New here; question on Spanish residency
Posted: 02 June 2011 12:41 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-06-01

Hello all,

I am new to the forum. I realize that my question has been asked before. This is my situation:

My grandfather was born in the Philippines to Spanish parents and he carried a Spanish passport. My question is: am I eligible for citizenship or an EU passport based on sanguinity? The Spanish embassy in San Francisco, CA has published this directive -

GRANDCHILDREN OF SPANISH NATIONALS (art. 22.2. f) C.C.).- Those persons with a grandmother or grandfather who was originally Spanish may apply for Spanish nationality by means of one year?s legal residence in Spain. This procedure must be initiated by the Head of the Registry Office in the Spanish place of residence, and is resolved by the Ministry of Justice.

What does one year’s legal residence in Spain mean? Can the process be handled prior to travel to Spain?

I would appreciate some information regarding this.

Muchas gracias,

j.e.

Posted: 02 June 2011 05:13 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2011-06-01

Try to speak with the Spanish Consulate in your country.

Where are you living nowadays? Your grandparents left Spain because of the war?

Waiting for your answer to help you 😊

Signature 

Posted: 02 June 2011 10:11 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-06-01

I live in Seattle, WA in the US. My grandfather came to the Philippines in the late 1900’s - I don’t think it was due to a war. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Posted: 02 June 2011 04:25 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2011-06-01

You need to have your grandfather’s birth certificate. Do you know his place and year of birth?

I think that if he didn’t move because of the War, you have to be residing in Spain for a year before having the nationality. We’d need to check it.

If you are in trouble about searching the birth certificate, contact with us and maybe we could help you. We are in Spain.

Best wishes!

Signature 

Posted: 12 June 2011 10:16 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2011-06-12

POST deleted by Jurdy
Reason: Please read the rules. No advertising in the forums,