British Telvision in Spain
Posted: 13 August 2006 03:56 PM  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2006-07-30

Hello All

I am going to post comments and replies relating to English Language Television Services in Spain. This may relate to SKY or other satellite TV services.

In the time I have been here on the Costa Blanca, Spain. Installing satellite systems. I have noticed there is a lot of information milling around and some of it is not very clear of even correct.

This has made the situation regarding English Language Television somewhat confusing.

In short anything to do with English TV in Spain; really does depend upon where you live geographically & what you are trying to receive.

The first thing that expats say to me, is ? I only want the FREE channels? of course these are the most difficult to get; in certain parts of Spain.

Where I live & work, Costa Blanca receiving the SKY signal is one of the most difficult areas in Spain.

We at UK Television are happy & willing to give what advice & guidance that we can. You can email us, or send a form submission from our website http://www.uktvinspain.com

Regards the UK Television team

Signature 

Roger

http://www.uktelevision.info

Posted: 13 August 2006 04:24 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2006-07-30

In Reply to Mirador post 22 May 06:

It is not Illegal to bring a SKY receiver from UK to Spain or to purchase on in Spain. If you have a contract with SKY you will be braking your contract with them; once you move out of the UK.

I don?t know what system you were provided with. In general terms, 1 dish = 1 Satellite in Space. To obtain SKY programmes from Astra 2D you need a SKY receiver.

To obtain any other programmes from any other satellite (from Europe) you need a European Free To Air decoder. Which you can purchase off the shelf across Europe.

I don?t know what is meant by ?illegal? system. In my experience, many clients are told in advance what they are getting into. Either they do not understand; but indicate that they do. Or they simply say Yes, when actually they mean No!

Once things start going wrong, the misunderstanding comes out.

That is not to say that there are not a lot of people out there, who don?t explain fully what the restrictions of any system are.

We at UK Television are happy & willing to give what advice & guidance that we can. You can email us, or send a form submission from our website.

Because most of the British Channels are NOW broadcast FREE to VEIW you can use an ordinary European Free Veiw Digital Receiver to watch most of the Free Channals broadcast by SKY. It takes a little more setting up, but then it takes setting up in this part of Spain any way.

Signature 

Roger

Posted: 13 August 2006 04:28 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2006-07-30

In Reply to Jillyj post 18 May 06:

Yes you can bring any TV from UK to Spain and it will work.

Well not quite as simple as that. You will receive a picture no problem, the difference is with the Sound chip. In Spain you receive the sound on a different frequency than you do in UK; or other European Countries.

So if you plug the Spanish Terrestrial Arial into the back of your TV; you will get the picture but NO sound. The Spanish television systems is as we speak going digital.

If you have a Digital Receive of any kind, you will receive your sound through the digibox, and so not through your TV set; and you will get Sound.

We at UK Television are happy & willing to give what advice & guidance that we can. You can email us, or send a form submission from our website.

Signature 

Roger

Posted: 13 August 2006 04:32 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2006-07-30

In Reply to Alexei post 26 April 06:

No you can not use a SKY card in another box. If you have a SKY pay veiwing card, the card will be locked to the receiver that you have told SKY that you have. If you take the card out and use it in anther receiver you will ONLY be able to veiw the FREE Veiw channels.

You can only receive SKY channels using a SKY box, with or without a card.

To receive the SKY Free to Air channels you only need a card for a very few channels now.

You can use a SKY card in Spain in a SKY receiver.

Because most of the British Channels are NOW broadcast FREE to VEIW you can use an ordinary European Free Veiw Digital Receiver to watch most of the Free Channals broadcast by SKY. It takes a little more setting up, but then it takes setting up in this part of Spain any way.

Signature 

Roger

Posted: 13 August 2006 05:16 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2006-07-30

In Reply to Annietemp post 2 April 06:

If there is a dish on your roof, and lets assume it is working correctly. Fully functioning, correctly aligned and set up.

It will depend upon what LNB has been fitted to the dish. If it is a single LNB it will only have 1 feed therefore only 1 cable can be attached to it.

If this is the case you either have to put a suitable Splitter inline, and take your 2nd cable from this splitter.

Or you have to replace the LNB with a Twin feed LNB. Some LNB?s can have up to 8 feeds off. However in general I would not suggest trying to take more than 4 feeds off of one dish. This is done with a Quad LNB.

If you cut into the cable and put a splitter inline, you do not have to set up the LNB. However this can only reasonably be achieved if the dish is set up well and you have good Quality & Signal strength.

If you replace the LNB with a Twin then you have to set up; adjust the new LNB to get the best signal possible.

If you are reading this and you can?t follow what I am saying; then I would suggest that you need someone to come and do the job for you.

Also if you are going to do this job yourself, it is possible to do this with the TV & SKY digibox, to check your signal strength & quality.

However it is quite possible that you will need a meter to read the signal, this of course necessitates a professional installer.

I really hope this makes some sense to you out there!

We at UK Television are happy & willing to give what advice & guidance that we can. You can email us, or send a form submission from our website. http://www.uktvinspain.com

Signature 

Roger

Posted: 19 August 2006 07:21 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2006-08-19

I am selling a Sky digital freeview system currently working in M?laga (Spain) by change of residence. The set is composed by the original sky box with the freeview card and the satellite dish needed to receive the sky signal in M?laga. Spain. Price: 350 Euros. Telephone: 652645353 (Spain cell number)