Citizenship by descent from Spanish grandmother
Posted: 21 November 2014 04:19 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2014-11-18

I know this is just one of many posts relating to this topic, but since every situation is a bit different, I’m going to post anyway to see if anyone has any information to offer me-

My grandmother is Spanish by origin - she was born outside of Spain to a Spanish father, and she has all of the documentation to prove this. She is currently almost finished with jumping through the bureaucratic hoops required for her to get a passport/DNI at the Spanish Consulate. Thus, I have two questions -

1. Is my father eligible to opt for Spanish citizenship without a one-year residence requirement, even though he is not still a minor?
2. If the answer is yes, if I am still under 20 (the age that Spanish law prescribes as the deadline for acquiring nationality in this way) would I theoretically be eligible to apply once my father does? Or am I required to reside in Spain for one year prior to me being able to do this?

My grandmother asked the Consulate, but was not really able to get a clear answer from them. Might it be worth it for me and my father to drive to Miami and give it a go once she has a passport/Spanish birth certificate in hand to prove her status as Spanish by origin? The clock is ticking, and I’ll be 20 in 6 months, so if this is possible, I’d rather not waste any time.

If the answer is that it is not possible - I half expected it. If anyone has info on the best route to obtaining a visa to fulfil the one-year residence requirement, I’d love it if you shared!