Gas Certificate Scam
Posted: 07 May 2010 10:38 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2010-05-07

Last year a guy came to the gate and said he was there to check the Gas appliances and it cost E 70 for the certificate. Apparently it should cost circa E 7 from a qualified gas engineer, so be aware.

My wife reported this “scam” to the police last year as it’s just over charging. They could do nothing and the guy called back this year !

I suggest that you tell him what I suugested to my wife that we didn’t have any gas appliances.

Apparently it’s “quite widepread and normal” according to the cops. We’re in Javea by the way.

Posted: 12 May 2010 11:47 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

Yes this is a common scam. The gas companies never send anyone without prior request and appointment. Never let these people in or give them any money - and call the policia local to deal with them.

If you do want your gas appliances checked call a reputable company and make an appointment for them to inspect. Always best to turn off your butano when you are out or away.

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/

Posted: 31 May 2010 01:16 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2009-04-05

Yes - I came across this one aswell, in the Centre of Marbella. Total scam, I’d advise getting their business card, name & company details - then report them to the local police. The character in question was quite pushy with my collegue and stated that they could only offer ‘this special offer’ today as their company locates them to different areas each week.

Posted: 05 June 2010 09:54 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  235
Joined  2007-04-25
Sean Reilly - 31 May 2010 01:16 PM

The character in question was quite pushy with my collegue and stated that they could only offer ‘this special offer’ today as their company locates them to different areas each week.

Always usually an indication as to their (lack of) integrity as a company, if indeed they are a company at all.

As others have said, it’s highly recommended to have annual inspections for your equipment, but always try to ensure it’s with a reputable local installer, with all the right accreditations to perform such work. Likewise, a reputable company will be happy to arrange a fixed appointment at a time more convenient to yourself.

Signature 

Visit our website - http://www.granadapropertyreform.com

“Dedicated to making your Spanish house a home”

Posted: 29 July 2010 10:51 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2010-07-29

Whats gas certificate scam?

Dxwood - 07 May 2010 10:38 PM

Last year a guy came to the gate and said he was there to check the Gas appliances and it cost E 70 for the certificate. Apparently it should cost circa E 7 from a qualified gas engineer, so be aware.

My wife reported this “scam” to the police last year as it’s just over charging. They could do nothing and the guy called back this year !

I suggest that you tell him what I suugested to my wife that we didn’t have any gas appliances.

Apparently it’s “quite widepread and normal” according to the cops. We’re in Javea by the way.

Posted: 16 May 2011 01:59 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  235
Joined  2007-04-25

I always recommend to anyone, that with any gas appliance such as water heaters, it’s best to have them checked by the official local service agent for the make of equipment you have, or a reputable independent installer/service company.

I’ve had a few people tell me recently than they’re having gas suppliers and companies just turn up, saying they’re there to check equipment. Once invited in to look, they inevitably say the system is either illegal, faulty, needs servicing, etc… Now in some cases that might be true, but for the people I know who they visited, it wasn’t.

In some cases, these visitors were from actual companies, who are simply using hard-sell or scaremongering tactics, to get people to sign up on the spot, to their service contracts. On two other occasions though, false identification and contact details were given and clearly the visitors were scammers.

My best advice to anyone, is not to let anyone into your home, unless they’ve contacted you in advance to arrange an appointment. Always ask for identification. Don’t sign up to anything and certainly don’t give bank details or credit card details.

Do have your gas appliances checked and serviced once per years, but as mentioned earlier, do so directly with the manufacturer of the equipment or via a locally recommended independent installer or service agent.

Much of this is common sense.

Signature 

Visit our website - http://www.granadapropertyreform.com

“Dedicated to making your Spanish house a home”

Posted: 16 May 2011 10:12 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2011-01-23

Was advised by spanish neighbours to say this to anyone wanting to inspect the gas fittings,  ‘No hay gas aqui, la toda esta de luz’ (There is no gas here, everything is electric) and they will go away. You can always call the Guardia Seville if they become persistant and they will disappear also as you dial the number.

If you want the fittings inspected then get a quote first or a recommend from a neighbour and never allow unsolicited inspections/visitors to enter your home.

Apologies in advance for spanish and translations.

Stay safe and kind regards, ruth