Where can I get a Certificate of Residency in US
Posted: 23 November 2010 01:32 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-11-11

I am going crazy trying to figure out where to get this document and the worst part is that nobody knows! I need this paper to get married in Spain. For those of you that did get married in Spain where did you get this paper!?
Does Spain accept my Tax Clearance form? A certificate of Current Voter registration? Or a copy of a Rental contract? If yes, then great! I can get that easily. But my Spaniard says they want a Certificate!
I live in Hawaii (US) and this small island isn’t very good at knowing this simple question…

Thanks for you time, Please Help!

Posted: 23 November 2010 02:20 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

angeljen Hi;

The following may help;

http://www.spainexpat.com/spain/information/foreigners_marrying_a_spaniard/

and

http://www.dmv.org/hi-hawaii/id-cards.php

Hope this helps a little;

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Posted: 23 November 2010 03:36 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  453
Joined  2008-12-30
angeljen - 23 November 2010 01:32 AM

I am going crazy trying to figure out where to get this document and the worst part is that nobody knows! I need this paper to get married in Spain. For those of you that did get married in Spain where did you get this paper!?

What is your citizenship?
Could you write down the list of documents you have to submit?
are you getting married in a civil ceremony?

Posted: 30 December 2010 02:03 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-12-30
angeljen - 23 November 2010 01:32 AM

Does Spain accept my Tax Clearance form? A certificate of Current Voter registration? Or a copy of a Rental contract? If yes, then great! I can get that easily. But my Spaniard says they want a Certificate!
I live in Hawaii (US) and this small island isn’t very good at knowing this simple question…

Thanks for you time, Please Help!

Hi how are you? Don’t worry. We all went through the same. I know how it feel to be frustrated.

First, make sure what ever the documents you are going to get is only valid for 3 months. So you got only 3 months window period.

Things you need in the US.

1: Get a copy of your Birth certificate.

2: If you are married previously. Then get your divorce certificate.

you need to take 1 and 2 to the office of your “secretary of state” and get you Apostille stamp on it.

3: If you have been living in Spain for past two years and you have been empadronado were you live. If not just come to spain and go to the US consulate they will give you letter saying that you have been living in the states for past two years.

Things you need to in Spain.

Find an approved translator to translate all the documents into Spanish. Make sure all these will be valid only for 3 months. Good luck.

Posted: 13 January 2011 05:59 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2011-01-13

I had to get the ?certificate of residency? as well in order to get married in Spain. Let me tell you the trick I used since this document does not exist in the US.

I found an example of a legal affidavit online and basically copied the structure of the document to write my own letter stating that I was a legal resident of Washington State, etc, etc.  I then went down to then nearest office with notary service and signed the letter in front of a notary who then, of course, stamped the letter.  If the letter is ?legal? in your state (Ie: by being signed by a notary), then it is therefore eligible for an Apostille which makes it a legal document in Spain.

So there is the trick ? write it yourself, get it notarized which makes it legal in your state, which therefore makes it eligible for an Apostille which makes it a legal document in Spain.