Highly educated and skilled writer/researcher wants to move to Spain - now what?
Posted: 04 January 2010 01:14 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-01-04

I am currently living Granada for 1 year under a non work visa and working remotely for a college in the United States. I am a US citizen. I’ve been in the workforce for 15 years and have experience in banking, insurance, consulting and most recently as a writer/researcher. I am also a professional bike mechanic which I work on as a side job. Any ideas for places to find work in Granada or Andalucia? I don’t see much on the want ads. I am unable to continue my work for my US college after one year as they want me to return to the States.

Any and all help much appreciated!

Posted: 04 January 2010 03:59 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Start a business? Something online would probably suit you well. 😊 Perhaps a web site offering bike repair advice or know-how. What other interests do you have? Do you have a blog yet? Are you on Twitter/Facebook, etc?

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 04 January 2010 05:39 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-01-04
The Expatriator - 04 January 2010 03:59 AM

Start a business? Something online would probably suit you well. 😊 Perhaps a web site offering bike repair advice or know-how. What other interests do you have? Do you have a blog yet? Are you on Twitter/Facebook, etc?

I have run a successful Ebay business for 6 years but am not sure that would get me the visa needed to stay here. I have a website for my shop and am on Facebook - why do you ask?

Posted: 05 January 2010 12:27 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Oh, you need a visa. Are you going to get your freelancers visa for your first year?

If your business is of a decent size you may well be able start a company to sponsor yourself…

There’s also a blue card coming around the EU, though info is scarce on it. If you’re well educated it may be helpful.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.