Expat ID card future solution ?
Posted: 23 August 2009 02:57 PM  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

I discovered today that the UK is going ahead with Identity cards on a voluntary basis.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governme…ards/DG_174258

So I assume we could obtain a card which would be acceptable as ID in Spain (given it is issued by a government) and also we could travel with it around the EU.

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/

Posted: 23 August 2009 03:49 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2008-06-23

A Spanish version of the ID card is a total waste of time, if anything it helps increase fraud as its handed out to anyone and everyone.

An all singing Biometric card is inevitable and unavoidable, they just need a way to sell it to the public.

As the USA NSA are currently expanding Echelon system in Yorkshire its not long in coming that details we really don`t want will be stored.

Signature 

“I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.”

Posted: 24 August 2009 01:55 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

Santi…

As the USA NSA are currently expanding Echelon system in Yorkshire its not long in coming that details we really don`t want will be stored.

You cynic, you!

Trouble is you are absolutely right…

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Posted: 24 August 2009 01:45 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2008-06-23

The Americans are currently spending $31 Million expanding there Menwith Hill base, which although is designated RAF Menwith Hill is owned,maned and controlled by the US Govt to help UK get around UK privacy laws.

The scandal surrounding the Airbus contract a few years ago,  the communications involving the bidding process by the various companies vying for the contract were intercepted by the NSA at Menwith Hill. The details were passed directly to the US Government, who then made sure their own US companies were furnished with this “insider knowledge”. Thus, the US companies mysteriously landed the contract!

So who thought GCHQ was tasked with UK National Security.

In a court case involving women peace campaigners a few years ago, a blundering British Telecom official accidentally revealed in open court that those nice BT engineers had connected fibre optic cables into Menwith Hill from their own communications site at nearby Hunters Stones. These cables are said to provide the Menwith Hill base with over 100,000 UK telephone lines.

In an amazing revelation, 19th century maps of the area show that the base is built directly above large disused quarry workings. So it seems that many of Menwith Hill’s activities are buried underground in many levels of secret blast-proof bunkers and tunnel networks.

British Telecom seems very keen to keep its chums in MI5 and GCHQ happy. BT’s massive research laboratory at Martlesham Heath, near Ipswich in Suffolk, routinely takes apart all new communications equipment that is produced so that “spooks” know precisely how to hack into them! At BT’s “switching centre” located in the Shropshire town of Oswestry, GCHQ is handed phone tapping opportunities on a plate.

So add Biometric cards, it`ll help with controlling what is heard in this centre directly onto the ground. The cards will aslo be trackable.

When both the New York and London incidents took place, Menwith Hill intercepted there mobile transmissions, but time scale between decoding, analysing and implementing a solution was too long.

Its not what the govt tells you its doin that should be a concern.

I`d be happier supporting it if Terrorism was at a high incident level, but 2 in a decade I don`t believe justifies these levels of control.

Signature 

“I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.”

Posted: 14 August 2013 10:26 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2013-06-28

Hi Rob, I’m British and I knew that the UK government was planning to introduce ID cards. I am still wondering whether they are still planning to or not. I think ID cards are a good idea . A friend who lives in the UK told me they weren’t going ahead with them in the UK. Where can I find out more info?

Posted: 14 August 2013 11:22 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

Hi Kat - The British ID card project was terminated a long time ago as a cost cutting measure by the UK government.

Signature 

Rob

Posted: 15 August 2013 01:33 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2013-08-15
ROB1305 - 14 August 2013 11:22 PM

Hi Kat - The British ID card project was terminated a long time ago as a cost cutting measure by the UK government.

Thank goodness for that. I am Spanish and I know the ID card is meant to help you deal with bureacracy and have all your data centralised. Well, I have NEVER EVER been in a country so disorganised and cahotic as Spain (and I have lived in Thailand and Tanzania before). I love the way UK works: you want to live in UK, you register in the vote census; you need a doctor, you register in the doctor; you need to pay tax, you just give your bank details and pay it. No IDs, empadronamientos, libros de familia, passport pictures, working life history, registration of your wedding certificate and seguridad social number + 3 working days wasted you dealing with it. In UK you move in and pay your tax. Simple. Easy.

Posted: 15 August 2013 12:21 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

Hola Saldana well I am glad you think the UK is easy but you would need an National Insurance number to pay tax and there must be an equivalent of the residencia system to comply with EU.

But on the whole I would think it is easier for Spanish to go to the UK than for the Brits to establish themselves in Spain. However things have got easier over the years with combined NIE/Residencia application and appointments for these things as against queueing all morning.

Signature 

Rob

Posted: 15 August 2013 06:52 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2013-06-28

Hi Rob, thanks for that. Useful to know as I’ve not been back for ages

‹‹ SP Licence?      Living and Studying in Spain ››