1 2 3 >  Last ›
1 of 6
Wireless Internet For a Rural Community
Posted: 08 September 2006 04:17 AM  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Use this forum topic for asking Kevin any questions you might have about how to setup the wireless Internet connection to your rural property in Spain.

Completely read Wireless Internet for a Rural Community and Spain Internet: ADSL, Cable and Wireless before posting here! Your question may have already been answered!

Thanks again to Kevin for his article and we hope you all get something out of it.

~The Editor

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 09 October 2006 05:16 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Hey Techman,

That’s interesting. I’ve been keeping an eye on WiMAX for a while now and it definitely shows a lot of promise. We’ll see if Intel can get the distribution of the chip up to the level of wifi though…

Onspeed indeed looks interesting. Do you know if it’s useful for wifi relayed connections? I’ve set one of those up but it suffered from a lot of lag. How does the onspeed work exactly?

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 20 November 2006 06:19 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2006-11-20

WiMax Broadband is working well in the Costa Blanca. It does not need a landline and more importantly does not need Telefonica. It costs 35 ? per month and normally achieves between 1.5 Mb/s and 2.5 Mb/s. WiMax can be used in most areas of Spain, even the most remote areas as the theoretical range is around 70km. We have antennas covering the Costa Blanca and other areas of Spain.

Once you have broadband, you can also use VoIP telephones and enjoy free and cheap international calls.

Signature 

WiMax Broadband in Spain through http://www.broadbandspain.com

Posted: 20 January 2007 04:51 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2006-11-20

We do not provide broadband in Marbella at the moment. In order to justify the costs of setting up a new access point, we would realistically require 35 clients within a 20km radius. If we receive a sufficient number of enquiries in that area, we shall contact you. Let us know if you have neighbours that would be interested and it would help your cause.

Regards

Broadband Spain

Signature 

WiMax Broadband in Spain through http://www.broadbandspain.com

Posted: 02 February 2007 11:31 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-02-02

Conecta4 also supply Rural with wireless and telephone

I live in the Campo and have been a customer of there#s for almost 3yrs, and find them to be very proffesional.

Thankyou

Posted: 10 March 2007 04:55 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2007-03-10

[size=5]We had tried for weeks to find a wifi type connection. After contacting all the people advertising in the “Sur in English” the “Friday-Ad” and other misleading adverts, we had begun to think that we would be left with no other option than to go for the painful option of Telephonica !!

Thats when we found something that sounded to good to be true. Someone on our Urbanisation had found a company .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address). They have a range of antennas that they use to pick up wifi signals in your area. we rang 651426798 on a Saturday and by Monday lunchtime I had my internet connection (coming from a free provider, no catches) and have not looked back since.
So what with free internet and free phone calls to 44 countries, including The UK, USA and Canada, provided by VIP through VOIP, we are both well impressed, not to mention happy with the incredible savings.

Jim&Tash;

Posted: 19 April 2007 02:39 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  74
Joined  2007-01-25

I recently had IberBanda installed in my cave, which uses WiMax technology to provide a telephone line and an Internet connection from a wireless link.

The equipment consists of a small square aerial, which needs a line-of-sight to a nearby transmitter.  This is connected to a small oblong box (IDU) inside the cave, which connects to the mains and links to another small box which provides an RJ11 socket for your phone, and an RJ45 socket for your PC or Router.

Installation is free, and for ?45 per month, you get unlimited Internet access and free national calls to landlines.

More info at http://www.iberbanda.es

Signature 

http://www.cavehomes.com
Amazing Andalucian Properties

Posted: 24 May 2007 08:08 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2007-03-15

Is this available in the Alpujarra region?

Posted: 25 May 2007 01:44 AM   [ # 8 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  74
Joined  2007-01-25
fast injun - 24 May 2007 08:08 PM

Is this available in the Alpujarra region?

IberBanda (see link above) are showing availability in the Golco, Mecina Bombaron, Montenegro and Yegen areas.

Signature 

http://www.cavehomes.com
Amazing Andalucian Properties

Posted: 20 June 2007 04:17 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2007-06-20

Hi All,

I live in the Mijas Costa area (as I’m sure you guessed from the username)

I recently started using a WiFi service (won’t mention who)

To be honest it was very bad. Connection issues, slow speed, terrible range etc.
All for 35 euros a month!
Not good.

So… Being a bit of a tech head I shopped around for the best service I could from
Mobile networks.

Surprisingly I found it to be the best move I ever made.

I took out a contract (the only downside) with Orange (formerly Amena)

I got a the hardware for free

I now pay 6 euros a month for the first 2
then 35 thereafter

The connection is fantastic, whereby I can connect wherever there is mobile signal.
Luckily for me this is normally at least 3G.

However the hardware supports the new 3G+ and generally I get this signal giving me a 1.8mb connection.

Admittedly not everyone/everywhere will get this but I have to say I’ve had zero problems with connecting.

The only problem I had was that my laptop runs on Windows Vista which is not compatible with the hardware and there are no known dates for a software (driver) upgrade for this.
However, after a couple of hours digging, I found a fix that works perfectly. Now, no problems at all.

I’m not saying there aren’t some great WiFi / WiMax services out there, just that there weren’t any for me!

Now I take my laptop anywhere I want and if i find a really good WiFi service (unsecured for free access, ssshh!)
Then I don’t bother using the card, but I know that generally wherever I go, I can surf the net.

Vodafone are also offering a really good package which includes the same as above with a free mobile and free national calls (in Spain) for (dont quote me!) 49 euros. Again one downside would be the contract.

Hope this helps!

Posted: 16 October 2007 07:48 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2007-10-16

We’re looking to move to the Nerja, Frigiliana area about 45mins from Malaga. We will also be in a long term rental place… what are the chances of us being able to get access to come kind of wireless or broadband?

What are landlords like about letting you get something like this in rented places and is it easy to do?

Posted: 16 October 2007 07:57 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2007-06-20

We are in a rented apartment and our landlord has allowed us to install Broadband / Telephone, Sky, and is generally ok about making changes.

I guess your question can only really be answered by your landlord though, as some may have a problem with it.

I know that on the Coast though, there are many WIFI providers which reach quite far and wide, however I’m not aware of any in the Nerja area.

I would suggest asking your landlord and taking a look at www *dot* telefonicaonline *dot* com for the latest offers

Posted: 30 December 2007 11:48 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

we couldnt get any off the company to give us Broadband We where to far from the the local exchange so we used mico links and work well cost was that much and works well

Posted: 31 December 2007 02:11 PM   [ # 13 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2007-06-11
magpie - 30 December 2007 02:38 PM

Hi

We are considering a permanent move to Spain during 2008, Internet is critical (no I will say CRITICAL) to me being able to continue my business and I have heard conflicting stories regarding provision in rural Spain.

My sister has lived for 30 years in El Grau on the coast from Castelon de la Plana and we are looking for property west of Castelon between N234 from Sagunto and n232 in the North.

Sis uses ONO for her connection but that will not be available in the region we are looking at, I need peace and quiet for my work - well the creative bit, if that sounds a bit grandois I apologise it’s not but I do a fair bit of writing.

I would welcome any ideas from members as to what is available bearing in mind here in the UK I have been working with 6Mb for the last year, I would appreciate any advice.

cheers

Thre are a few options available, but it is also dependent on availability in your area,

Telelfonica dial, ( Thru tracs or landline), but not suitable ref your statement

SkyDSl, this uses either a mobile or landline for uplink and uses a sat downlink, the download speeds can be quite fast, but obviously the uplink is limited (http://www.teles-skydsl.co.uk/index.php?c=info&s=howitworks )

Broadbanl if you have a landline or apparently one of the new tracs systems,

Wimax/3G if available in your area, you need to research neighbours etc for info

Microlink, this is usually run by a local or operator, who covers a specific area, so this is really down to luck of the draw, again you will need to canvass neighbours and local retail outlets for info. ( for some strange reason these types of offers seem poorly advertised) (I hve been running off a micro link system for about 2+ years now and am reasonably happy. (for example in the Elche, Pinoso, Elda area there is a company called Comenersol offering a reasonable level of service, another company to try would be citrus red s.l.)

Sat uplink, Sat downlink,  These are reliable and offer good speeds, they are also available in any area, subject to a good line of sight to the Sat and you have a suitable location for the dish,  Ideal for the remote location.  Install cost is high at about 2000? with monthly charge at about 65?

If your requirement is critical, and speed is important, the Sat to Sat is ideal, but expensive.

I have Contact numbers for Comenersol, Sat-to-Sat, and Citrus Red S.l. if you require.

Signature 

Mike

Posted: 01 January 2008 07:10 PM   [ # 14 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

skydsl net is good but speed uplinking via a phone line are slow ( same as dail up ) that what you using know few mates that have used them in the pasted so do what we did got a micro link we bought off a company in Ireland , that cam out to spain fitted and had up and run fast and with day we payed for it that were in touch with company and paper work was sorted by them and 3 week later we had up and running that even have a spanish back account you can pay in two

jurdy

Posted: 17 March 2008 02:09 PM   [ # 15 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2006-07-30

In reality it really depends upon your requirements!

Horses for courses as they say!

Dial up works well for some people, 3G works very well for others, then you have Wifi & WiMax, which gives you an Internet Access Point mainly in areas where there is no landline infrastructure or where good old Telefonica can?t or want provide a landline.

3G for instance is good, but quite expensive for what you get. If however you only want to check emails and book flights, you probably can do this with 3G. So for a business man or woman on the move it can be a very good solution to give Internet Access on the move as an ad hock solution.

If like me you need internet access connected all the time, every moment that I am in the office, the computer is on and connected to the internet, 3G would cost an absolute fortune!

Also, 3G set up for older people, who make up the majority of expats living in Spain, is an issue, although it is quite simple and straight forwards most of the time. It is of course when you have a problem you need an increased level of technical understanding to resolve the issue. Then of course as you have purchased your 3G from Spain, it depends upon how helpful the shop you bought the 3G from will be.

The best solution is always a Copper Cable e.g. a Telefonica Landline, this is of course always there and does not suffer from the need to rely on someone keeping the system going & maintenance and up keep like, many systems do here in Spain.

There are many Wifi / WiMax systems provided by individual Companies all over Spain, now. They all require at the transmission end, an ongoing up keep and maintenance, most of the companies are using the same equipment but the service varies widely from Company to Company. This is because the Content Management System that control access and delivery of your internet, is not managed well.

The better the system is managed the less time outs you will have and the better consistent speeds you will receive.

Iberbanda is a national company partly owned by the Spanish government and Telefonica. Therefore we are back to the fantastic service that Telefoncia offers its clients!

We supply any system anywhere in Spain, for Internet Access and Broadband.

Whatever your requirements, whether it be Landline, fixed internet access, high speed internet access, Wlan, WWAN, Direct two-way Broadband to your property, Satellite Broadband systems, Wimax.

You will find that we at Satcomms will be able to help you resolve you problems. http://satcomms.info

Signature 

Roger

http://www.uktelevision.info

1 2 3 >  Last ›
1 of 6