< 1 2 3
3 of 3
The Real Spanish Police.
Posted: 14 July 2007 05:48 PM   [ # 31 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2007-07-14

Over the last three years in Spain I’ve been stopped on four occasions by the police. On one of these occasions I was ‘breathalised’.On another occasion I was warned for doing a U-turn over a continuous white line.Finally on one of these occasions when there was about six officers who looked as if they were going to give my vehicle and me a thorough check I asked if they would ‘let me go’ as I wanted to get to Valencia in a hurry to see the Popes visit….they agreed(with a smile) to this request. All of my experiences with the police have left me feeling positive about them and the job they have to do in dealing with tourists like me…and I don’t put the experience down to being lucky. I think in the vast majority of cases this is the norm and I can quote instance upon instance where friends of mine have had similar experiences….although this is 100% driving matters. An apology when a mistake has been made goes a long way in preventing an issue escalating. All of my neighbours are Spanish and I am now retired. I have lived in six homes in the UK but I have never experienced the warmth and kindness of neighbours as here in Spain.

Living here, in Spain has it’s problems but the benefits far outweigh them.

Posted: 16 July 2007 11:25 AM   [ # 32 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2007-05-01

If you are driving around in a car with foreign registration plates you will be treated differently, I know from experience in years gone by, with people I know etc. When you have a Spanish registered car you are fair game. Also I have never had a problem with the attitude towards me by the Guardia Civil in Spain they act (mostly) courtiously in all the situations I have had to endure in Spain over the last 20 years, a far cry from Franco’s days when they’d drag you from your bed and kick your head in as many Spaniards have told me. The National Police could learn something along the lines of people skills as they wade in and maim or kill before finding out what the situation is all about!

My only dealings with the Franco style Guardia Civil was back in the late 1970s a year or so after his death, a time when his police force were still set in their ways. I happened to be sitting on a beach with my girl friend of the time (I was about 18 years old then) at approx’ midnight the next thing I knew was 2 officers asking me what I was doing (nothing but sitting there for the record), they had their guns drawn at the time but left without incident.

Regarding an apology to todays police yes in most cases it has the right effect, but not in all cases. You were very lucky to get away with crossing a solid white line with a warning. Spain has changed since the loss of the European cash cow funding they enjoyed for a decade and a half. Now they have to fund everything themselves (well most of it anyway). This inevitably leads to the easy targets i.e the motorist.

Funnily enough I’ve never been breathalised in 31 years of driving, never had a speeding ticket and in general obey the rules of the road. My only driving troubles have been such things as piece of copper tube overhanging the rear of my trailer, within the limit but the red rag I’d had tied to the end had fallen of. Such incidents as those mostly. My son got a ?500 fine for not having his driving licence on him one day, so that’s a warning to you all.

I have to agree that in my time in the UK, where I lived in 7 different houses, I too would admit the Spanish are more friendier people by far, most of them. One of my best Spanish friends is actually a local policeman, I also know the “Boss” of the local Guardia Civil whom lives 1/2 a kilometre from me, he is in fact a nice man. Which begs the question why are they such different people when on duty, it’s like the drivers syndrome.. a different person behind the wheel of a car.

My first ever day in Spain 20 ish years ago was one to remember, my Spanish consited of 2 words, “Fiesta and Siesta” and yet my Spanish neighbour had us around to his house, plyed us with wine all night, and a meal and we left with arms full of vegetables and fruit from his garden, never had that in the UK ever. He even took us to the best place when we wanted to buy our orange trees, told us which were the best varieties, his driving skills were a lot to be desired and we were lucky to survive the trip.

Posted: 16 July 2007 01:28 PM   [ # 33 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2007-07-14

I do think it’s such a great pity that you had the very bad experience that you have described with the police. You have obviously far more experiences of the very positive welcome and enduring relationship that the spanish people can give.

I arrived in Spain over three years ago and all my neighbours are Spanish. They have been patient with us beyond measure as we have had to learn(from scratch) their lanquage and also their customs. But just to indicate a measure of their warmth. My wife was unable to join me for six months when we first came to Spain. She visited once month and (being a woman) was quicker and more able with the spanish lanquage(I could say it’s because they do a lot more talking….but that’s not the sort of thing I would say). Anyway when she did move over…the neighbours arranged an impromptu street party…..What a welcome!!! There was a funny incident. I had too much to drink and so tried in my feeble spanish to say a big thankyou etc etc. This went down well and I got all the hugs and kisses(and that was the men!) One neighbour, Paco, who had become my drinking partner said to me that what I had said was very nice however it was also the tradition in Spain when doing such speeches to end it with a certain phrase and this he went about teaching me. Well, I’m sure you will have got the picture of the two of us by now. I again took to my feet and said I had a little more to say and repeated what I had learned from Paco. This time the reaction I received was somewhat muted and a little bemused apart from Paco who thought I’d done really well. A few days later I repeated the phrase to my femail Spanish teacher and asked her what I had said. She explained that yes she understood that this phrase was common but really it was ony used in the company of men and usually in bars. The phrase, ‘greetings to you all and long may the men retain a good erection!’
Paco still continues to use me for ‘his jokes’ but he is a good mate…..and now and again I get my own back!

Up until very recently having been on the roads driving for around 40 years I had never had a single traffic conviction. I don’t speed and I certainly don’t drink and drive. On a recent visit to the UK however this changed when I received a fixed penalty notice of ?100! My offence?...Driving in a bus lane!!!! The offence occurred on the night of our arrival in the UK, in the dark, in the rain and in a strange town. There was a telephone number to ring…..so I called so that I might explain but guess what? I got the automated voice that’s sole interest was in getting my money. I’m glad to be in Spain!

Posted: 26 July 2007 05:18 PM   [ # 34 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2007-07-26

Hello to all expats in terrible Spain!
Ill start my story by telling you all that Im a family man with five children. We came to Spain five years ago, with the hope of having a better life for us and our kids. How wrong can you be. We as brits are sold a dream that spain is a LOVING CARING COUNTRY what a load of crap thats is.
When we arrived we desided to rent instead of putting all our cash into the pocket of some racist spaniard!
The reason I knew they are expat haters is because believe it or not Im half Spanish. I speak better spanish than they do, as we are in Andalucia.  Every time we went to see a property for sale they would chat to each other not knowing I understand every word they are saying. I have had these people put the asking price up by more than 30% in front of my face, just because we are expats. On the rare occasion we actually found a property we could afford we were always asked for black money so you end up paying the LARGE tax bill if you ever get to sell the property in the future.
This is where all our truoble started. We desided to rent a town house in Fuengirola/Mijas costa it looked very nice and it was full of local people not just expats or other foreigners. We thought great, got the kids into the local school and I started to look for work. What a Joke, we pay around one thousand euros a month in rent plus electricity and water and our large family food bill and other costs of living, this all comes to around 2500 euro a month. There is no job here in Andalucia which you can legally do that will earn you this amount of money.
Think about that for a while, what kind of an economy is run like this, a corrupt one thats it, the spaniards I know here all deal in drugs or do something dodgy to keep their heads above water. We expats come out here and try and do as you would back in the UK, law abiddng citizern.
The only possible out come to this is destitution. You will eventually spend all your money and will go home with your tail between your legs.
Now, my experience of the local spaniards, they hate us with a passion. From the first day we arrived we were abused and insulted.
My children were subjected to racist remarks and on one occasion my 9 year old was being picked on by the local bully who himself is 13 and quite a size in comparison. I thought enough is enough and went out to this big man and told him if he ever touched one of my kids again I would make him regret it. Well, the whole CATETO! community came out in his defence including the local guardia civil. This kid is the local gangstar, does what he wants when he wants, and from what I can see he is loved by all for it (local race relations officer) this kid beats his own mother and grand mother up and he is an angel! in their eyes, just because
he is one of them.
He has also scratched my car on several occasions and attacked my cat. If this kid was in England or in any decent country he would be in prison not roaming around like he owns the place.
The local police are just as bad I have had fines for having my fog lights on in a dark street, 150 euro fine I paid up immediately I was then sent a summons and had no choice but to pay again or else. Ihave had my car removed from parking spaces where other cars were also parked but obviously did not belong to expats. When I went to recover my car I found out that foreigners pay double 200 euro.
I also find that when a police officer talks to you he has this talk down to you attitude which Im sure is only used to provoke a response from us so they can beat your skull in legally.
I dont rise to this at all and always say SI SENOR! NO SENOR TRES BOLSAS FULL SENOR!
They just want to make you feel smaller than them, (Napoleon syndrome) I think.
With all this hatred my real concern is my childrens future or the lack of it. I have heard so many stories about English teens going for jobs and being told to their face that they have no chance of being accepted because they are looking for CATETO nationals only, can you imagine this happening in the UK?
I think we should all just leave this hell hole and let them rot in it them selves. After all this place was nothing until we brought all our cash here. The system they have now is thanks to foreign money and this is what probably eats them alive every night.
Im one of the lucky ones in the sense that I never bought a property here so I still have most of the money I came with.
I feel a lot for the expats that did and now are stuck here with no hope for them and their families.
To summarise never trust anyone here ever especially estate agents they are all scum and after your money.
There is no dream life here at all and the more I look for people in my situation the more I find, just like this thread.
I could really go on and on with negatives, Hospitals and local authorities but I would die of starvation if I did.
I hope all you nice expats get to sort your problems out and find a good life in another country or like me back to the UK.

By the way CH5 NEWS is asking for stories from expats having problems in Spain check it out on their web page.

Posted: 26 July 2007 07:14 PM   [ # 35 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2007-07-14

Well I think your opening comments say it all,‘When we arrived we desided to rent instead of putting all our cash into the pocket of some racist spaniard! You then take it upon yourself to sort out a situation of ‘child bullying’, by threatening a thirteen year old child. Had you been in the UK and an illegal immigrant had threatened your child what would be your reaction and that of your neighbours? I think before you start attacking the racist attitudes of the spanish you should take a closer look at your own attitudes and behaviour. I am British and have made good friends with my spanish neighbours and so have many more of the British who live around this area. Only today did I hear once again a ‘british tradesman’ saying he has been here for three years and wouldn’t consider going back. He had only wanted to work part-time in Spain but was being ‘overwhelmed’ by the amount of work he had on his books. I would love a ‘documentary maker’ to follow me for week living an ordinary life in Spain. It isn’t ‘a dream’ but it is a life in the mediteranean sun with the warmth of the spanish people. Last Monday my spanish neighbour popped in and brought two large ‘spanish cakes’ she had baked. Last night her husband saw that I was struggling with lifting a large compressor. He ‘took over’ as usual! but also as usual gave willingly his help when it was needed and without being asked. Would that happen in the UK? What do I give them in return?  RESPECT!

Posted: 27 July 2007 05:55 AM   [ # 36 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-07-26

Like I said in my story I am Half Spanish, my mother was one of 16 brothers and sisters from Madrid, I have many uncles and aunts and cousins here I love them all and they are all very nice people just like many others in Spain. I am not a racist and never have been. I tell it as it is here, my experience not yours or anyone elses.
I came out here with the correct attitude but have been shown that many Spanish people are very very racist, especially towards anyone they think is English which Im not, my father was Italian. Just because I speak like a brit they give me racist remarks.
Only yesterday I was told by a idiot on a bike to (go home you english) Just for double parking like three other cars with spaniards at the steering wheel. Funny how he picked on me and not the other cars.
I think if youve landed in a street that has nice people living in it then lucky you. I also know two families that live in this urb that are very nice people indeed but they happen to be from Barcelona not Andalucia.
Im not saying there are no nice people in Andalucia, there probably are but, I havent seen or met them yet!
My sister has lived here for 25 years and has no real spanish friends my own family have houses here too and they say the same.
They are made to feel unwanted when they come down here on their holidays.
So, just because you have had a great time does not mean that all will experience the same. As far as me being an illegal immigrant, I dont know what you are on about.
I have never been abused in the UK in this manner, nor have my family ever.
And before you suggest that Im a child beater maybe you should read what I wrote correctly because I said the guardia civil was called and they didnt think I did anything wrong. I was just protecting my son I never hit kids, not my own or anyone elses.
This does not mean I will just sit there and allow any little creep to do it either.
I assume you are not a parent from your attitude.
Not an estate agent by any chance, are you? that would explain your attitude to me. Probably worried about losing some more money in this stagnant market, that from what I see will not recover for a long time.
I didnt buy a property here because im not a bloody idiot with money to throw away.
Its taken me five years to realise this so it is a educated opinion and had I felt like this originally I would have never come here, would I?

Posted: 27 July 2007 12:39 PM   [ # 37 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2007-07-14

There is little to gain from this continuing.
I spent last night trying to help my spanish neighbour who has a problem with his pool(it’s gone green!). We then settled down with his family and spent a pleasant evening discussing amongst other things corruption in Spain and the ‘issue of Gibralter’. We don’t always agree but we do respect each others point of view.

For the record I am not an estate agent nor have any interest in selling property. I worked as a Civil Servant in the UK and have been retired for seven years. I am one of the many British people who the Spanish have ‘adopted’ into their lives. However, there are other ‘British people’ that the Spanish would have little to do with and from my experience I can’t say I blame them.

Posted: 27 July 2007 01:39 PM   [ # 38 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-07-26

Ill say one last thing in my support, I watch spanish TV not Just sky like most brits. Last year I saw a program on TVE 1 about how racist the whole of Spain is. This was a Spanish program. It was called “Espana somos racistas” If you can read Spanish Google it.
The program said it as it is, their conclusion not anyone elses at the end of this hour long program they said ” Si, somos racistas, primero odiamos a los gitanos y despues a todos los extranjeros.
This means, “We are a racist, first we hate the gitanos and then all foreigners.
Now, can you imagine that happening in the UK, I dont think so.

Im glad for you that as a retired man you have found a nice place with nice people in it, but that is not the case for tens of thousands of brits here today.

Did you read the papers last year with all that football RACISM towards the black players. Bloody sick thats what I call that.
Wouldnt happen in the UK a Manager of the national football team with this FASCIST attitude. I some times wonder if Franco is still alive.

Posted: 27 July 2007 03:49 PM   [ # 39 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  74
Joined  2007-01-25

Slewer, I am curious to know why, if you ‘speak better Spanish than they do’ you choose to ‘speak like a brit’ in Spain of all places?  Surely if you were to speak Spanish to the Spaniards as well as you say you do, they wouldn’t know you were not Spanish.

I strongly suspect that it is your attitude that gets you such a bad reaction, as is apparent from other posters in this topic who have had similar experiences to yours.

I don’t speak Spanish very well, but I am making an effort to learn, as none of the locals here speak English - but the dealings I have had with them are very positive.  I apologise if I don’t understand what they say to me, or ask them to speak more slowly or say it a different way, but I have found everyone, including the local Police, to be patient, helpful and friendly.

Everybody I pass in the street smiles and says hello, children are polite and well-mannered, and as long as I am friendly, polite, and respect their customs and laws, I’m sure they couldn’t give a monkey’s where I come from.

My two young daughters get on very well with the local children, and are learning a few bits of Spanish in exchange for teaching a bit of English, and it is a pleasure to watch them all playing happily together.  Children can be very cruel and spiteful at times, and are often more sensitive than adults, but neither they or I have ever heard anything resembling a racist comment.  In fact, the Spanish children are rather amused that my two don’t know the meaning of certain words, and go to great lengths to explain - much to everyone else’s amusement.

There are only about 20 other Brits in a town of 42,000 - I have spoken to a few of them, and they have all had very positive experiences in their interaction with the locals, but they, and other Brits I know in the region, tell tales of bloody-minded ex-pats who refuse to learn Spanish, fly Union Jacks from their 3 metre Satellite Dishes, drive like they own the road, thump tables and demand instant service in restaurants, etc. I’m sure you know the type.

The locals don’t like them either - but it’s nothing to do with race, the rest of the Brits hate them too.

Signature 

http://www.cavehomes.com
Amazing Andalucian Properties

Posted: 27 July 2007 07:24 PM   [ # 40 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-07-26

Where do I say I dont speak Spanish to the Spaniards?
I speak perfect castellano which as far as I know and my family, is the correct way to speak Spanish not the half hearted Andalu! style which by the way is what they teach the children in the schools. I know for a FACT that people living in Madrid hate the way they speak and teach their spoken language.
Spanish is a beautifull language, when spoken correctly. I have had people here comment on my very well spoken accent.
As far as I see it Andalu is like cockney and no one in England as far as I know can take their English exams in cockney.
I have a house in the north of Italy and they have their own dialect but, in the school they are educated in correct roman Italian.

If what I am telling you all is so wrong then why is the internet full of people in the same situation as my family and I?
I know a lot of brits that arrive here and settle into totally English urbs and love it. Great for them If I wanted to settle with brits l would stay in the UK…... wouldnt I?
I tried to live amongst the locals and it has not worked. This has nothing to do with my attitude or my families.

The first day we moved in to this house the next door neighbour started letting her dog come into my garden to shit every morning. When I told the presidente, it stopped but now I have a dog pissing on my car every day instead.

So you guys can try to blame me for it all but that just is not true. They are the ones abusing and insulting, not me.
I am going back to the UK very soon and frankly cant wait.
Im not the only one either, I know at least 3 other families who after being here for a couple of years have had enough and gone HOME. The others are stuck here with badly built houses that they cant sell.
I really feel for these people and they should be helped by the English government but, sadly this will probably never happen.

Like I said there are good and bad all over the world you guys have been lucky but the rest of us havent, thats no reason to look for malice in what Im doing, it just is life period.

I feel very strongly about letting people know that its not as rosy as some like to make out especially estate agents.
Sometimes people need to hear the truth from experience and alternative points of view in order to make a balanced decision.

Posted: 28 July 2007 01:42 AM   [ # 41 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  74
Joined  2007-01-25

Sorry, I didn’t realise that even the dogs are taking it out on you - in that case, I will sell-up and leave Spain tomorrow, and I would strongly advise the other 4.8 million foreign residents to do the same.

Signature 

http://www.cavehomes.com
Amazing Andalucian Properties

Posted: 28 July 2007 03:46 AM   [ # 42 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-07-26

The DOG you idiot, the owner you stupid fool!
You estate agent are all the same, bloody money grabbing scum, you are the reason this place is so messed up PRAT!

Posted: 28 July 2007 04:54 AM   [ # 43 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

This topic has been locked. Feel free to carry on the conversation about the corruption of Spain and the Spanish police at the new thread about the subject.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

< 1 2 3
3 of 3