best ways to connect a laptop to the tv to watch downloaded video’s
Posted: 31 December 2009 04:03 PM  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2009-08-13

Never straightforward is it.. ? We have enough different types of cable to tie up the queen mary .. but again..

We have:  Cat five on the comp not on TV
            Dvi on the TV.not the comp!
            Usb to usb not compatible!!
            Scart on the TV….etc etc..
      Our dvd burning is a pain in the b.u.t.. either they won’t play or we need 3 dvds for a tv series.. 

Our old Butane tv had everything…. but must not dwell on the past..

I’m sure I’m missing the obvious??  but if anyone would like to cheer up the holidays for us..and possibly others….??.

H & Healthy   N Y to all

looking forward to google’s new “online” computer “chrome”  due out soon they say?  we already like their browser…?

Posted: 31 December 2009 06:13 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  104
Joined  2008-07-07

You can buy a USB adaptors that has the component outputs (Red, White , Yellow), which you then hook up to your TVs component inputs (or SCART with apprpriate component to scart adaptor) - (seen them in mediamarkt)

You could buy a external unit with USB playing capabilites - like a TDT receiver - transfer your downloaded things to USB stick and play them from the USB stick to the TV via the TDT receiver

You could buy one of these multimedia external hard disks - that play most AVIs, VOB, ISOs etc. (mediamarkt and Cfour do these)

Help this helps

Signature 

The Sat And PC Guy
Sky TV in Spain. Costa Banca Satellite TV
Free Business Directory

Posted: 31 December 2009 09:46 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2009-08-13

Thanks for that,, all sounds too easy   I’ll go to the store with that information and try and explain what I need..

all the best
Ian

satandpcguy - 31 December 2009 06:13 PM

You can buy a USB adaptors that has the component outputs (Red, White , Yellow), which you then hook up to your TVs component inputs (or SCART with apprpriate component to scart adaptor) - (seen them in mediamarkt)

You could buy a external unit with USB playing capabilites - like a TDT receiver - transfer your downloaded things to USB stick and play them from the USB stick to the TV via the TDT receiver

You could buy one of these multimedia external hard disks - that play most AVIs, VOB, ISOs etc. (mediamarkt and Cfour do these)

Help this helps

Posted: 14 February 2010 11:56 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  196
Joined  2009-06-03
fuzzflyer - 31 December 2009 04:03 PM

looking forward to google’s new “online” computer “chrome”  due out soon they say?  we already like their browser…?

-
http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/13/samsung-doing-a-10-inch-chrome-os-netbook-later-this-year/
-

DSB.

Posted: 18 February 2010 05:04 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  120
Joined  2008-03-18

Best option is a multimedia hard drive, load the stuff to the hd and this has it’s own player software and direct connection to tv (scart, svideo, now some also hdmi,etc). It’s not the cheapest option, but from my opinion the best, extra storage,unload computer from files, no noisy computer when viewing a movie, they are small and neat.

Added: also good option of multimedia hd is the remote control 😉

Posted: 18 February 2010 10:30 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  196
Joined  2009-06-03
Pieter Vos - 18 February 2010 05:04 AM

Best option is a multimedia hard drive, load the stuff to the hd and this has it’s own player software and direct connection to tv (scart, svideo, now some also hdmi,etc). It’s not the cheapest option, but from my opinion the best, extra storage,unload computer from files, no noisy computer when viewing a movie, they are small and neat.

I prefer my Mac Mini thru Front Row using Perian & Flip4Mac connected to my HD from DVI-HDMI.

Perfect.
DSB.