Places to visit & things to see - YOUR SUGGESTIONS HERE!!
Posted: 30 April 2007 02:28 PM  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  235
Joined  2007-04-25

Hi,

just thought I would start a thread on places to visit and things to see. The reason? well, I imagine that like myself, everyone that posts on the forums here likes to travel and explore their new Spanish surroundings. With that in mind, I thought it might be an idea to start a thread where people can share knowledge of places worth visiting.

As I live in Granada province, I can share my knowledge of the wonderful places I’ve been to, some obvious like the Alhambra and Nazrid palaces in Granada, to not so obvious, like Los Cahorras, a super gorge at the base of the Sierra Nevada, near to Monachil.

I’ll get the ball rolling with a couple of places I’ve visited…

Signature 

Visit our website - http://www.granadapropertyreform.com

“Dedicated to making your Spanish house a home”

Posted: 30 April 2007 02:55 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  235
Joined  2007-04-25

Los Cahorros, Monachil, Granada

I was first pointed in the direction of Los Cahorros by I client who I was fitting a kitchen for in the old village of Monachil (Monachil Pueblo). It is a 5 minute drive heading from Monachil along the back road to the Ski Station and Ski Resort. It is also well signposted, with ample parking off the road.

One weekend my wife and I decided to take a look. We were rewarded with stunning scenery and an exiting walk. It is worth noting that it is well worth wearing sensible walking shoes. Although you will see lots of serious hikers and walkers, the pathways have been well made to ensure that virtually anyone can enjoy Los Cahorras.

As you walk from the parking area down the gorge itself, there are two routes to take which are signposted “Bajo”, base or “Alto” high. Whenever we go, we usually take the base route and return via the high route. Via the base route you walk alongside the Rio Monachil, corossing at various points over sturdy timber and steel “rope” bridges. Following this route takes you through a covered canopy of trees accompanied by the wonderful sound of the river below.

As you climb higher, you are eventually brought to what is probably the main attraction for many to Los Cahorros - The 150ft span “rope” bridge. This takes you over a deep section of gorge, into which runs two beautiful waterfalls. This spot is breathtaking, not only for it’s natural beauty, but because you will often see “freestyle” rock climbers scaling the sheer cliffs surrounding the gorge.

Once at the other side of the bridge, you will continue along a sheer sided canyon. Be prepared as you head along the canyon, because as we found out, there are a couple of points where you need to “bum-shimmy” along the path below overhanging rocks. It’s quite amusing to see the various ways people handle these obstacles. We usually sit and “bum-shimmy” our way past Others pass on all fours, some brave souls even take off their shoes and socks and drop down into the river. I say brave because in springtime you have the snow melt flowing and the water is ice cold!

After a couple of “bum shimmy’s” you will reach a 100ft cave, where you walk underneath huge boulders that form the roof of the cave. It is thought that these fell hundreds of thousands of years ago, forming the tunnel you will pass through. Out the other side, continuing the follow the footpath and the river, you reach an area that opens out widely, allowing you view up to the tops of the mountains surrounding you. This is where we normally stop for a bite to eat before making our way back.

You can continue in a number of directions here, even all the way to the ski resort, but looking at the routes, would suggest they are for more hardy walkers, hikers and climbers.

If you do make it to Los Cahorros, I’m sure you’ll enjoy the natural beauty of the location. The walk that I’ve described can usually be done in about 2 hours there and back to the car park, at a steady pace.

Signature 

Visit our website - http://www.granadapropertyreform.com

“Dedicated to making your Spanish house a home”

Posted: 11 June 2007 04:40 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2007-05-27

Valencia is often overlooked. it is not a small place, a large city, but it is excellent, so many things to see and to do, in my opinion a lot more interesting than Barcelona. Yet forums are full of posts on Barcelona, so i thought i should mention Valencia here

Signature 

Valencia City Guide
Complete Tourist Guide to Valencia

Posted: 26 June 2007 05:04 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  66
Joined  2007-06-08

Peublo espagnol, in Barcelona, I would recommend. I know it’s a fake, disneyworld type of experience, but it does show a side of spain that people tend to overlook.

Or: just drive into the pirenees, and spend 2 days there, fascinatingly beautiful.

West/ north coast. A completely different side of spain. Rough, and real men.

Montserrat is also nice. Bit north of barcelona. It’s one of the most holy places in Spain.

Posted: 06 October 2007 02:13 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2006-07-04

I’m not too familiar with the area where you’re living. I’ve visited Granada, Sevilla, and Cordoba, which were all great places to visit but most of the places I’ve been to have been in the North. But some of the more memorable places have been:
Avila -Great medieval city with impressive stone walls.
Los Picos de Europa -beautiful & green with a plentitude of hiking. If you’re looking for an escape from the summer heat it was only about 70?F when we went in July. It’s in Asturias.
Salamanca -gorgeous university. Renowned night-life too if you’re into that.
San Sebastian -Lovely seaside city. A bit expensive though. You’ll see Basque language as (or more) often as Spanish.
Barcelona -of course.

Anyone been to Cadiz or Malaga? La costa blanca? We’d like to visit them one day-It’s just such a long trip from the North that we really want to make sure it’ll be worth it first! Anything else exceptional down there?