Expatshield.  Free UK ISP add?
Posted: 08 August 2011 09:09 PM  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

A friend put me onto this free software so I could watch BBCiplayer/other UK restricted sites.
Unfortunately, it mucked up my internet system and functions so I had to un-install asap! (Plus there were lots of pop up ads that one cannot opt out of/turn up security to stop them!)

Is it a case of a ‘free lunch is too good to be true?’

Has anyone any experience of this SW?

Have you got it to work/any tips on settings to avoid bombardment of ads/changing existing settings?

(I know there are UK ISP subscriptions out there are 5GBP pcm, but I only want to watch a download very occasionally)

Thanks to the teccies!

SJ

Posted: 08 August 2011 09:43 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  104
Joined  2008-07-07

Thats the problem with expatshield….like so much free software is relies on adverts for their income….
I am not too sure if you can remove the advertising…(i dont use it so cannot say..maybe you can “subscribe” tot he service for an “ad free” version.

If you want to download UK programmes “very occasionally” consider a p2p site like thebox.bz or uknova.

Signature 

The Sat And PC Guy
Sky TV in Spain. Costa Banca Satellite TV
Free Business Directory

Posted: 08 August 2011 09:47 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

Thanks ^  I will look into the alternatives you mention.

Shame it comes with so much junk, but as you say they rely on that for thier income :(

Posted: 10 October 2011 09:35 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2011-09-21
susanspain - 08 August 2011 09:09 PM

A friend put me onto this free software so I could watch BBCiplayer/other UK restricted sites.
Unfortunately, it mucked up my internet system and functions so I had to un-install asap! (Plus there were lots of pop up ads that one cannot opt out of/turn up security to stop them!)

Is it a case of a ‘free lunch is too good to be true?’

Has anyone any experience of this SW?

Have you got it to work/any tips on settings to avoid bombardment of ads/changing existing settings?

(I know there are UK ISP subscriptions out there are 5GBP pcm, but I only want to watch a download very occasionally)

Thanks to the teccies!

SJ

I had to remove expat shield entirely as it was full of bugs. best solution i have found so far is virtual private network - on average, it’s a bout 4 quid a month. i use Thread EDITED by JURDY
Reason: No advertising
, but there are others out there like britishtvworldwide.com and myprivatenetwork.net - all offer more or less the same package. it’s a buyer’s market.

Posted: 21 November 2011 02:03 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  196
Joined  2009-06-03

UK NOVA / THEBOX are terrific.
Theoretically the more users, seeding accordingly, the better for everyone.
Unless you are a leecher, then you will feel the force….

I could not function without the above Sites.
Also, you could try EZTV.
DSB.

Posted: 21 November 2011 02:29 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

Once you have sussed it out a bit Expat Shield is no problem - firstly don’t let it install all the extras at install time. Then I let it start then shut IE down, then restart with my normal home page, it is still running but that gets rid of it’s pages.

The pop ups stop when you go full screen. It just takes a bit of time to work out how best to run it. I also never plan to do anything else whilst it’s running ie surf and I always switch it off when I have finished.

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/

Posted: 07 December 2011 03:57 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

Tooway very slow i found now on 19.2 east fast and small dish ?24.99   per month
Both Spain and uk ip address
Download: 6144 kbps
Upload: 400 kbps
Data Allowance: 4GB
FreeZone: ?12.50/month
Topups: ?15/GB
Install or Professional from ?90 1-time Contract free ?50

company will do Irish UK and Spanish Contracts with Local Satellite Installtion ( Local Satellite Installtion .  2, 4, 6 or 12 GB daily rates )

for me get in touch
Jurdy

Posted: 07 December 2011 04:45 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

tooway is old a now out date , there price are hight then this company we used , cant work you psp3 on twoway , i am would be 2 - 3 sec behind on games and same on skpye , newer system we fine there only minsecs on it , dish size half of what 77cm antenna twoway have , dont need NIE for your contract just bank account

Posted: 20 February 2012 05:39 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2012-02-20
muddyleopard - 10 October 2011 09:35 PM

I had to remove expat shield entirely as it was full of bugs. best solution i have found so far is virtual private network - on average, it’s a bout 4 quid a month. i use Thread EDITED by JURDY
Reason: No advertising
, but there are others out there like britishtvworldwide.com and myprivatenetwork.net - all offer more or less the same package. it’s a buyer’s market.

I had a lot of problems with too, thanks a lot for the recommendations!  is working quite smoothly 😊

pm for more on this
Jurdy

Posted: 24 May 2012 12:08 AM   [ # 9 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

I have been using Expat shield for months and have not had any bugs. Suggest download latest version from reputable source.

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/

Posted: 27 September 2013 11:23 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-09-27

I noticed that the Expat Shield are now charging to watch the BBC through it, bit cheeky seeing as they put ads on there too. I’m connected to Laptop Telly now, all the UK channels seem to work fine and without the buffering now. download is http://www.laptoptelly.com

Posted: 23 December 2013 08:43 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2012-02-20
barneyrumbles123 - 27 September 2013 11:23 PM

I noticed that the Expat Shield are now charging to watch the BBC through it, bit cheeky seeing as they put ads on there too. I’m connected to Laptop Telly now, all the UK channels seem to work fine and without the buffering now. download is http://www.laptoptelly.com

That’s more expensive that muddy’s recommendation (uktvaccess) and mods let this promotion stand?