Posted: 29 July 2009 04:10 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-23

This is one survey though that the Spanish govt arn`t happy about.

http://www.ecologistasenaccion.org/spip.php?article15121

Spain now has been granted 300 Black Flags for there beaches.

In Andalucia many tourist are unaware that the sand, which has large graines in it, is actually builders rubble from sites around Spain.

The Junta prefers to use that rather than dredging sand from the sea, which is expensive. Also in Summer the sewage works around Malaga cannot cope and untreated waste is pumped in the sea near Torre Del Mar.

That results in the usual greeny brown slim washing up on the beaches around August time, they had planned more cleaning boats, but due to costs the required 35 boats to cover the area have been reduced to 3 now.

Last year the beaches around Malaga had the rubble from the new underground dumped onto the erroded beaches, fine but it wasn`t cleaned or treated.

Signature 

“I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.”

Posted: 29 July 2009 04:28 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-23
bealerDSB - 29 July 2009 04:08 PM

So the fact that you’re going gives you the prime opportunity to say how much you hate the place..

Qs: How many Brits have gone back to England hating Spain, vS English hating England and heading for Spain ?

Chocolate sports maybe ?
OMG !

DSB.

Everybody is intitled to an opinion even bad ones.

Lets not take this to personnel insults.

Signature 

Posted: 29 July 2009 04:31 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-03
Santi - 29 July 2009 04:28 PM
bealerDSB - 29 July 2009 04:08 PM

Chocolate sports maybe ?
OMG !

DSB.

Everybody is intitled to an opinion even bad ones.

Lets not take this to personnel insults.

Understood.
I take the chocolate joke back / I saw the funny side to a statement is all.

But my opinion that there are more Brits in Spain than leaving still stands.

DSB.

Posted: 29 July 2009 06:18 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-23

have a read of this

http://www.surinenglish.com/20090724/news/costasol-malaga/chlorine-leak-affects-people-200907241821.html

ONLY IN SPAIN

PS. DSB how well do they treat the english kids in school in spain

Alex

Posted: 29 July 2009 06:29 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-03
alex-armstrong - 29 July 2009 06:18 PM

have a read of this

http://www.surinenglish.com/20090724/news/costasol-malaga/chlorine-leak-affects-people-200907241821.html

ONLY IN SPAIN

PS. DSB how well do they treat the english kids in school in spain

Alex

Alex,
      Agreed, and the article sucks big time..

Going out on a limb here - But how many cases of “Fred West” and all that murder stuff go on in Spain ?
I’m not sure so I thought I’d throw it out there..

DSB.

Posted: 29 July 2009 07:37 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-23

believe me loads,

they just don’t bother catching them unless the people involved are well off, its usually the police anyway

Alex

Posted: 29 July 2009 08:10 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  303
Joined  2006-03-16
alex-armstrong - 29 July 2009 03:37 PM

cant wait to get back to the UK and eat some decent food

Eh? When did the Brits learn to cook?

Signature 

Martin, Scotland and the Alpujarra.  http://www.casasierra.blogspot.com

Posted: 29 July 2009 09:45 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-23
bealerDSB - 29 July 2009 06:29 PM

Going out on a limb here - But how many cases of “Fred West” and all that murder stuff go on in Spain ?
I’m not sure so I thought I’d throw it out there..

DSB.

Franco managed too kill around 300,000, not personnally though, that was left to the fachas.

Jose Antonio Rodriguez Vega killed 16 women in the Santander in 1986.

Jorge Real Sierra and Jose Antonio Velazquez killed a British couple.

Then there is Mari Luz.

Signature 

Posted: 29 July 2009 09:49 PM   [ # 13 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-23
MartCross - 29 July 2009 08:10 PM

When they left the cave.

Its a stupid arguement, all produce is available all over the world, some people can cook some can`t.

But just one thing.

Callos.

My grand parents where the last ones to eat Tripe, you of course can still buy it in the UK, “but why would you” ?

Signature 

Posted: 29 July 2009 10:30 PM   [ # 14 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  303
Joined  2006-03-16
Santi - 29 July 2009 09:49 PM
MartCross - 29 July 2009 08:10 PM

When they left the cave.

Its a stupid arguement

No it isn’t.  The general food culture in Spain is amongst the best in the world and even poor, badly educated people appreciate fish, ham, cheese, seasonal veg etc.  The British are culinarily illiterate oafs who open packets.  You can eat some of the best food in the world in London restaurants, but it will cost you ?50 a head, plus wine.  Normal British food is mostly appalling.  And what’s wrong with callos?  Not my favourite, but it’s real food rather than junk.

Signature 

Martin, Scotland and the Alpujarra.  http://www.casasierra.blogspot.com

Posted: 29 July 2009 11:10 PM   [ # 15 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  453
Joined  2008-12-30

in london, about 3 years ago i paid like 45 pounds for kebap for 4 people and they wouldn’t even accept a card, how much is the minimum wage in the uk?. in dublin i got harrassed on a bus by a group of teenagers, i’m not white. but anyway, many times one’s success or lack of it is thought to depend on the host country and not on the expat, mmm.
since there are 27 members in the eu, any eu citizen can try migrating to see which one is the best for them.
and of course there are the two empires, the usa and rusia.
canada, australia and south africa should be interesting for english speakers.
in any case if your country is not the third world, why move out?

1 2 3 > 
1 of 3