Living and working legally?
Posted: 25 March 2010 12:37 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2010-03-25

Hello,
I am planning on taking a CELTA course from the Hyland Language Centre, located on C/ Serrano in 2011.
It is a one month course in teaching English as a foreign language. After, I wish to work in Madrid indefinitely.
I don’t have a ton of money to be flying back and forth and such. So far I was considering simply going and taking the course, and applying for residency there as soon as I got there. But I dont have any family members in Spain, just some friends.

What would be my best course of action? I really need assistance.

Amanda

Posted: 25 March 2010 08:50 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  75
Joined  2008-11-26

Hi Amanda, whereabouts do you currently live? Have you got somewhere sorted out to stay when you first arrive to do the course? I’m a bit confused about what you mean by course of action..? Is there anything specific that you need help with? Happy to help how I can..

Keidi

Signature 

Follow Keidi for free information for expats living in the sun.

Try out her business opportunity for expats

Posted: 25 March 2010 10:27 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2010-03-25

I currently live in America. I do have a place to live. My question is how do I go to Spain, legally, take this one month course, and begin to work afterwards, all of this done legally? Do I need a work visa before I go? But I will be taking this class, so I technically won’t be working for a month.

Posted: 31 March 2010 10:43 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  68
Joined  2010-01-25
enana827 - 25 March 2010 10:27 PM

I currently live in America. I do have a place to live. My question is how do I go to Spain, legally, take this one month course, and begin to work afterwards, all of this done legally? Do I need a work visa before I go? But I will be taking this class, so I technically won’t be working for a month.

Unless you have EU citizenship, it’s going to be very difficult (to not say impossible) to do what you want to do.
It’s relatively easy to get a student visa as long as you can meet all the requirements they have, but a student visa theoretically expires soon after your course ends. This doesn’t grant you permission to work.

I strongly suggest you look more into work visas and residency requirements for Spain. Unless you can meet a requirement Spain is looking for (1. being a direct descendant of a Spanish citizen 2. having citizenship from a EU country 3. doing a special program to live and work here legally such as the auxiliares de conversacion program) things are going to be very difficult.

Best of luck.