Changing name on Spanish passport after marriage - HELP!
Posted: 07 September 2010 05:23 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-09-07

Hi,

I am having a huge issue with name change?

I was born in Brazil and as my father is Spanish I have a Spanish passport. In my Brazilian passport I have both my mother and father?s surnames and the same goes for my Spanish passport. I currently live in Australia and have only recently gotten married to an Australian citizen, therefore have decided to adopt his surname. Now, here is the problem, I have changed all of my Australian related documents, and even got a change of name certificate to use my father?s surname and add my husband?s surname. I will be able to change my name on my Brazilian passport so long I have the change of name certificate which is good news.. but I have just got off a call with someone in the Spanish Consulate in Sydney, who by the way was very rude and not helpful at all, she actually hung up on me!!! Who said that I couldn?t change my name to my married name and that she could hand write something on my passport to say that I am married to my husband? as if that is going to mean anything to the Australian government when I come in and out of the country!!

I am really disappointed with the Spanish consulate, and as I am a very proud Spanish citizen I thought there would be someone out there who would have had a similar issue to mine that might be able to tell me if there is any issue in having one name on my passport which is where I hold my Australian residency and another name on my Australian documentation (i.e. drivers license, bank accounts, mortgages, etc?)

HELP anyone!!! 😊

Posted: 07 September 2010 12:08 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  453
Joined  2008-12-30

amanda,

your last names as a spanish citizen are legally determined by your parents, not by your spouse. that means you adjust to the law, not the other way around.
there is no such thing as a married name for spaniards.  the spanish passport is based on the birth certificate, not on the marriage certificate.

you can have different names on your australian documents and brazilian documents.
so if you enter or leave australia you use your brazilian passport and australian resident card.
if you enter or leave brazil, you use your brazilian passport.
if you enter or leave europe you use your spanish passport.

if you use a credit card to pay, and you are asked to show identification, you show the passport or id that has the same name as the credit.

Posted: 07 September 2010 12:16 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-09-07

thank you for you reply,

I understand your view and somewhat agree with the Spanish way but the only issue I have is that my Australian residency is on my Spanish passport and cannot be transfered as this is the passport I used to do all of my visa paperwork for the past 4 years. When I enter or leave Australia I have to use my Spanish passport as there is no such thing as Australian card like they have in the US. I agree with you on the other documents and will utilise the other documents accordingly..

thanks again.

Posted: 07 September 2010 01:30 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-12-30

amanda,
how do you show you are an australian immigrant? driver licence? residence card?
in australia, you don’t normally carry your passport with you i suppose.
is the australian residency stamped on your passport?

Posted: 11 September 2010 02:32 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-09-07

Hi,

Yes, my residency is stamped on my passport and I normally use my driver’s license within the country for identification as well as for domestic flights, however for international flights I have to use my spanish passport as this is where my residency visa is. I will also have to book international flights under my maiden name as there will be discrepancy between my passport name and the booking name if I use my new married name…

Amanda

Posted: 11 September 2010 03:07 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-12-30

amandaoz,

i hope you don’t mind my saying you are creating your own problems.
in my opinion, australia should only allow change of names of foreigners if the foreigners can change their names in their passports which is their main identification document. i think you should have waited until you get your australian citizenship and passport before changing your names officially.
can’t you just go on using your maiden name officially and introduce yourself to society and friends as mrs + married name until you get your australian citizenship?

anyway, if the australian resident permit that is stamped on your passport is in your maiden name, then you just have to show the change of name certificate allowing you to change names to show the connection between the australian immigration documents under your married name and the resident permit and your passport.

if the australian resident permit that is stamped on your passport is in your married name, that means the australian authorities knew they were stamping your passport with a resident permit with a different name, so they do not care about the name discrepancies.

your residence permit is only important to enter and live in australia not if you travel abroad.

Posted: 03 August 2016 03:14 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2016-07-29

If you want good Spanish names visit here babynology website

Posted: 16 September 2016 10:12 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2016-09-16

Queensport;s Speech Fifa 17 Coins occasion will kick off Aug 20 with King Jennah revealing something quite unique to mark the occasion then, on Aug 31, players can get involved in Guild Conflicts 2′s first Anniversary Bash and Invitational Tournament. Characters developed returning when Guild Conflicts 2 first released will also get wedding gifts from the studio, while new gw2 power stabilizing competitive changes are as follows: World vs. World XP and Point improvements game; the World XP rates are Fifa 17 Points Account increasingWesport;re which causes it to be simpler to earn World XP factors for enjoying normally in.

Posted: 30 May 2018 12:18 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2018-05-30

There’s a law, that when you register a newborn in Spain they will honor your naming customs if you’re a foreigner. So the children may get his first surname and you first maiden name. You may also decide to let your name go first and his second.