TEFL vs. CELTA- which is better?
Posted: 04 November 2010 05:46 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-11-04

Hello I am moving to Madrid in January and I am going to get a CELTA or TEFL certification. I have been looking at the CELTA courses at the British Language Centre, IHMadrid, and the Hyland Language Centre. I have also been looking at getting a TEFL certification from Canterbury. Canterbury seems cheaper and seems to include more extras. I found this on the website:
The main features of the course include:
- Orientation breakfast and “kick-off” Cocktail evening event.
- Intensive Hands-On Practical Course, 120+ hours.
- Canterbury International TEFL Certificate is accredited by the College of Teachers in London, England
- 20 hours of Paid Practice Teaching.***
- 20 hours of children practice teaching module.
- 20 hours of business practice teaching module.
- Small, intimate, enjoyable classes taught by a caring and   well-rounded team of trainers who enjoy training in a comfortable and   pleasant family atmosphere.
- Free Internet and Photocopy Services.
- Guaranteed TEFL Jobs teaching English in Madrid during the   school year upon successful completion of the course.
- Summer Job opportunities and a chance to teach in   Summer Camps throughout Spain upon successful   completion of   the course.

However, I will pay more to get a CELTA certificate if it is much better to have then the Canterbury TEFL when trying to get a job. Which one should I take? Please let me know if you have any advice!!

Posted: 13 January 2011 01:01 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2011-01-12

It Depends on where you want to teach. There are some places that won’t play without full meal deal CELTA Trinity College. Other places don’t matter. I think that research is more important right now is research in which the purpose of teaching, which intends to teach, and what kind of qualifications these places compare.

Signature 

translation companies

Posted: 05 February 2011 09:08 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2011-02-05

I’ve looked into TEFL & CELTA certifications a bit, and I initially thought Canterbury sounded great too with all their fun “extras”. Until I read that it’s participants are working illegally (saw this on a blog or forum but don’t remember where- if I come across it again, I’ll post the link here.) It sounds like they do what they advertise, so it’s not a scam in the sense that it doesn’t exist. But I wouldn’t want to get involved with a program where I’m not I’d be out of luck if a problem arrises (oh, this is from a non-EU perspective. If you’re an EU citizen, I’d bet you won’t be working illegally.) Canterbury gives you a job during the school year, but you’re not employed at a school; you’re given a schedule of private lessons with kids, teens, and/or business professionals, and they can be individual or groups up to 20 people. ...Your income be smaller whenever you have days off for holidays. ...I really wish non-EU citizens had more options!

Does anyone have more information on Canterbury, as mine is all second-hand?

The best options I’ve found (for teaching English in Spain) are the Language & Culture Assistant programs through CIEE & the Ministerio de Educaci?n (through the Spanish Govt). They both provide 700 Euros per month (regardless of holidays). 

I?m considering the 2 above options, but would really like to find a good TEFL/TESOL/CELTA course prior the start of the program. Ideally I?d like a program that trains for both children and adults. CELTA programs seem to be good- are they mainly desired in Europe, or do they carry the same weight in Asia & Latin America (as I may eventually end up in one of those locations, even though I?m starting in Europe). But unfortunately they?re only focused on adults. Does the Canterbury TEFL COURSE seem ok to do if you don?t go their route for the school year?

This seems to be a good site for differences between the different certifications, as well as other info on teaching English as a second language:
http://www.cactustefl.com/get_started/interviews/tefl_jeremy_page.php

Posted: 11 March 2011 08:24 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-03-11

Hi, Kelly333.

I know this is a little late, but here’s my penny’s worth.

If you don’t know enough to know the difference between the two courses, then you’re quite new to this.
As a newbie, I would hold fire on spending such a large amount of money until I were more sure.
Why don’t you keep your money in the bank, go to Spain, and find a part time spot somewhere in a smaller school that doesn’t require certification?
Be honest with them and let them know what your qualifications are, or are not.
I’m talking about perhaps 1 or 2 short evening classes 4 or 5 days a week - conversation, speaking and listening - that type of thing.
You would be in at the deep end, and it would be a matter of conscience how much time you put into prep, extra materials. etc. You can find an awful lot of information and materials on the internet these days, and you would have the time to research…
Stay with the job, and make it a part of a “learning holiday”, then see how you feel about teaching after a few months.
You would have a small income, be able to see what the job is like and whether you suit it and it suits you, and after speaking to other teachers on the job and around town, would perhaps have a better idea of in which direction you want to take things.
If you love it, and want to make into a full-time career, go for the CELTA - it’s highly regarded and recognised worldwide.
If you can see yourself teaching English for a few years, traveling around a little, but ultimately doing something else for a career, go for the TEFL qualification.

Be aware that by taking this route, you would most probably be working at the bottom end of the scale re management support, materials, etc, but keep in mind when you make your course decision - good qualifications will generally get you better working conditions.

Get hold of a copy of these books , they will help you a lot when you start out, whichever route you decide to take…

Learning Teaching, by Jim Scrivener (Macmillan)
Practice of English Language Teaching, by Jeremy Harmer (Longman)
Essential Grammar in Use, by Raymond Murphy (Cambridge University Press)
English Grammar in Use, by Raymond Murphy (Cambridge University Press)

I went for the CELTA, myself.

Best of luck, and Enjoy!

PP

Posted: 24 March 2011 09:07 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2010-11-13

TEFL vs. CELTA- which is better?

There’s only one way to find out… FIGHT!

I’m really sorry it’s of no help to you, I just couldn’t resist ;p

Signature 

Irish guy in Pontevedra, find me also on
http://www.facebook.com or
http://www.englishpresence.com :coolhmm:

Posted: 07 December 2011 02:29 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-12-07

Hello, it sounds like you have a fair bit of experience regarding the choice of tefl / celta, so wondered if you could help me?
i am looking to go and live for maybe 2 years in spain but not in areas where the international schools are based.(my partner is spanish and i would live with her - so to start with i am only looking for part time work, and money is not too much of an issue to begin with), 
I am considering teaching english as a foreign language, maybe in an academy or private tuition. Many people seem to recommend CELTA as the ultimate, however it expensive and does not seem to be available in a pure online version. I am an experienced teacher of 13 years and i am currently employed full time in th uk teaching A level ICT, i have also worked in 11 to 16 schools, so i dont feel i need the classroom experience side of things, however i do need the grounding of english grammar etc. So, would an online tefl be acceptable? (much cheaper and convenient).
So, i would like your opinion, would an online tefl course be enough? would it help me get work? Would there be opportunities for someone in my position?
any help welcome!
thanks

Posted: 25 May 2018 09:53 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2018-05-25

Celta is British based. Is TESOL/TESL/TEFL also? I would love to see a sample of the course format.