You must be a logged-in member to vote
Manual how to watch UK TV online
Posted: 18 May 2010 03:05 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-05-18

Hi all,

I have been looking for a solution as to how to watch UK TV online for quite a while now as this is the only way for me to get it and now I would like to share my results with you as some forums have helped me to finally succeed.

There are many ways of watching UK TV online, and here some ways I have found and my recommendation.

Option 1:
I have tried the service of http://www.ukproxyserver.co.uk as they offer a free 48 hour trial. There are two different ways of connecting to the service, you can either use a Proxy server or a VPN connection. After searching a bit on Google, I found that some people have warned about Proxy servers as all of your traffic will be routed through a server controlled by the owner of it ? in this case UK Proxy Server ? and of course they can see, copy, manipulate, basically do whatever they want to do. I am not saying that UK Proxy Server are doing any of that, but I would not rely on that. The other option they have is a VPN connection to their servers over there, compared to the Proxy Server, if I am right, it does not redirect all your traffic over this connection and you have more options to watch television as you can use more free tools (e.g. Zattoo). The VPN connection did work but, I could not find any UK channels, so I am not sure what I might have done wrong. It also needs a high broadband speed in order to work properly at peak viewing times.  I did not check it much further as I found another solution in a forum around the same time which suited me much better and unlike UK Proxy Server, it is completely free.

Option 2: (Best solution I have found until now):
It is a very smart way of watching UK television as it is just using the VLC player (a popular player to watch videos or listen to music) and then importing a playlist with UK TV channels.

How does it work?
1.  Go to the VLC website, download and install the player.
2.  Download the zip file attached to this post (UKTV2.zip)
3.  Unpack the downloaded file on to your desktop, it contains only one file which is the playlist with all available channels
4.  Start the VLC player
5.  Drag & Drop the file into the VLC player
6.  The player starts streaming the Channel BBC1
7.  To change the channel click on View—> Playlist and double click on the desired channel

That should be it and UK TV online should be now available on your PC. As I am the lucky owner of a television which has a connection for my PC, so I can even watch it on the big screen now, just like I would do in the UK.  You can also choose either high or low speed depending on your connection ? it does affect the quality of the picture so you would only be able to watch on a regular sized computer screen, but if you have a slow internet connection, choosing the low speed will eliminate problems with the picture breaking up.

There is more information about this on different blogs, here is a link to another thread if you are interested in more detailed information:
myp2pforum.eu

Option 3:
Filmon.com ? This is a service a friend of mine was using for the last couple of months. In general it was not a bad service, but compared to the VLC it has two significant disadvantages: 1. It is not a free service 2. It breaks up quite frequently if your connection is not super fast! There are different subscriptions available on their website.

Option 4:
ADSL provider, I have found an ADSL provider offering free UK television with their ADSL connection. I was reading their website to find out how this is possible as all other services ? except for the VLC player ? is not free of charge and even more important are the legal issues in that case. I do not want to migrate my ADSL connection to another provider just because of UK television which might stop working in a couple of weeks. I have contacted them and asked if they could guarantee that the service will be available in the future too, but unfortunately in the reply I was only asked for my phone number so they can check if I can use the service. As my questions have not been answered I have sent them another email, but I am still waiting for the reply, as soon as I have received it I will give you an update.

Conclusion:
Option 2 is definitely the best solution I have found and I hope it will continue to work for sometime. I hope this article does help some of you and I would appreciate if you could let me know your experiences and solutions on how to watch UK TV online.

File Attachments
UKTV2.zip  (File Size: 2KB - Downloads: 8726)

Posted: 18 May 2010 04:20 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

Yes you are right seems to work very well.

I use this for football (but you can get all sports)

download Sopcast

http://www.sopcast.com/download/

then choose from here
http://myp2p.eu/index.php?part=sports

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/

Posted: 14 June 2010 08:41 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

Spain expat original post is spot on - I used this to watch BBC last night without a problem. My download Sopcast system is hardly “waaay too complicated” and its free. But each to their own.

Signature 

Rob

Posted: 14 June 2010 09:24 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

OK!

Yes the 1st post was a bit wordy - I just cut to the chase and tried out his suggestion, which on a good ADSL line works fine.

Until the BBC ‘fix it’ I suppose.

Signature 

Rob

Posted: 15 June 2010 01:49 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  196
Joined  2009-06-03
WatchUKTV - 15 June 2010 01:33 PM

Lol, damn the BBC.

Though I do like the iplayer service very much so

UK Telly Toolbar is a very easy option with free trial.
Used it years ago, slows the PC / Browser down a lot though.
DSB.

Posted: 15 June 2010 02:48 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

well some news on this ip company that give you tv from around the world ... few tv station now going after the the forums/blogs for help to Advertising there site and Eu looking in two this , there was a case last year where both the forum and Satellite company where brought to court . over copyright
jurdy

Posted: 15 June 2010 08:42 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-07-13

If a company re distributes content, then they are in breach of copyright. So if someone downloads a video file from a file sharing site, that is breach of copyright, if another company has a satellite dish and collects the program material into their network and then provides access to that content, then that is also a breach of copyright. All of which are illegal, and can be rightly prosecuted. It is the same as making a duplicate of a DVD, CD, Cassette or L.
However if a company provides a connection to a server via either a secure VPN or over a proxy, then they are just offering a change of Point of presence to the Internet. In the case of UK TV, then the Proxy or VPN emerges in the UK onto the Internet.

If the user then - through the normal browser - hops over to say bbc.co.uk/iplayer and clicks on a program, then they are doing what any other user might do. If they access any content - it is streamed from the BBC, who own the copyright, and have made a choice to provide it in response to that request. Clearly NO Crime is committed.
Further, I have seen people query that if you are watching BBC programs but have not paid a licence fee, then this is also wrong. This is false, go to http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/about_iplayer/tvlicence where the BBC make it clear you only need a licence if you watch simulcast live TV - personally I do not watch live TV - long gone are the days when someone tells me when to watch TV, I remember as a child having the TV positioned so we could watch Thunderbirds whilst we were having tea, as ITV insisted it went on at tea time, and mother insisted tea time was fixed! Nowadays I use the iPlayer to time shift everything. OK, I can see that football and Tennis and F1 are better live, but watching the news or a documentary or a drama can be done anytime, preferably after sunset and after the evening meal, rather than during. The BBC iPlayer is one of the best apps on the market - and its free I use the VPN service from cthetv.co.uk to access a server in the UK that I can connect from to the BBC (and ITV and C4 and C5 if they ever have any programs on that are worthy of the name)
The BBC iPlayer now supports BBC HD, and my new lap top with its fast processor and whizzy screen resolution works a treat with teh HD content, but no internet connection on Spain will be able to stream the HD content, so you need to use teh iPlayer desktop to download it overnight- to watch within 30 days of downloading. Fully legal, no need top be worried about re distributing material and no need for a licence.
Hope that all helps.

Posted: 15 June 2010 09:25 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

BBC and ITV and C4 and C5 do not alouad there stremming outside the uk . just had chat with one guys in the bbc and say to me there only company .. that have the permission to stream there only tv via the net and any one useing some eles stream is 1 .  breach of copyright laws 2 . Under the DMCA certain content is protected for use by online publications, even if it?s copyrighted. Stipulations include the length of a video clip used, among other things. 3 it forum off Piracy and you can be tracked . been digial you leve a traip behinh you .

as some was sayying two few days ago there net bill went trought the roof watching uk tv via the net here in spain as the net is not cheap ... go over you limits here you know about it

ha dish not that not to much and most think on uk tv is on tdt here

jurdy

Posted: 16 June 2010 02:02 AM   [ # 8 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  104
Joined  2008-07-07

I saw a report this week that ITV C4 and Five have launched action against TVCATCHUP, that allows users to catchup on UK TV.
ATM the serice is only in the UK, but the UK channels have / are asking for their content to be removed as TVCATCHUP no not have the required permissions to have the broadcasters material on their service.
So if third party services in the UK are not able to stream and allow access to iplayers even in the UK, what makes it right that these third party VPNs etc can do so around europe…?
Surely its only a matter of time before they try to stop these VPNs access to their players, just in the same way they can block proxy servers…

If it was OK then surely the UK broadcasters would do it themselves and make some money to pump back into their programming budgets, and not allow these third party VPN networks to make money (ie rip off) from the UK broadcasters without paying for the right to do so….? Isnt that classed as theft?

At least with the free to air satellite signals the end users are getting the signal directly from “overspill” from the satellites and not by paying a third party for third party access….

And if you are only interested in selected programmes, to downlaod whenever you want to, then a “torrent” / p2p service like uknova or thebox.bz would be better…as they are free, no DRM copyprotection, no requirement to rush your viewing in the 30 days, and no need to send your credit card details to companies that have no real contact addess, phone number, postal addess or email address available on their website….

(I wonder if “Chriswf” is related to Christopher Followell who has registered this new site….username looks awfully similar to the registrar!! Maybe its my imagination and or coincidence…....)

Or even use the free VLC player option that is available for UK TV streaming see “_http://www.myp2pforum.eu/threads/34834-UKTV-VLC-Playlist” for details….i think this is the only website this has not been mentioned on!!!

“Clearly NO Crime is committed” - could be classed as fraud…using a third party pay service to make it appear you are connecting from somewhre where you are not, to gain access to items that are not intended for you…...?
And as you are deemed to be connecting to the iplayer in the UK (albeit using this third party) then surely you must be required to have a TV license…as you are connecting to the iplayer service from within the uk….?

Signature 

The Sat And PC Guy
Sky TV in Spain. Costa Banca Satellite TV
Free Business Directory

Posted: 25 June 2010 01:04 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Okay, I finally got a VPN service going here but I can’t find where to watch the live Mundial games via BBC. Should I try ITV instead? Anyone know of an iPhone compatible stream (ie no Flash players)?

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 05 March 2011 11:06 AM   [ # 10 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-03

Whats going on with this Forum lately ????
I keep getting updates on my subscriptions to threads, only to find out that there are no new posts….
DSB.

Posted: 05 March 2011 01:24 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  104
Joined  2008-07-07

There was a new post, saying go to their website…

Signature 

The Sat And PC Guy
Sky TV in Spain. Costa Banca Satellite TV
Free Business Directory

Posted: 05 March 2011 04:54 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

Spam post deleted…link led to a blank page anyway!

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Posted: 08 March 2011 10:24 AM   [ # 13 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-03

LOL - I find your reply quite ironic, seen as though you are promoting iPLAYER abroad.
Looks like you need to find another “venture”.

Google it yourself, it’s quite easy.
DSB.

Posted: 08 March 2011 03:38 PM   [ # 14 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

chris3 post deleted…SPAM

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Posted: 02 April 2011 04:15 PM   [ # 15 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2008-08-06

Hi,

a bit late to the post but is option 2 still a viable option? trying now and the only channel that works for me is one called france 24

thanks

1 2 > 
1 of 2