Help!!! Telefonica no help
Posted: 07 October 2009 04:21 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2009-02-07

Arrived in spain in August!! Great arranged with telefonica to contact phone and ADSL. Phone line contact great. Router arrvied 18 Sep. Installed router , done many times in england, not working, i have since made 23 calls to them, paid intreputer 3 times total cost 60 euros, spoke to 1004 telefonica all thay say they will put a call through , engineer rang , to expensive to call me, will come out when can, that was three weeks ago . 24 hour emergacy call put through a week a go, spoke monday and all i got was you will have to ring telechanical department explained have and paid a lot for the call as well as a interputer, what more can i do , Comment from them dont know. Can any one help, if not cancaling the service with a 70 euro cancallation fee even though service has not been working.

Help please

Posted: 07 October 2009 05:03 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  65
Joined  2009-10-06

So what is the problem? The router or the ADSL line, does the ADSL light on the router light up? What sort of router is it? Have you tried reseting the router, you could just throw away the telefonica router and pop down to MediaMarkt and pick up a cheap one?

Or, where are you, I guess it would be cheaper to pay a computer tech to come around and sort it.

lets us know?

Signature 

NRG Photography, provides wedding, creative and portrait photography in Andaluc?a, Spain. All photos are for sale and commission work is undertaken. http://www.nrgphoto.eu

Posted: 07 October 2009 05:34 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2009-02-07
happy.smiler - 07 October 2009 05:03 PM

So what is the problem? The router or the ADSL line, does the ADSL light on the router light up? What sort of router is it? Have you tried reseting the router, you could just throw away the telefonica router and pop down to MediaMarkt and pick up a cheap one?

Or, where are you, I guess it would be cheaper to pay a computer tech to come around and sort it.

lets us know?

Thanks for replying the ADSL and PPP light does not come on/ FLASH, the power supply light comes on and the enternet light stays green and WLAN light is off. Have tried reseting , only had the router since 18th Sep tember. The router is the telefonica own one. I think they have not made be live.!!! Hope you can help.

thanks

Posted: 07 October 2009 06:12 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2008-03-05

Where abouts are you.

Posted: 07 October 2009 07:36 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-06

Have you left on, continuously? The MAC address has to be discovered by Telefonica, the instructions say half an hour, but I’d give it a couple of hourss and failing that leave it on.

Signature 

NRG Photography, provides wedding, creative and portrait photography in Andaluc?a, Spain. All photos are for sale and commission work is undertaken. http://www.nrgphoto.eu

Posted: 07 October 2009 07:38 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-06

It is also possible that you have got DSL and not ADSL, that happened to me once!

Signature 

Posted: 08 October 2009 03:49 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  196
Joined  2009-06-03
catbarber - 07 October 2009 04:21 PM

Arrived in spain in August!! Great arranged with telefonica to contact phone and ADSL. Phone line contact great. Router arrvied 18 Sep. Installed router , done many times in england, not working, i have since made 23 calls to them, paid intreputer 3 times total cost 60 euros, spoke to 1004 telefonica all thay say they will put a call through , engineer rang , to expensive to call me, will come out when can, that was three weeks ago . 24 hour emergacy call put through a week a go, spoke monday and all i got was you will have to ring telechanical department explained have and paid a lot for the call as well as a interputer, what more can i do , Comment from them dont know. Can any one help, if not cancaling the service with a 70 euro cancallation fee even though service has not been working.

Help please

I would goto the routers address and perform a reset & have a mooch around it’s settings / different than pressing the little small button on the outside..

Your PC maybe set to TCP and the router maybe DCHP…Or you need to manually set the PC’s IP address instead of auto..?
Look at the routers IP address and use that number but go up one or two numbers on the last set of three..

IE: Router says 10.3.145.110
PC: Could be 10.3.145.115

(If you are going for the above / static IP choice don’t forget the Subnet, Default & both DNS #‘s)

You can also find the numbers from the Router if you hardwire the PC to the rear of the router and go to:
START / RUN, type CMD

Then

ipconfig/all (and hit return)

This will give you all the IP bits & bobs to ‘base your IP’ address for then manually entering into the computer..
DSB.

Posted: 08 October 2009 10:38 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2007-08-12

do as said above “ipconfig” you should get something similar to this

IP address 192.168.1.100
subnet mask “do not worry”
default gateway 192.168.1.1

If your address is 169.xxx.xxx.xxx the router is not giving you an IP address

Make sure you are connected by an Ethernet cable as you may not be able to use the wireless side yet.

If the DSL light is not lit then they have not enabled your line yet.

I assume you have connected the router via a filter unit and have a filter on all other phones that are connected to the same line.

John

Posted: 08 October 2009 11:02 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  196
Joined  2009-06-03
scubakid - 08 October 2009 10:38 PM

do as said above “ipconfig” you should get something similar to this

IP address 192.168.1.100
subnet mask “do not worry”
default gateway 192.168.1.1

If your address is 169.xxx.xxx.xxx the router is not giving you an IP address

Make sure you are connected by an Ethernet cable as you may not be able to use the wireless side yet.

If the DSL light is not lit then they have not enabled your line yet.

I assume you have connected the router via a filter unit and have a filter on all other phones that are connected to the same line.

John

I Concur.
DSB.

Posted: 09 October 2009 01:40 AM   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

scubakid and bealer…and catbarber…

One minor but significant amendment to the comment about connecting the router via a filter….

Over here the router is a direct connection to the wall socket NOT via a filter. The filter is an in-line device installed in the phone line only.

The correct installation here in Spain is…

Wall socket>(extention lead if required)> splitter> splitter 1 o/p direct to router; splitter 2 o/p > in-line filter> phone.

Buried somewhere in this forum is a link to an English version of the Telefonica Router Installation Manual.

When I have finished my tea I will see if I can find it….

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Posted: 09 October 2009 02:24 AM   [ # 10 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

A Link to English version of Telefonica’s Router Installation Manual;

http://www.telefonica.es/on/io/es/atencion/soporte_tecnico_y_averias/internet/adsl/modems/inalambricos/xavi_7968/Guia_en_installation_guide_xavi_7968r.pdf

From a previously reported problem, if you have installed a filter in the router line you will experience connection problems of the type you are seeing…

Also; are you trying to connect by wifi? If so try it with a direct wired connection between the router and the LAN socket on the computer and see what happens…if you are using XP switch off computer, switch off router. then switch router back on and then the computer. The computer should find the router automatically. If successful leave well alone! One thing you will notice, in the event of a power failure, xP computers may have a problem re-establishing comm link with the router. If this happens, reboot the computer and the router. This does not appear to be a problem with Vista machines…and a reboot is unnecessary.

When I bought this Vista driven computer, I hooked up a line between the router which was already driving our XP machine and the LAN socket and got internet straight away…no drivers necessary. So far as I can see the only time you need to use the supplied CD is if you want to use WiFi as the comms method between the computer and the router.

Another point, if you live in an area subject to power failures or brownouts, you would be well advised to invest in a UPS and put everything through it, computer, display and the router. In the event of a power failure you should get about 10-15 minutes of battery backup enabling you to carry out a normal shutdown. Momentary glitches in the power supplies are also handled by the UPS so there is no loss of data between the computer, the router and the outside world…

We all bitch about Telefonica from time to time but seriously they are no better or worse than BT in the UK. Whilst its true that they do have an English speaking help line (and French and German) for phone problems, the ADSL help line is Spanish speaking only. (I presume you were directed to 902 357000.) Having sad that there is at least one guy at that number who does speak good English (though they wont admit it…)

I would suggest that if the situation was reversed and you were a Spanish speaker (or French or German) in the UK you would meet with the same reaction from BT’s operators on the help lines…especially given that their call centres are in India I believe…

I hope some of this verbal diaarhea helps…

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Posted: 15 October 2009 06:06 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2009-01-16

Hi, I had same problem, I had to get a computer guy to look at my router and computer.  He had to uninstall all dell software from laptop then it worked fine.