Considering moving to Madrid on a job offer - Advice?
Posted: 14 May 2010 06:19 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2010-05-14

Hi Guys,

I am currently working in the UK Armed Forces. I am considering leaving and have been offered a job based initially in Madrid (then Seville) on a 3 year contract. My family will stay in the UK for the foreseeable future.

I am trying to decide whether or not it is finanically viable, given the slump in the Euro and the likely fallout of the Greek bailout.

Also I am trying to establish an outline cost of living for a 1 bedroom flat in central Madrid, plus taxes, food, electricity and internet bills etc. I doubt I’d run a car whilst in Madrid.

So what is the approx monthly cost of living (rent)?
How much is Spanish income tax? Will “Beckhams Law” affect me?
What are the typical household bills (per month) in Madrid?
What are the potholes to be negotiated?
Shoud I be paid into a UK bank or a Spanish one?
What is the impact of the exchange rates and can any savings be made?

Any help gratefully recieved.

Shaun

Posted: 05 June 2010 07:34 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-05-14

Well, no one replied.

Anyway, things have moved on and the contract is now in Seville, which promises a cheaper cost of living, espec rent.

So same questions really?

Also am I better off buying a LHD car in the UK and bringing it with me, or buying when in Spain?

Posted: 05 June 2010 11:42 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2008-06-23
Winchweight - 14 May 2010 06:19 PM

I am trying to decide whether or not it is finanically viable, given the slump in the Euro and the likely fallout of the Greek bailout.

Without knowing how much you earn its impossible to know if it viable, but as a guide Spain really does not differ in price compared to the UK, not on average.

But if you have a young person who is into Dora the Explorer it is expensive, my Sister in law cannot find cloths as cheap as the UK with Dora on them, also we send cloths from Primark as Spain lacks cloth options found in the UK high street, in general.

Food shopping, bills are similar to the UK, no council tax, just community which in many areas is higher than UK council tax.

So what is the approx monthly cost of living (rent)?

Ranges from 400- 1,000’s.

How much is Spanish income tax? Will “Beckhams Law” affect me?

Similar percentage to the UK, no idea what it is though.

What are the typical household bills (per month) in Madrid?

Similar to London, though now your going to Seville, similar to Manchester.

What are the potholes to be negotiated?

Same as the rest of the world, depends on employer, some are good, some are bad, laws in Spain for employees though are worse than the UK.

Shoud I be paid into a UK bank or a Spanish one?

I got paid into Spanish bank, my Spanish employer insisted on that, which I didn’t mind as the exchange rate was better and high.

What is the impact of the exchange rates and can any savings be made?

At the moment every 1,000 Euros your earn you’ll gain ?170 if exchanged to pounds, when I worked there the rate was around 1 Euro 40, so I gained a lot sending money home.

I lived and worked in Spain, it was an eye opener, one I’ll never want to repeat and many I meet didn’t hang round in Spain too long either.

Spain is a great place if your retired, but to work its a shi8te hole, but thats not every bodies experience, but a lot of expats don’t work for Spanish companies, so getting a balance view is difficult.

They don’t pay well either and lie, lots.

Anyway good luck.

Signature 

“I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.”

Posted: 05 June 2010 11:50 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2008-06-23
Winchweight - 05 June 2010 07:34 PM

Also am I better off buying a LHD car in the UK and bringing it with me, or buying when in Spain?

Buying in Spain would be easier regards the rules etc, although more expensive and there are not many second hand dealers, most are private sales and can be a mine field especially when a foreigner with no understanding of the rules turn up, many have been ripped off, don’t believe the stereotype of Spanish people being nice and friendly, there are just as many that will rip you off.

Its almost a national pass time, bars are full of guys bragging about ripping someone off, my grandparents in law even used to steal milk from Euroski, not one or too but 30 boxes at a time, which I nearly blew on my first visit with them to the shop, I went to reach for the box on the bars under the trolley, my mother in law nearly rugby tackled me away as they smiled and strolled through the checkouts, they’d been stealing it ever since the supermarket was invented.

There is no Watchdog in Spain to complain too, people rely on their wits and knowledge to avoid problems, to the cost of many an expat who left there brain on the plane.

Signature 

“I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.”

Posted: 06 June 2010 03:16 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-05-14

Sounds like you had a rough time, but thanks for the replies.

I’ll be working for Airbus and would like advice on where is nice to live and where is most definately not? I’ll be using a company agent to find accom that I then pay for myself.

‹‹ Decisions      Where do I look? ››