Healthcare in Spain
Posted: 17 April 2011 01:00 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-04-16

Hi, I am new to this website and have a question about healthcare?

Myself and my husband are thinking about moving to Spain but we have 2 young boys so I wanted to know if we would be entitle to free healthcare like the Nhs and how good it is or if we would need private healthcare? Also would we need to register with a doctors like you do in the uk?

Thanks

Posted: 18 April 2011 05:24 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

It’s a pretty darn good system. Second in the world in cost effectiveness after Japan. Check out our article on healthcare in Spain for more info.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 18 April 2011 07:24 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

Suggest you also research here and probably other issues on the same site

http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-spain/pensions-benefits/healthcare/

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/

Posted: 19 April 2011 04:15 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

Alright, I’ll bite: Rob - what info are we lacking from that article about healthcare?

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 19 April 2011 04:05 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

No biting required! Its just that it is a huge complicated topic and one that usually confuses the Brits and has caused a lot of upset when Valencia withdrew free cover for all. The issue of EHICs is also part of the topic again which causes confusion and has recently changed. BTW The E106/121 have been replaced now by new forms.

Signature 

Rob

Posted: 19 April 2011 08:03 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

Cool. Got a link for the new forms?

I’m aware of the Valencia issue but that’s just one part of the greater Espa?a… 😊

Signature 

Posted: 19 April 2011 11:37 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-04-16

Thank you, both websites are very helpful!

Posted: 20 April 2011 07:01 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

Yep totally agree there is much more to Spain than Valencia region but I was just using that as an example of how big this topic can be given different regional variations and of course differing entitlements of nationalities settling here.

The forms are not download DIY jobs but what is issued to you depending upon circumstances. More here

http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-spain/pensions-benefits/healthcare/e106/

Signature 

Rob

Posted: 21 April 2011 08:56 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2010-10-28

Having used the Spanish health care system for 25 years I can assure you that is is good. Nursing is often down to the family, that is, you have nurses to provide the care, but family are accepted with the patient as they take care of well being, watch the drips etc.
Some hospitals have two patients to a room, the Dr’s are very good, many speak English if it is a need. Ambulance service is provided in Valencia Community returning and collecting patients but expect some cut backs after regional elections. GP’s about the same as in the UK, you just may land on a bad one. I have seen a fantastic improvement over 25 years, lots of new hospitals and health centers, better qualified staff and improved equipment. Just make sure you are registered correctly as shown in the sites given and enjoy your time here.

Posted: 29 June 2011 10:14 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

Yes after years of feeling neglected by the Uk Gov they have now got their act together and their site is very informative and we also have DWP staff based in Spanish consuls to provide local support and assistance plus the occassional roadshow to keep us up todate. There was nothing like that when I arrived in Spain.

Signature 

Rob

Posted: 24 October 2011 05:53 AM   [ # 10 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2011-10-24

If they are not of retirement age yet they will need to contribute to the social security system in Spain to be entitled to the healthcare. When they left the UK they could have got form E106 which they can present to the local social security offices to register - this form entitles them to non contributory national health cover for 2 years in Spain, based on their UK contributions. Once registered at Social Security they can then register at a doctors and they will also receive a health card.  If they contact the department for social security in UK they should be able to request this form.  Likewise when they are at retirement age they will need another form, E121.