1 of 2
Connecting a computer to a digital TV
Posted: 20 May 2010 06:21 PM  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

OK here is the thing

I am now successfully watching live football on my computer but I would like to connect this service to my TV and watch football through the internet on my 32 inch LG TV.

The TV has an array of connectors on the back like something out of the Star Ship enterprise - so one assumes this is possible - but how exactly?

I have USB, RGB/DVI, HDMI, RGB, RS232C, Scart…..

Do I use the RGB (PC) IN ??

Just out of interest what is the USB for - one of those hard disk recorders ?

Also why is it only possible to turn off the power (ie not standby but actually OFF) by disconnecting it from the socket, surelythat is crazy and encourages power wastage.

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/

Posted: 21 May 2010 02:17 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

Rob Hi.

We routinely use our 32” LCD TV as a computer monitor.

Use the RGB (PC In) connector,

Despite being a widescreen Tv we find that we get the best performance out of the system by setting the monitor properties on the computer to 1024x768 which equates to a 4:3 set up so not all of the screen is displaying the picture. I think you will also find that if you currently use a CRT monitor for your computer to will have to use the 15way connector on the video card of your computer.You can use the same cable to connect between the computer and monitor but you may need to purchase a gender changer for the input to the TV. Dont know about the LG series of Tv’s but the Toshiba manual for our TV includes a section on using the TV as a monitor.

As for the USB socket…havent a clue….....

We have a DVD-HD recorder and I still haven’t fathomed out how to use the damn thing…should have stuck with VHS and DVD! The manual is in Spanish only and despite my many attempts at translating it, its still gobbledegook…

As for turning the TV off….is there not a switch on the front of the set at the bottom of the screen? I can turn our Toshiba off but tend to be lazy and just leave it in standby from the remote….......

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Posted: 21 May 2010 11:24 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  104
Joined  2008-07-07

You will need to connect the VGA Output on your PC / to the VGA / PC In on the TV.
Normally a normal monitor cable will do.

But this will not carry the sound. YOu will need to run a cable from the audio outputs on yur PC to either audio inputs on your TV or a hifi system with audio inputs.

THe USB slot may be able to run a pendrive….so you can watch downloaded tv, movies, pictures etc from that pendrive directly onto the TV…if your TV can do that.

(Some USB slots on TVs are purely for serive engineers to update the software for the TV!)

There was talk / rumours that there was very litttle in power saving between a TV in standby mode and swicthing off at the mains…and switching on and off could be more harmful to the TV as opposed to standby with the “surge” of power each time you turn on and off affecting the components….dont know how true that is these days….

Signature 

The Sat And PC Guy
Sky TV in Spain. Costa Banca Satellite TV
Free Business Directory

Posted: 21 May 2010 11:28 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  196
Joined  2009-06-03
ROB1305 - 20 May 2010 06:21 PM

OK here is the thing

I am now successfully watching live football on my computer but I would like to connect this service to my TV and watch football through the internet on my 32 inch LG TV.

The TV has an array of connectors on the back like something out of the Star Ship enterprise - so one assumes this is possible - but how exactly?

I have USB, RGB/DVI, HDMI, RGB, RS232C, Scart…..

Do I use the RGB (PC) IN ??

Just out of interest what is the USB for - one of those hard disk recorders ?

Also why is it only possible to turn off the power (ie not standby but actually OFF) by disconnecting it from the socket, surelythat is crazy and encourages power wastage.

Instead of Standby they sometimes call it power saving - Have a better look around the menu’s, but surley top left or right of the remote is standby…(?)
USB on the TV more than likely is for photo display.  Dump pictures onto your thumbdrive, or even maybe a hard drive - Then browse the devices thru TV menus.  Also, maybe your TV has divx encoder built in and it may be able to play an avi file straight from the USB source.

If your computer has hdmi out then I would use that to connect to the tv, as it will carry your sound also (analogue only) in one cable. Using a VGA cable ‘was’ more common, but you will then have to carry the sound separately thru the headphone jack output/on PC into the TV or into your sound system

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Connect-your-computer-to-a-TV

P.S: I have my Apple MacMini connected straight from DVI-HDMI -> 46” Sony HD LCD and tosslink out to 5.1.
DSB.

Posted: 21 May 2010 02:28 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

Brilliant stuff everyone - thanks.

Signature 

Rob

Posted: 22 May 2010 05:31 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  106
Joined  2006-02-09

DSB is exactly on. I too have this set up and can vouch for its supremecy. Avoid VGA cables! HDMI is much better.

Signature 

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Facebook for updates, advice, news, and highlights.

Posted: 22 May 2010 02:46 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

OK Guys (note ladies absence on this thread!) now the $64k question - So when are we going to be able to buy a TV with a CPU in it ie a TVComp (TVC?) Surely that is the future?

Signature 

Rob

Posted: 22 May 2010 04:12 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-03
ROB1305 - 22 May 2010 02:46 PM

OK Guys (note ladies absence on this thread!) now the $64k question - So when are we going to be able to buy a TV with a CPU in it ie a TVComp (TVC?) Surely that is the future?

Not viable I’m sure.  As the Computer market is so widespread I wouldn’t think its worth entertaining an investment into a sole integrated full Computer system w/TV.

Although you can buy CAT5/Wifi TV’s with google / yahoo / youtube front ends built in already.  However, GoogleTV will be launched in the Winter of 2010 for the widespread function of a multimillion channel TV System.  Either thru your computer 2 TV or a separate top box.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/20/google-tv-turns-on-at-i-o/

I don’t need my TV to be a Computer, as I have a Computer that works wonderful whilst connected to a TV. See below examples of an fairly decent Apple Set up…

http://www.123macmini.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2&pos=32
http://www.123macmini.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2&pos=62

DSB.

Posted: 22 May 2010 06:14 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

Thanks again, more interesting stuff.

By co-incidence just read this in the RTN

http://www.roundtownnews.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=23625&Itemid=353

see the middle pages - 36/37 Europa TV Advert.

what do you experts think of their claims?

Signature 

Rob

Posted: 22 May 2010 06:41 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-03
ROB1305 - 22 May 2010 06:14 PM

Thanks again, more interesting stuff.

By co-incidence just read this in the RTN

http://www.roundtownnews.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=23625&Itemid=353

see the middle pages - 36/37 Europa TV Advert.

what do you experts think of their claims?

Can’t load the player up at the moment - What’s is about in details ????
DSB.

Posted: 22 May 2010 06:51 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  104
Joined  2008-07-07

Basically, get their phone and internet service, and then you can access their own private streaming service for the UK TV channels….probably like their own “VPN / proxy” service…..ie rebroadcasting but by internet and not land based transmitters…...

Dont forget you can get ITV1 (with a sky card) and the BBC Sports streams on a small 60-80cm dish! And most of the other channels they list also (tiny, Chart Show, Five, Sky News) and with a sky card and small dish Fiver, Five USA, and with a sky card and HD box ITV HD….yup some World Cup matches in HD on a small dish!!!
....you only need a “big dish” for the “free to air” (ie no sky card) BBC1,2,3,4, ITV2,3,4, C4, E4, M4 and Five.

Makes you wonder why they say they can do it legally here in Spain (and make a profit and by not paying for the right to use the channels), and yet the UK broadcasters cannot…so third party “streamers” make a profit off someone else back….(one of the main uk based TVcatchup is also not yet available outside the UK!!)

It could be the fact that Spain “rebroadcast laws” are a bit more relaxed and the server is based in Spain and not the UK….?
But then I am sure I read that EU law prevents changing the platform of a broadcast (ie TV to internet) without permission from the channels.
And maybe by saying you get it “free” or as an “extra” to their service they are not really profiting from it…....

Maybe Jurdy can shed some more light onto this….wherever you are!!!

Signature 

The Sat And PC Guy
Sky TV in Spain. Costa Banca Satellite TV
Free Business Directory

Posted: 22 May 2010 08:29 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

yes its up two the tv brodcaster to allow internet tv to rebrodcast , ie if you pick up tv in london via Terrestrial TV equipment (aerials / antennas ) its free two do so .
if you pick tv via cable in London you pay free to cable company wich pay the tv company . Ie bbc via cable ( cable company have deal to pay bbc )

free sat , sky ,  Digital Satellite Systems for single dwelling is ok in london but when you community installations off less then 10 you not need to opprate a cable tv company .

its the tv company whos say where that can brodcast to what area ... and more off the tv programs and flim company who sell block off area in EU

ie glee is on Ch4 and rte2 in Uk and ireland but via sat it block if you watch in ireland via ch4 channels all down to copyrights

No internet tv company has the right to rebrodcast bbc itv ch4 ch5 .... we see teleMiroc closed down and the Sat company last year

an Satellite company that ownes it own network off Satellite 38,000 km in the sky were told to stop brodcast unlicense tv are that have to pay for the copyright , with few day the singles where gone off the subcarries

Posted: 22 May 2010 11:25 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

Sorry guys I am getting a bit lost now but I can tell you this - from another recent thread here - I am using VLC software and getting live BBC crystal clear on my PC plus I am using Sopcast software to watch sports which is adequate.

Plus and here is a big thing - I (like many others ?) am actually watching a lot less TV, why? because most of it is crap and I would rather be on the internet or writing or reading (if any of the other of life’s pleasures are not on offer)

Signature 

Rob

Posted: 23 May 2010 08:11 AM   [ # 13 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-03
ROB1305 - 22 May 2010 11:25 PM

Sorry guys I am getting a bit lost now but I can tell you this - from another recent thread here - I am using VLC software and getting live BBC crystal clear on my PC plus I am using Sopcast software to watch sports which is adequate.

Plus and here is a big thing - I (like many others ?) am actually watching a lot less TV, why? because most of it is crap and I would rather be on the internet or writing or reading (if any of the other of life’s pleasures are not on offer)

What you are doing is the norm, although what you ‘are doing’ will eek you into a new territory of what you use your computer for..
(A good one)

A great place, amongst dozens, is EZTV-dot-it - You will need a torrent client to download these, a bit like you use vlc to play music…
DSB.

Posted: 26 May 2010 06:37 PM   [ # 14 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

Ok so if you need to use the monitor cable then I guess you could not use a laptop? (they don’t have the socket)

Signature 

Rob

Posted: 26 May 2010 07:06 PM   [ # 15 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-03
ROB1305 - 26 May 2010 06:37 PM

Ok so if you need to use the monitor cable then I guess you could not use a laptop? (they don’t have the socket)

All depends on which Computer you have / model / age ???

You could have VGA / DVI / HDMI Video out, for the past several years all laptops have had a Video out.
I have many Computers, but the only PC I have connected to a 46” Sony LCD HD is an Acer One Netbook [ 6"x9” Display ].
Yet I have it outputting onto a 46” TV, and the headphone output connects 3.5mmJack to an AUX3 Input on my Surround system…

If your laptop does not posses an output, then you can’t output I’m afraid.
DSB.

1 2 > 
1 of 2