Hello
Posted: 26 April 2007 09:17 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2007-04-22

Moving to spain in the summer.really cannot wait! As we are moving permanently from the uk,we were wondering are there any members in the Alcala La Real areas.Our spanish is still poor. but we know it will have to improve! Obviously we have loads of queries and it would be helpful to talk to someone who has done this before and can rec.removal firms, electricians etc . Really looking forward to some replies.

Posted: 27 April 2007 02:10 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  235
Joined  2007-04-25

I do alot of work throughout Granada and the southern edge of Jaen provinces, involving internal rennovation of older properties and furnishing new properties. I may be of help should you require a help when you get here. I also work with a number of different qualified tradesmen, Spanish and English. I know two electricians who live less than 25 minutes away from where you’re going to live, one English, the other Spanish. If you need any contacts, drop me a line and we can get in contact.

We live not far from Granada airport, so we’re about 45 minutes to an hour away from Alcala la Real, depending which route you take. I usually head that way from the north of Granada city and Atarfe/Maracena via Pinos Puente and Puerto Lope.

As for removal companies, we used one of the franchises of Britannia. They were’nt the cheapest quote, but they were very good. My parents are moving over in a month or so and have found another company in Warrington, Cheshire where they currently live, who were very competitively priced.

As for learning the language, some of the locals will say “poco a poco” - little by little. I’ve been here for two years now and it’s worked well for me. Don’t be frightened to have a go, as you will find that the locals are more than happy to help you out. They usually laugh with you when you make mistakes, not at you. I’m fortunate enough to have had the opportunity to work with Spaniards, which has helped immensely. Yes, my grammar is not brilliant and my pronunciation needs work, but I get by fine and “poco a poco”, it will improve over time.

I’m sure you will love the area as there is so much to see and do.

Heath

Signature 

Visit our website - http://www.granadapropertyreform.com

“Dedicated to making your Spanish house a home”

Posted: 28 April 2007 02:23 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2007-04-22

Many thanks for that info. I will have a look at the removal firm ,after all you can`t beat personal reccommendation.Will keep your contact handy for when we eventually arrive if thats ok.Once again many thanks

Posted: 28 April 2007 02:18 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  235
Joined  2007-04-25

No problem Elaine. If you’ve any more questions about the area, just post a message or email me via clicking the member ID.

Signature 

Visit our website - http://www.granadapropertyreform.com

“Dedicated to making your Spanish house a home”

Posted: 10 August 2007 09:44 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2007-08-10

hi Elaine just wondering how u r getting on, i own a property over there and im currently saving up to renovate before hopefully moving over, so we r interested on how u r getting on and settling in?
Andy