1 2 3 > 
1 of 3
Dual Nationality Who has it and What Countries!
Posted: 03 August 2009 04:22 PM  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  550
Joined  2008-09-12

Hi All

Out of interest I am doing this post to see who has Dual Nationality.

I Have British Passport (Born In UK) and Have Spanish Dual Nationality (Mum Spanish)

Does anyone have the same if not what dual nationality do you have!

As There is conflict of interest with the British and Spanish (Apparently Its ILLEGAL…) For the last 32 years I changed my Passports with no problems…

Mac

Posted: 03 August 2009 05:40 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-08-03

As far as I know you are ok to have dual nationality, the spanish will permit dual nationality if you were born in the uk and have a Spanish mother - my children can have dual nationality; i am spanish and they were both born in the uk - however if I wanted to have a british pasport, I could but i would loose my spanish one! crazy eh?

Posted: 04 August 2009 01:36 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  453
Joined  2008-12-30

i got two passports, spanish and filipino.
spain recognizes dual citizenship for citizens of former spanish colonies.
what does that mean?
well, when i acquired spanish citizenship, i was not required to renounce my filipino citizenship and as far as spain is concerned, wherever i am,  i am a spanish citizen.

until aug 2003 the philippines did not recognize dual citizenship, when i went to the philippine embassy to renew my filipino passport, i was required the spanish residence permit to prove that i was still filipino. when i showed the dni instead of the residence card, they no longer renewed my filipino passport.  that is how i lost my filipino citizenship.

when i travelled to the philippines i entered using my spanish passport as a tourist.
now if i want to buy property in the philippines i have to prove legally that i am filipino, how? (there are ways and means)

but anyway, now that philippines recognizes dual citizenship, i can renew my filipino passport by just applying for renewal.
i can enter any third country using either passport (whichever is convenient) and that country will recognize me depending on which passport i use to enter.

on a hijacked plane, if i show the hijacker my filipino passport, i might get released before the usa or european passport holders.
that is, if hijacker does not blow up the plane.

Posted: 05 August 2009 06:28 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2008-06-23

I have a Spanish Passport as my OH is Spanish, we`re married and I lived in Spain for more than a year.

I also retain my British Passport as the UK accepts dual nationality.

Although the Spaniards do not accept Dual Nationality, I had to swear allegance to the King and surrender my UK Passport.

Although being all things Spanish, they cannot force me too as I`m from a country who accepts dual nationality.

I`m told though that if I require consulate services away from Spain I cannot use the services of both Spain and the UK.

The UK consulte will refuse me services as I`m officially held under Spanish rules.:(

I`ve not yet been arrested in a country to test the theory out.

Signature 

“I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.”

Posted: 06 August 2009 12:03 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-08-06

I’m a dual national. Australian born with a spanish father, entitling me to spanish citizenship.
As far as I know there havn’t been any conflicting issues. Though at the Madrid airport I was questioned as to why my spanish was so bad, haha.
When I travel I use both passports, in Europe I’ll use the spanish one, and asia area and other english speaking countries I’ll use the Australian (except UK).
If I go to a somewhat unsafe country I plan to use my australian passport only because I think I could communicate better with the australian authorities if anything were to happen. (i’m yet to research policies etc. as to whether or not this is the best decision).

Posted: 06 August 2009 01:53 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

Santi,

“I`ve not yet been arrested in a country to test the theory out. “

to be honest I think you should go for it as part of essential research for the good of this forum.

Suggest you try Switzerland or Sweden where I hear the prisons services are very amenable.

Keep us posted.

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/

Posted: 07 August 2009 01:09 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-23
ROB1305 - 06 August 2009 01:53 PM

Santi,

“I`ve not yet been arrested in a country to test the theory out. “

to be honest I think you should go for it as part of essential research for the good of this forum.

Suggest you try Switzerland or Sweden where I hear the prisons services are very amenable.

Keep us posted.

I shall give it my best shot.

Which crime would be best though ?

The Swiss and Swedes don`t have the best sense of humour, this will need to be important, i though about drug`s.

Do you think that would work in Swizerlandia. 😊

Signature 

“I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.”

Posted: 07 August 2009 01:31 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

If you are thinking of Switzerland - try starting a political party to ban Cuckoo clocks and completely undermine their economy, crime of treason or Sweden - how about campaigning to get Saabs banned due to their ugliness ? (Problem is they are no longer Swedish?) Plan B - No more screenings of Mama Mia!

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/

Posted: 11 August 2009 01:40 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-23

Just copied this from a Lawyers site regarding Dual Nationality.

3. Double nationality
In most cases persons taking out or applying for Spanish nationality will have to renounce their present citizenship. The only exemptions from this rule are the nationals from Latin America and the other countries with special relations with Spain.

A Spanish adult citizen may lose his citizenship if he resides habitually in another country and takes the nationality of the other country. The ones who have become Spanish citizens by application, may lose it again by a court sentence. Under certain circumstances, they may apply to get their citizenship back again.

So, the law is clear: If you apply for Spanish citizenship, not coming from Latin America or any of the other country Spain has had special relations with, not forsaking your present citizenship, Spain has the right to revoke your Spanish nationality when they find out.

Signature 

Posted: 11 August 2009 02:44 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12
Santi - 11 August 2009 01:40 PM

Just copied this from a Lawyers site regarding Dual Nationality.

3. Double nationality
In most cases persons taking out or applying for Spanish nationality will have to renounce their present citizenship. The only exemptions from this rule are the nationals from Latin America and the other countries with special relations with Spain.

A Spanish adult citizen may lose his citizenship if he resides habitually in another country and takes the nationality of the other country. The ones who have become Spanish citizens by application, may lose it again by a court sentence. Under certain circumstances, they may apply to get their citizenship back again.

So, the law is clear: If you apply for Spanish citizenship, not coming from Latin America or any of the other country Spain has had special relations with, not forsaking your present citizenship, Spain has the right to revoke your Spanish nationality when they find out.

Makes us feel proud to be British huh…. Always get screwed one way another when other countries can do it Brits Can’t!

Well anyway I was told I can keep my Dual Nationality for the last 20 years or soo…. F THEM!

Posted: 11 August 2009 03:05 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-23
MAC31 - 11 August 2009 02:44 PM

Makes us feel proud to be British huh…. Always get screwed one way another when other countries can do it Brits Can’t!

Well anyway I was told I can keep my Dual Nationality for the last 20 years or soo…. F THEM!

Don`t blame Britain, they accept Dual Nationality.

Its the Spanish that don`t.

Although the consulate does refuse services to a Dual National if there required in the country your a National of.

So if I get myself arrested in Spain and I call the UK consulate for help, they`ll tell me to go away and call my Spanish countrymen.

Who will probably beat me sensless, especially if I`m in Catalunia.

Signature 

Posted: 11 August 2009 04:36 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12
Santi - 11 August 2009 03:05 PM
MAC31 - 11 August 2009 02:44 PM

Don`t blame Britain, they accept Dual Nationality.

Its the Spanish that don`t.

Although the consulate does refuse services to a Dual National if there required in the country your a National of.

So if I get myself arrested in Spain and I call the UK consulate for help, they`ll tell me to go away and call my Spanish countrymen.

Who will probably beat me sensless, especially if I`m in Catalunia.

Awwww Thats not fair statement about Catalonia….... As The Truth Is :-

First they will be arrogant at you… Talk to you in there French Spanish Language then they will beat seven tones of Shite of you…

Afterwards they will rehabilitate you into the Catalan person ie…. You be closed rude arrogant generally not a nice person?

Posted: 23 September 2009 02:54 AM   [ # 12 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2009-05-27

What happens if you renounce your UK citizenship?  Say you renounce it while living in Spain, but then move back… since you’re a native born Brit would they give you back your citizenship? Just wondering..

Posted: 23 September 2009 03:40 AM   [ # 13 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12

I am not sure…

At a guess no they would not just hand me back my British passport… as I will have to re-apply for British Citizenship (Total Guess)

I am sure Santi will update Post with correct info.

Rgds

Mac

Have you moved to Spain yet Sally?

Posted: 23 September 2009 04:26 AM   [ # 14 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-09-23

Hello all! Just signed up because I was looking for information regarding dual American/Spanish citizenship. I am an American (but a good guy, really!) born of Mexican parents, so Spanish residency and citizenship by way of parentage is out. However I am married to a Peruvian woman who is still in Peru while we work out the immigration paperwork (US govt thinks everyone is a terrorist).

It has been mentioned that Spain has special relationships with certain Latin American countries and will grant expedited residency to their citizens. Does anyone know specifically which countries those might be? I wonder if Peru is among them? Interesting that they consider the Philippines a “special” country due to their past status as a Spanish colony yet there is no language connection. I’m hoping that all Latin American countries would get the same treatment, but I doubt it. If anyone knows, I’d be grateful for the info, thanks.

Signature 

Ernie in San Francisco

“Cogito, Ergo, Rum” (I drink, therefore I am.)

Posted: 23 September 2009 08:40 AM   [ # 15 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2009-03-21

Hi,

I?m a dual national as an American born with a Spanish father which entitled me to recuperate Spanish nationality without having to renounce my American nationality.  Since I just went though the process a few short months ago, it was an interesting experience.  I am looking forward to early retirement (within next two years) in Spain and plan to take my first trip as a Spanish national within the next few months.  I don’t anticipate any problems and I do speak Spanish well.(although not the Castillan Spanish, but rather Latin American Spanish).  😜

1 2 3 > 
1 of 3