Spanish visa for a non-EU spouse
Posted: 22 February 2015 10:59 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2015-02-20

Hi all,

I’m British and married to a Chilean, and we currently live in Chile. We are thinking about moving to Spain, and have been researching the possibility. I’ve read as much as I can on the internet, but I have some unanswered questions. If anyone could help, I’d be really grateful!! Here are my questions:

1.) Does my husband need to apply for a visa first in Chile, then for a EU-family member residence card in Spain? And if so, what type of visa?

2.) Do I need to be living in Spain before he can apply for his visa?

3.) Is there a guide to what constitutes as enough financial resources to support myself as an EU citizen in order to apply for my residency? As it may take some time to find a job.

4.) We got married in Chile 3.5 years ago, so our marriage certificate is issued from Chile, not an EU country… is there some way of legalizing it so it is accepted? I’ve read that a marriage abroad can’t be registered in the UK. Would we need to get married again in an EU country?

5.) My husband was refused a visa for the UK 2 years ago, will this be a problem?

Any help or advice will be hugely appreciated!
Many thanks

Posted: 13 March 2015 06:52 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2015-02-20

Can anyone help ? Please!!!!  😖

Posted: 26 July 2015 01:50 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2015-07-26

Hi. Did you get any answer for this at all anywhere? I am in a similar situation - Brit citizen married to an Ecuadorian and wanting to look at moving to Europe - Spain or Italy. He has Spanish and Italian ancestors so we are looking into that possibility. I saw briefly somewhere that Spain have a Historical Law that is more gentle on people from South America due to the conquistadors - http://nomadcapitalist.com/2013/05/19/top-5-second-citizenship-by-descent/ - it is not an official site but its a start. Also check this out - http://www.dualcitizenship.com/free-consultation/spain.html - they may be able to enlighten you even with only 15 minutes. I am going to get my husband to call them to see.

I am looking into this myself as we are trying to get him to Europe (UK) and looking at Spain or Italy longer term maybe.

Let me know if you found out anything and I will let you know what I find out if you are still looking

Best of luck!
Caroline