Working in San Cibrao, Lugo, Galicia
Posted: 03 July 2011 04:03 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2010-11-17

Hi all

I’m looking for some information really. I’m a mature student in the UK, studying, amongst other things, Spanish. For my year abroad I have been very lucky to get a post as a language assistant at a school in San Cibrao, near Cervo, Galicia.

I love Galicia but have only spent time in and around Vigo and Santiago and have never been to the ‘north’ of Galicia. There doesn’t seem to be too much information about the area other than the (bad) weather!!

I come from quite a sleepy place now so I have no worries about it being quite rural and far from any main towns but I will need to secure accommodation (from September) for me and my 16 yr old daughter who would prefer to be somewhere with a bit of life

I realise improving my limited Spanish will be a challenge but am hoping with working in a school and immersing oneself in the culture, things will start to make sense after a while…If anyone can post any information about San Cibrao, Cervo or the surrounding area and if we would be able to integrate into the community fairly easily then I’d be very grateful. Suggestions on the best area to live and availability of rental property would also be welcomed.

Thanks in advance

Helen

Posted: 04 July 2011 09:46 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  101
Joined  2011-03-15

Hi, I couldn’t tell you much about Ciervo, but close by, if your daughter is looking for a bit of life, you could always try Burela, just along the coast. It’s a fishing villiage with good beaches etc, with something of a nightlife. You’ll hear alot of Gallego up there, not too different from castellano but you’ll need more of an ‘ear’ to eavesdrop conversations in the bars. Great beaches up on the north coast, good surfing up there, especially in Ribadeo.

One thing though…. and I don’t mean to be alarmist, it has been reported in the press here (La Voz de Galicia) that the Xunta de Galicia had been a bit slack in paying invited classroom assistants. I beleive that they all got paid, but payments were late - perhaps a couple of months. Make sure that you have bit to cover yourself. I’ll see if I can dig out the articles in the paper for you.

Posted: 05 July 2011 02:09 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2010-11-17
RiazorBlue - 04 July 2011 09:46 PM

Hi, I couldn’t tell you much about Ciervo, but close by, if your daughter is looking for a bit of life, you could always try Burela, just along the coast. It’s a fishing villiage with good beaches etc, with something of a nightlife. You’ll hear alot of Gallego up there, not too different from castellano but you’ll need more of an ‘ear’ to eavesdrop conversations in the bars. Great beaches up on the north coast, good surfing up there, especially in Ribadeo.

One thing though…. and I don’t mean to be alarmist, it has been reported in the press here (La Voz de Galicia) that the Xunta de Galicia had been a bit slack in paying invited classroom assistants. I beleive that they all got paid, but payments were late - perhaps a couple of months. Make sure that you have bit to cover yourself. I’ll see if I can dig out the articles in the paper for you.

Thanks for the reply. I have looked further afield than Cervo and I’m thinking Viveiro may offer a bit more for my daughter as it seems a much larger town.

I have a friend in Vigo who said they speak more Gallego in the north of the region. All the documents I have received for the assistant post are in Gallego! Luckily my friend will translate anything for me but I hope to learn firstly more Spanish, then once I’m grasping that, Gallego…it will be a challenge though, of that I’m in no doubt!

We have been told not to expect any wages until November at the earliest and then it can be a bit hit and miss about turning up each month on time! I will have some savings but I hope living costs will be a bit cheaper than if i was in a city. I should be able to manage but thanks for the heads up.