Help!! I need to enroll my son in school in Cordoba and he doesn’t speak any Spanish
Posted: 19 August 2010 03:13 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-08-19

My son is 11 years old and we both have dual American/Spanish citizenship, we just moved back to Spain (Cordoba) last month in order to be closer to family, but now I’m having a really hard time trying to figure out a school for him. I can’t put him in public school since he doesn’t know any Spanish, and the only public bi-lingual schools here have no spots available for him, the only other option is the British private school but the tuition fees are outrageous…help!! Is there some kind of special programs for kids in this situation or scholarship??? Something???

Posted: 19 August 2010 10:36 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  453
Joined  2008-12-30

odonme,
many immigrants (arabs, chinese, other europeans) from non-spanish speaking countries are in the same situation as you.
they just put their kids in school and in a matter of months they speak perfect spanish.
one of my workmates said his parents put him to school in an elementary school in the usa (he is a spaniard) when he was a kid, and he did not speak english but after a few months he just started speaking english. he is a perfect bilingual, i can’t detect a foreign accent, he speaks english like an american and spanish like a spaniard.
don’t worry about it. in two months he’ll speak spanish with a cordoban accent.