Ikea - Malaga.  A Living Nightmare!
Posted: 14 January 2011 10:24 AM  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

I saw a post on another forum about the mindless, thoughtless layout/treatment of Ikea towards its customers…

http://www.theguidetospain.com/ikea_malaga_ikea_complaints_complaint_ikea_malaga.html

*Mods - If not Ok to post link:

Basically -
Poor guy just went to buy some mirrors for his new shop. But on getting there was sent hither and tither as the staff did not have a clue. Then when he did find what he had seen in the catalogue.. it was a higher price than advertised.
He is a fit young thing, but suffers from asthma, and after having to hike round and round (I reckon it is getting on for 1km by the time you have snaked through the top level and the lower one)... he had an attack and the security staff would not let him out the nearest exit (He had left his inhaler in the car). 

Sadly I have to report things do not seem to have changed since this chaps frightening experience:

I visited the store yestertday and I was naieve enough to think buying a sofa bed there would be a) easy, b) a fun experience.

Like Jason I suffered an attack (claustrophobia in my case) and I could not get out!
Even when my partner tried to help and sat me down in the cafeteria (which is half way round the ?rat run?), it was not possible
to get me a coffee quickly or easily (yet another rat run full of rats), even though the ?drink all you like? machines are in the dining area.
*You have to go through yet another snaking line of barriers to get to the cash desk to pay and get your cup.

We eventually took the stairs down a level, had to make a dash through the entire ground floor (there really is no alternative!),
and escape to fresh air!

I did think as we went in it was a bit of ?fun? that they suggest you pick up a store map at the start to ?guide you?.  I now see it is the only way
you will get out again! 

What was supposed to be a fun shopping experience turned into a nightmare!

Grrrrrrr??.

Shame on you Ikea!

ps - I found Jasons story after I got home and I had started to recover from my ‘experience’.

Please post here if there are any other stores like this - and I will avoid!

Posted: 17 January 2011 04:51 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  196
Joined  2009-06-03

I would think that being in ANY place or situation “whilst having an attack of claustrophobia” would NOT be a nice experience.
On that note it sounds like you should stay away from Ikea, or any place for the matter that gives you such an experience.

If you take the word “Ikea” away is sounds just like any Large & Busy Shopping Area.
DSB.

Posted: 21 January 2011 03:38 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-01

Hi DSB,
I am Ok in Myramar Centre in Fuengirola, La Canada in Marbella, El Corte Ingles, etc etc. In fact Ok in most places, including small elevators in apt stores and blocks, and even in places that are jam packed with shoppers.

It is the ‘tunnel’ experience that freaked me out (as it has others). I.e there is no escape route and unless you have been in the store before, you don’t know how long/far it is going to be to an exit! 

I know I would not fare well on those closed in tunnels at the water park, or in a ghost train/ride type thing as you are forced to sit there for the whole ride.
But I never imagined for one minute that going to buy some home goods could be on this level!

(The only other time I have had an attack in the last 5yrs was when I had to go for an MRI - and as you can imagine that brings out the claustrophoiba in anyone who might have a tendency - In fact I was told it is a very high percentage). 

No, Ikea have got it wrong.  And they will not be getting me back to buy anything unless they do mail order.

:(

Posted: 21 January 2011 03:49 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  196
Joined  2009-06-03
susanspain - 21 January 2011 03:38 PM

No, Ikea have got it wrong.  And they will not be getting me back to buy anything unless they do mail order.

Susan,
I sympathize, I really do.

But I can’t help feeling that this has nothing to do with Ikea, in that we as Humans seem to be carrying the condition susceptible to breakouts.  I really feel that slandering Ikea in this fashion doesn’t really do you any favors.

If the tunnel effect creates the concern for you, then tunnel-like-situations as you call it,  you avoid.
If you have vertigo you can hardly rise to the top floor of the CN Tower and then create & support a blog criticizing the Tower, would you ?

I love Ikea, it has so much to offer, and done in a way that flows through one area of the Home to it’s associated accessories.
I’ve spent many a time going around and around, throughly enjoyed it, all in all a nice day spent.

However, if it gave me the symptoms you speak of then of course, I would not visit the Shop.
But, in saying that, I, TBH would NOT bitch about a Shop for giving me a bad experience.

One that I’m pretty sure is not done intentionally.
All the best.
DSB.

Posted: 21 January 2011 03:59 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-01

Hi DSB,
I have never been accused of ‘Bitching’* about anything. (I am considered by all those who know me to be fair, honest and in general impartial).

I do however, take a strong stand against anyone/co, person, thing that is designed to give the user a bad experience.
(See my posts on the mechanic who sold me a duff car and Liberty Seguros who F***D up my insurance claim).

I guess in this particular case - You are a fan od The Ikea Experience, SJ is not….

(But I still think it makes interesting reading the second link I put on my original post that they are into brainwashing the shopper. But then again, I suppose you could say that of most commercial large organisations/outfits).

* You do qualify the remark with the comment that you don’t think that was my intention in this post….

Posted: 27 July 2011 10:15 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2008-03-05

Ikea in Malaga is a dream compared to Wembley and Edmonton,at least know one has been stabbed over a wardrobe in Malaga.