Moving to Barcelona area from Canada
Posted: 04 May 2016 08:28 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2016-05-04

Hi there
Just looking for info on any of the following:

We’re moving from Canada this summer., I’m a EU passport holder but first time living in Europe. We only speak English. We plan to learn Catalan once we arrive.

1. Is it worth shipping personal items like bedding, dishes or computers?
2. My son is 12 and playes soccer, I’d like to enroll him in a semi private school. I’m looking at sant cugat or caselldefels, any recommendations?
3. Does it make sense to go to Spain for a week (during May or June) in advance to moving (July or August) to open a bank account, rent a flat, apply for school enrolment and a residence card?
Can that even be done in a week?

Any info would be great!
Cheers
M

Posted: 04 May 2016 10:14 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Having just moved recently, I’d say it’s almost certainly not worth shipping those items unless they are particularly valuable and you plan to spent many years in BCN. It’s just too expensive and high risk. I would, however, take your laptop or smaller computers. I’d throw everything else into storage.

How are you looking for movers? Mine were horrible. :( Make sure you get them to provide a detailed breakdown of the insurance coverage for your goods and how much it’s going to cost and/or if it’s included.

Sant Cugat is nice. I found Casteldefels to be a bit boring. You should definitely check out the neighborhoods when you go to scout ahead of time.

Yes, most of that stuff can be done in a week, or at least started and finished when you get back. Find the flat first, open the bank account (in that order, I think, though it’s been a while), then register with the local council (empadronamiento), apply for school, then residence.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 04 May 2016 10:47 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2016-05-04

Thanks for this great advice!
Do you know of any good schools in sant cugat?